Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front suspension: preload adjustable?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
deerHater

Front suspension: preload adjustable? Empty
PostSubject: Front suspension: preload adjustable?   Front suspension: preload adjustable? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Not yet taken delivery of my new 09 WR250X.
I've read the suspension is fully adjustable, but never read anything about adjusting front preload. Is it possible?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension: preload adjustable?   Front suspension: preload adjustable? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Fork spring preload is not externally adjustable.
You can externally adjust compression and rebound damping.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension: preload adjustable?   Front suspension: preload adjustable? EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Anybody know if there exists aftermarket fork 'caps' to adjust front spring preload?
I know it is available for earlier Suzuki SV650S bikes (but maybe easier assessability for them because they have clipon bars?)

I always like to get spring preload sag set up correctly on a bike before messing with the compression and/or rebound damping...
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension: preload adjustable?   Front suspension: preload adjustable? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 am

AFAIK, the only way to adjust the front preload is to change out the springs. AZTOM here has done that on his R², so he might chime in on that.. but you might have to ask him in the general forum. From what i understand, the x front springs are optomized for about a 200# rider.. a little stiff for me, but i've just lived with it. Maybe someday i'll swap out the front springs, or trade with someone who wants the stiffer x springs. The back is the same, which is why many get the 'pogo' effect. We try to take out some of the stiffness of the springs by turning the compression & rebound damping way down, but then the stiff spring just launches you over the bars.

I guess yamaha wanted to make it as universal as possible, & still have some handling for 2 up riders. I suppose a suspension makeover is necessary to really dial it in for each of our riding styles & unique characteristics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension: preload adjustable?   Front suspension: preload adjustable? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 11:12 pm

deerHater wrote:
Anybody know if there exists aftermarket fork 'caps' to adjust front spring preload?
I know it is available for earlier Suzuki SV650S bikes (but maybe easier assessability for them because they have clipon bars?)

I always like to get spring preload sag set up correctly on a bike before messing with the compression and/or rebound damping...

before the aftermarkets were made, people used to take the stock caps and machine them to accept an adjuster. Perhaps the same could be done with these forks. Athough the cheaper way to do it is just go to the hardware store and buy a length of PVC or ABS tubing. Cut several lengths and by trial and error find the right length to give you appropriate sag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front suspension: preload adjustable?   Front suspension: preload adjustable? Empty

Back to top Go down

Front suspension: preload adjustable?
Page 1 of 1