Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?

Go down 
+13
mordicai
stumo
WRXer
Hertz
nikkiwr
bmathew
Medski
YZEtc
usgpru27
Kalani Prince
jundat
nirvana
Cool#9
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cool#9

Cool#9

Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? Empty
PostSubject: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 11:50 am

Is anyone currently using the Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust, or had prior experience with one?

I am considering one for my WR250X as an alternative to the FMF Q4, but haven't seen it mentioned in the last year.
Don't know if it's because FMF is more popular for dual sports, or if there are issues with the Yoshimura.

Back to top Go down
nirvana

nirvana

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Very happy I have a Yoshi rs-2 pipe on my X and I think it is a very high quality pipe..It sounds great and is not very loud at all..I have the FMF(on my XR650L) I like it also..FMF seems to make good products,but the Yoshi is a way higher level of quality..If you could see the pipes side by side you would understand what I am talking about.I only paid $305 shipped for the Yoshi..Biohazard cycle parts I think is the name..They are in Florida..Hope this helps thumb
Back to top Go down
jundat

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:20 am

i have 2, after 2 day search in youtube, i order and now, with my X, the sound i think better than FMF :)
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 2:29 am

I love mine : ) here's a before and after! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGHLhmLcGpA
Back to top Go down
Cool#9

Cool#9

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 11:23 pm

Nice video!

I'm sold. Thank y'all for your feedback. This goes at the top of my 2011 mod list.
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:30 am

Sorry.. do not want to hijack but would like to ask a really stupid question. I am new to this stuff. What is the ring around the expansion chambers on some bikes?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:57 am

Do you mean like this?:

Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? MedDSC00004
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Yes that is it... I have no idea?
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 3:03 pm

It's basicly a frame slider but for the exhaust so it doesnt get sratch if lowsided.
Back to top Go down
bmathew

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 pm

I saw the yoshimura video. Do you need power commander with this exhaust?
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks Medski... My guess was so you could lean your bike against something so it would not damage the pipe.. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
nikkiwr

nikkiwr

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm

bmathew wrote:

do you? i am wondering the same thing. also thinking about getting yoshi exhaust.
Back to top Go down
jundat

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:35 pm

bmathew wrote:
Yes, i use Bazzaz Z-Fi Mx. Have 2 map. One for normal mode with Exhau and one for race :)
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:48 pm

No you don't NEED a programmer with any exhaust. This is especially true if that's the only mod you've done. They help a lot. But it is definitely not necessary.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Hertz wrote:
No you don't NEED a programmer with any exhaust. This is especially true if that's the only mod you've done. They help a lot. But it is definitely not necessary.

But without a PC why bother. Get the PC first.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 1:14 pm

WRXer wrote:
Hertz wrote:

But without a PC why bother. Get the PC first.

My Powercore 4 made a noticeable difference when I put it on with no other performance mods whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Your right if its louder it must be better. Get the pipe first & worry about correcting the mixture that is already off straight from the factory later.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 10:49 pm

WRXer wrote:
Your right if its louder it must be better. Get the pipe first & worry about correcting the mixture that is already off straight from the factory later.

Yeah my flame decals added like 5 HP too. Rolling Eyes When did dB levels become part of this discussion?? Just because you don't want a loud bike or don't think the aftermarket exhausts sounds good doesn't mean everyone feels the same.

All I did was answer the question. I don't disagree with you that a programmer is a really good decision.
Back to top Go down
stumo

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 am

usgpru27 wrote:
Thanks Medski... My guess was so you could lean your bike against something so it would not damage the pipe.. Thanks!

It's for leaning your bike against the floor! Very happy
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 pm

stumo wrote:
usgpru27 wrote:

It's for leaning your bike against the floor! Very happy

Its bound to happen.. As long as my leg gets out of the way I am all good! My Graves will not be so happy tho!
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 am

If you have seen a PC map of a BONE STOCK WR you will see it adds as much as +23% in some areas & subtracts as much as -16% in others. The stock map is all over the board. Its OK here, rich there, lean in this area & horribly lean in this other area. You throw a pipe on top of that now you thow it off an additional X% when it was way off to even start with. Maybe you make a gain here & there but I guaranteee you loose over there & up over there. BTW since I HAVE an RS-2 the map I run with it adds 30% yes 30% more fuel in some areas of the map. Do you really want to run a pipe & be 30% off on fuel from where you should be?---not to mention you won't be anywhere near where you COULD be.

Saying you can afford a $300 pipe for a $5000 bike but not afford a $300 programmer is like saying you can afford a $5000 bike but not a $100 helmet. Naturally get the helmet before the bike & PC before the pipe.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:32 am

Hey WRXer, thanks for the impute on the Yosh., and the speedo CO adjustment. So which pc do I get? Or are they all the same?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:43 am

WRXer wrote:
If you have seen a PC map of a BONE STOCK WR you will see it adds as much as +23% in some areas & subtracts as much as -16% in others. The stock map is all over the board. Its OK here, rich there, lean in this area & horribly lean in this other area. You throw a pipe on top of that now you thow it off an additional X% when it was way off to even start with. Maybe you make a gain here & there but I guaranteee you loose over there & up over there.
We're getting a little off the pipe thread thing, but even though I'm not a performance guy thinking of a programmer, I'm curious about what you just posted.

I'm sort of assuming that when a new bike lands in an owners hands, the vast majority of them are correctly mapped for whatever Yamaha was intending to achieve - not necessarily what the owner wants, but what Yamaha's objectives are.

You're saying, however, that the stock map is all over the board - too rich in one area, too lean in another, etc? Is this to say that Yamaha for whatever reason gives us mapping on new bikes that are a crap shoot? Or that mapping is too rich, too lean, whatever when viewed from our point of view and what WE want? i.e. their stock fuel map correctly achieves their goal of maximum fuel economy, but is very wrong for us if we're all about squeezing all the power available out of that engine?

If the stock map is a crap shoot, then that suggests even a motorcycle backwoods tourist who likes tuning for economy instead of max power when it can be over a 100 miles between gas stations should consider the benefits of a programmer? And if you have no faith in the butt dyno approach, how would you then tune for best results? Lots of variables there.

Thanks! Cool info in the other thread, incidentally.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 am

I am far from an expert but here goes my probably over simplified explanation:

Obviously the stock Yamaha map will run the bike efficiently & reliably for the lifetime of the machine--thats why it is the stock map.

Normally the user of a programmer's goal would be max power--everywhere (or as you mentioned maybe max fuel economy). Needless to say max power would be pretty far down on Yamaha's list. They are concerned with emissions, the types of gases the cat converter would see, sound, driveability, & of course anvil like reliabilty--in all kind of odd & rare situations like WFO for 6 hours straight or 120 degrees in the middle of the desert at walking speeds for hour etc.

Speraking to a bone stock bike--with the base map. There may be areas Yamaha needs to pull fuel (lean) for cruising MPG, emmisions or sound testing (like the eintire airbox flapper closing to cut sound at the sound test conditions so the fuel map matches it but I digress). There may be areas Yamaha needs to add extra fuel (rich) to maybe keep the engine from overheating if it were operated that way for a long period time. There are areas where they have no other constraints & CAN tune for max power (no change needed). Further the flow charactoristics of the airbox, engine, pipe, etc dictate it to some extent. Any engine/intake/exhaust setup has inherent charactoristics that yuou can't change---sometimes pressure pulses aid in drawing in a fresh fuel/air mixture & evacuating the spent gases. Sometimes the opposite is true--pressure pulses stuff spent gases back through the engine towards the intake. You need to tune for these. WHen the system wants more mixture you can give it to it---when it will not accept any more fuel mixture thats it & if you add more fuel it would just be wasted & a burbling mess---IE flat spots on any engine. So the Yamaha map may be lean in a spot but if it is due to the flow charactoristics that the engine will flat out not accept any more mixture at that RPM/load situation you are stuck. Now if you blindly cram more fuel in with a programmer it will just kill your MPG, carbon up your combustion chamber & exhaust, etc. Yamaha at least sees this & cuts the excess fuel but yahoos like me look at the map & say "its lean" without the full understanding of why it is that way---any extra would just be waste.

Now. Add a pipe, or a pipe & header, or a pipe & header & holes in the airbox---now you just screwed up what a team of engineers has done. The flow charactoristics have changed. Now what was a lean flat spot originally will now accept more fuel (but only if you add a programmer & give it to it). Now that oringinally sweet spot in the stock base map is a dead spot & is stuffing the airflow back towards the airbox--because of the changes in pipe/airbox/etc. so you need to lean the map from stock even though it was fine before (if you have a programmer that leans it).

The reason I like the Power Commander line as opposed to other programmers is exactly as you described:

Quote :
And if you have no faith in the butt dyno approach, how would you then tune for best results? Lots of variables there

That is EXACTLY what I think. Not only will I admit I am no where near a Rossi to have a well calibrated butt dyno; my faith in the butt dynos of others is even less. I at least know I don't know---the other guys don't even know that they don't know. Properly fueling an engine, especially a modern one with fuel injection, senors, ECU, etc etc. is beyond complicated. Yamaha sticks a TEAM of engineers trained in FI systems to generate the base map. To think that some yokle in his garage, armed with nothing more than a Doobeck style programmer & a printout of an internet post is going to magically dial up some +2, +5, +8, +1 numbers on the programmer & better what Yamaha did AFTER the yahoo has added a pipe, cut holes in their airbox & blindly stuffed resisters in the servo plug is wishful thinking. Even worse with the CO settings. No one, ME INCLUDED, FULLY understands the damn things yet everybody & their brother thinks with the bike not even running they will win some kind of mapping lottery by picking the correct numbers & improve on the map.

With Power Commanders the maps are at least generated on a dyno--the bike is set up with an exhaust sniffer & the operator programs in target air fuel ratios. The dyno then communicates with the Power Commander & creates a map to achieve the desired air fuel ratios. So at the very least PC maps have a GOAL (the AF ratio) and verificatiuon the goal was ACHIEVED by creating the map. The auto tune basically does the same thing but on the bike itself as you go without the dyno. Now, you can screw up a PC map. The operator has to know what they are doing--consistant engine & air temps with dyno runs, properly set up the exhaust sniffer, use proper AF ratios etc.; but with a decent operator the map should at least have some assurance the map is good. I had a PC on another bike---worked great---but some gremlin made it hard to start after 4 years of use--can't explain it. DJ has its problems too, I am no salesman for them, I just think it is currently the best option out there.

mordicai if you want a PC get the PC V (five) over the PCIII. They work on 08s too.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 2:22 am

Sounds logical and comprehensible. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?   Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust? Empty

Back to top Go down

Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next