Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!

Go down 
+14
thumper_tx
clapped_r6
greer
mwakey
Chadx
King Wolf
Notsolegit
turboedmsp
asheville thumper
MeefZah
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
mtb
BPG
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BPG

BPG

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! Empty
PostSubject: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 8:47 pm

I wanted a semi-permanent way to carry a decent amount of tools on the bike. The stock tool kit is ridiculously tiny, as we all know - it would take less time to make the repair than figure out how to get all the tools back into that puny case - plus you have a pretty limited tool assortment.

I thought of using a tailbag for a tool case, but decided against this for several reasons - it's a lot easier to get on/off the bike in really hairy terrain when there's no bag on the rear, if I DO have a bag on the rear I'd rather use the space for clothing/lunch/spare water/etc.; and also I need that space for my hard case when commuting. Also, I wanted some sort of case that is ALWAYS on the bike, no matter what luggage I'm running (I change luggage a lot depending if I'm adventure-touring, commuting, or running practically nekkid thumb on harsh trails!

So in short, I liked the location of the stock tool kit, as it's out of the way of any future luggage endeavors. So I decided to make a bigger tool case:

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 002

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 001

Not terribly complicated - I used 4" black schedule 40 PVC pipe & fittings, and a pre-drilled 3' chunk of galvanized angle steel (2-1/4" X 1-1/2") from Lowes. The front/lower part of the mounting bracket is held on by the two passenger peg bolts (I replaced the soft allen stockers with SS hex-head bolts):
potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 026

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 023

For the rear/upper mount, you could remove the lock and use the mounting plate behind it. Instead, I welded a chunk of steel to the frame tubing below the helmet lock. Reason being - I eventually want to beef up my rear rack and maybe add saddlebag
racks in the future (and would need bracket attachment points there anyway), AND I liked having the helmet lock there:
potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 0302

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 014

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 012

After some dry-fitting I decided to cut the pipe to 16" and glued the end caps on. From there it was a simple matter to thread the SS hose clamps through the handy oval slots in the angle steel. Eventually I'll paint the angle steel semi-gloss black.
I wasn't sure how hillbilly this whole thing would come out, but I figure after a good patina of mud it'll blend in pretty well with the bike's lines.
potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 011

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 003

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 007

An added bonus is that it provides a very stable platform for strapping some trail maintenance tools (folding saw, hatchet, etc.), or a fishing rod or whatever. Mainly it's nice knowing that the needed tools are ALWAYS there and relatively accessible. And if I want to hit some ultra-aggressive rocky/steep singletrack, I can go back to the stock toolkit setup in less than a minute...

Oh yeah - to make tool retrieval easy and to keep the tools organized, I picked up these handy nylon/canvas-type zippered (and divided) tool bags from Home Depot - only $2.20 each! cheers
potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 006

Last edited by BPG on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 9:27 pm

that looks interesting thumb

I wanted to do the similar thing for carrying my bike cover.... but my backpack will do for now Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 1:07 am

Wooo!! Rocket launcher FTW!!! thumb Nicely done, I have to admit. Your tail rack is interesting as well.

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 10:45 am

Very nice job. It evens out the back end of the bike too, very good job.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Tool tube   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:50 pm

I looked through the 4 pages and didn't see anything like this on here, so I'm adding my tool tube project.

This is an Agri-Supply $5.00 tube, mounted to the subframe using some scrap bolts, washers, nuts, a nylon spacer up top (through the existing tool kit strap mount), and an old handlebar top clamp bolted through the backside of the existing passenger peg mounting bracket.

I plan on carrying spare fuel in this (in an MSR bottle, not just sloshing around).

Your thoughts, please???? I haven't decided if I like it or not yet.

Link to the product:

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=67670&bhcd2=1243363667

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! WRparts001

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! WRparts003
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 3:26 pm

I think it looks good. What size MSR bottle can you get in there?
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 4:06 pm

asheville thumper wrote:
I think it looks good. What size MSR bottle can you get in there?

Ungh, I knew someone was gonna ask, and I 'm not sure what size I have.

I believe I have the 22 oz, and it fits easily, with room to spare. I was told the "biggest size", maybe a 32 oz (if they make one that big?) will fit perfectly.

Lets just say they should all fit!
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Great idea, love mine!

Keeps the weight down low, and really like having the tools ALWAYS on the bike and weatherproof - leaves the rear rack free for whatever I want on it - or absolutely nothing on it, which I prefer in really rough terrain.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f5/potato-cannon-dual-exhaust-tool-tube-t388.htm

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 007

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 003
Back to top Go down
turboedmsp

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:04 pm

nice!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:05 pm

I still get a kick out of that thing...it looks like dual exhaust. thumb

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyWed May 27, 2009 3:06 am

Good idea mate, Might steal it one day :]
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyWed May 27, 2009 2:16 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I still get a kick out of that thing...it looks like dual exhaust. thumb
Not the intent of the location/placement, but I have to admit when I stood back to look at it after the dust cleared, I had the same thought!

Very happy
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri May 29, 2009 1:16 am

I am liking the looks/idea of this.
I just might have to order me one of those and hook it up.
Not that i dont like BPG potato gun hook up LOL...i just think its a little big for me.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:24 pm

For $5, you can't really go wrong.

I tried it out on about a 60 mile trail ride a few days ago, it held up well. I dropped the bike once on the side with the tube attached, and there was no problem; the tube didn't budge or crack.

I've decided I like it, and am gonna keep it on.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:35 pm

MeefZah wrote:
I dropped the bike once on the side with the tube attached, and there was no problem; the tube didn't budge or crack.

That's the other thing I like about the tool tube - it's like another bumper for those times that me, the bike, and gravity have a disagreement! Very happy
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri May 29, 2009 1:57 pm

meefzah,
I just noticed your tail light/signal/plate mod. Maybe I missed it in another thread. Did you post a description of that mod elsewhere? I'm curious of the details.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri May 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Chadx wrote:
meefzah,
I just noticed your tail light/signal/plate mod. Maybe I missed it in another thread. Did you post a description of that mod elsewhere? I'm curious of the details.

No, I haven't posted it elsewhere.

It is a set of Buell signals off a Blast ($15/ea) and a generic (possibly made by Acerbis) fender and tail/brake light ($20). I say "possibly" because it has, among the DOT and CE markings, the logo "made in Italy" but no mfg details.

I've been using the same setup on the KLX250 for a while and I like it, it looks a bit wierd but the light is bright, the signals are visible and tucked in enough to not get broken, and the sideways plate looks trick.

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! WR250Rstuff004
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Update: 1500 miles later, the tool tube and mounts are holding up well.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:10 pm

thumb Awesome to hear!

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 8:17 am

Tool tube broke off today after I looped the WR end over end down a hill.

Damn it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 am

cry Hope you're ok...how did the bike fair after its cartwheel?

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 pm

SheWolf wrote:
cry Hope you're ok...how did the bike fair after its cartwheel?

Oh, I'm fine. No worries there.

Bike was pretty much okay. The hill was steep, about 70 degrees, maybe. Had a large "hump" halfway up and then got a bit steeper at the top. The last few feet had large knurled roots across. I wasn't expecting to make it, but I wanted to try it.

I technically did make it (the second time), because as I was being flung off the bike it catapaulted to the top of the hill before it came crashing down. I landed on top of the hill, so I'm gonna count it.

Damage was very minor. I was pleased. Broke a rear signal (Buell, just snapped it back together), broke the tool tube, bent the shifter lever into the case (bent it back out by hand), bent the clutch side handguard back, bent and later broke the clutch lever. Clutch side footpeg got jammed in the up position but a few blows with a handy rock got it back to where it was supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Tool Tube and/or MSR bottle holder   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:21 pm

I was looking around for tool tube ideas when I found a cool idea on ADV and another forum. Some guys over there are using these tractor owner's manual tubes from the Agri Supply store. They are hard plastic tubes with a screw cap and seal. AND as a bonus, the MSR 33oz. fuel bottle will fit in one perfectly. The only problem I see is the mounting on our bikes. I was thinking of fabbing some brackets and mounting it to the subframe where the stock toolkit is now. Those of you with tail racks or panniers could also make some sort of mount for these things. They would make great tool tubes too.

You can buy these tubes for $4.99 from the Agri Supply Store

I gleaned this photo from another forum...

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 33oz_MSR_tube

Here's a pic with the cap on. They are 12" long and 3 1/4" in diameter...

potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! 67670

They say the yellow writing on the side and top of the cap can be removed easily with some brake cleaner. I'm going to order one and a 33oz. MSR bottle. I'll figure out how to mount it once I get it. For the price, you can't beat it!
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 10:26 pm

I had one, in fact I posted a review on here. I had it mounted in the place of the OEM toolkit, one bolt through the metal toolkit bracket and one through the top passenger footpeg bracket mounting hole.

I pulled the pictures, though, because the tube broke off during a tip over. It did hold up well for a while, but it won't last if you use your bike off road.
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 10:33 pm

I was thinking of cutting off the mounting pads on the tube and just using some band clamps which should make it more secure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!   potato cannon??  dual exhaust?  Tool Tube! Empty

Back to top Go down

potato cannon?? dual exhaust? Tool Tube!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next