Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

East Coast WRR Pricing???

Go down 
+9
foofighter
mattf
BuilderBob
Midnite171
liftdt4r
Hertz
Jäger
eyty
DougZ
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

East Coast WRR Pricing??? Empty
PostSubject: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 7:47 pm

I called my local dealer today, to see what he had in stock and how much they were going for. MSRP..he had a 2010 for $6390, and a 2011 for $6490. I guess no discount for last year models??

What have people been paying?? Anyone getting them on the east coast for less than MSRP?

I am gonna buy, just do not wanna spend more than I need to.

Thanks for any input.
Back to top Go down
eyty

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Here's one Doug only couple hundred miles away

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2008-Yamaha-Wr250r--96611106
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:01 pm

wow...that is the right price, but not the right year. I am looking for 2010 and up...maybe a 2009 if the price is right.

5 hrs 21 minutes is a tad far too......I'd eat a ton of gas in the truck just going to get it. thanks though.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 pm

DougZ wrote:
wow...that is the right price, but not the right year. I am looking for 2010 and up...maybe a 2009 if the price is right.
'08 with all the most popular farkles - $4000

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t3852-fs-2008-wr250r-many-extras

If you're one of those panicking about "the fuel pump issue", you can ask the seller what date the bike was manufactured.

Or take some of the $2400 you'll save (not counting future farkle expenses already done on this bike), spend a couple of hundred bucks, and buy a new fuel pump.

I forget who I shipped with, but Ohio to Montana for my new '08 only cost $400 and change. Still beats paying $6400 for the same bike, unfarkled, from a later year.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

You know from ADV..I am going to stay away from the 08's and their potential fuel pump failures. I know you mentioned it only happened with a small production range, and respond with long enough replies to make one think you might actually work for Yamaha. LOL

But, I work in quality control, and have some more in depth information about quality specifically in automotive applications, and even something as low as a 1% failure rate, is considered unacceptably high...even though it would not seem so to most.

Anyway, I do want to continue the debate about failure rates of the fuel pumps....but I will say I am interested in buying a brand new bike. I have not bought a new bike is six years, so its time.

Thanks for the link anyway...but only new for me.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:44 pm

To my knowledge, they haven't changed anything about the fuel pump's design. 1% over the entire range of production would be one thing. What was observed with the early 08 models was very concentrated.

That brand new 08 for 5000 vs. the brand new 11 for 6500, that's not including the difference in taxes. A fuel pump costs 200 bucks and that's if you can't get it replaced for free like most do. And that's assuming it even fails. In my opinion anything from the last 2/3rds or 08 has the same chance for failure as that 11. It is your money however.

Last edited by Hertz on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 9:46 pm

I just bought a brandy new '11 3 weeks ago, I paid 6190 for it and that was after haggling for an hour or so. I wound up not paying their setup/freight charges, I was like 6800 with tax.

This is the first new bike I've ever owned and I did it for the sake of buying new, you can definitely get a way better deal used.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 am

DougZ wrote:
You know from ADV..I am going to stay away from the 08's and their potential fuel pump failures. I know you mentioned it only happened with a small production range, and respond with long enough replies to make one think you might actually work for Yamaha. LOL
And here I thought you were an agent saboteur trying to make the nervous folks run to the nearest Kawasaki dealer instead...

Never worked a day for Yamaha in my life. Just take exception to this apparently unending silliness about the fuel pump issue being an "ongoing problem". Sometimes, dealing with silliness takes more than a cute one liner, and it is telling enough that none of the gloom and doom crowd can come up with anything in rebuttal other than "Well, ya never know..." Ya never know about a lot of things when it comes to bikes, and I don't think one of the nervous ones has even a fraction of the miles on their WRs that people like Big Dog and Skierd have piled up on long distance rides with their unreliable '08s and their fuel pumps.

Quote :
Anyway, I do want to continue the debate about failure rates of the fuel pumps....
You could start a thread specifically for those who HAVE had a fuel pump issue, asking for month and date of manufacture and number of miles on the bike. And another one asking people with '08s what the last numbers in their VIN are to get some kind of idea how many '08s are out there. I'll even sticky it for ya.

Quote :
but I will say I am interested in buying a brand new bike. I have not bought a new bike is six years, so its time.
Now that I understand. My WR was my first new bike in... I dunno, over 30 years anyways. '08, $4000 OTD. And I missed a local used '08 with all of one day and 130 miles on it for $800 cheaper and no shipping by hours. Much as I wanted a shiny new bike out of the crate, I would have been on that "used" bike like a fat kid on a pile of Smarties if I'd had the chance.

Allow me to scratch my head that you're apparently willing to spend an extra $1000+ to ensure your new bike is anything but an '08, to avoid possibly - unlikely, but possibly - buying a $200 fuel pump. At my most neurotic, I'd buy the new '08, save the $1000+, buy a new fuel pump, switch it out, and then flea market the unused '08 fuel pump with the caveat it was an unused pump from an x month 08. If it wasn't an 02/03 08' model, you'd probably end up spending only $50 for a brand new fuel pump after selling the original, unused one. Meaning you'd still have $950+ left for farkling by buying the '08. That's a lot of money to pay for gold forks or different decals on the bike, because that's about all that has changed.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 12:48 am

Had a look online as though I was buying a WR... interesting stuff.

Late in '08, early '09, you could find an '08 still on the floor for around $4000 to about $4500 OTD. Last year, there were still a few of those left around, but not so much. I wasn't shopping for yet another one, and I just kind of assumed that the last of the '08s had sold.

However, online sites like Cycletrader still show a fair number of '08s. Only now, you can't find one advertised for less than $5000 (not counting the "call for price" ads of course, which can sometimes be a real deal). Yeah, the asking price is where the bargaining starts to get to OTD, but I don't think a bike advertised at $5k is likely to get OTD at anything like $4000 - $4500. Meanwhile, there's some new '09s advertised for $5300, and a few '10s at $5700.

Dealers seem to think they don't need to deep discount the '08s anymore to sell them, even though they're now three years old.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 am

I bought mine last year about this time. It was an 09 leftover, brand new. While 2 other Yamaha dealers were selling their 09's for $6300, C+E Yamaha in Middleboro, MA had it for $5600. BIG difference! If you're anywhere close, give them a shot!
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 am

I bought my 08 this past January. $3,500 OTD. It wasn't new, having 1,800 miles on the clock, but it was in absolutely pristine stock condition. I saved almost half the price of going new.

My WR-X was manufactured in April of 08. I don't know if is among the batch with fuel pump concerns, but even if I have to replace it at some point, I saved so much money on the initial purchase of the bike that paying $200 for a fuel pump won't be an issue for me.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Looks like I might be driving to get a deal. I went to my my local dealer, and he did not wanna deal at all. had a 2010 on floor for $6399. His OTD price was $7451. I told him no way I was gonna pay that much. He went and did the " talk the owner" and came back with $7151 as his OTD..I got his card and wrote that on the back .

On the way home from there I called another dealer, and asked him for same bike and his OTD...he was at $7300 before tax....so that ended that call.

Seems to be the issue with these guys is the bikes sell like hotcakes here in NJ, so no need to wheel and deal when they have trouble keeping them in. Ugh.

PA, here I come. LOL
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:15 pm

There's a few X's on eBay. Used but good shape!
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 pm

I can't believe how much they are going for these days. I bought mine in Sept. of '08, literally the Saturday before the stock market took it's big downward plumit and really kicked this recession into gear and I paid less $5200 without even haggling, so that was when most people felt the economy was still fairly good. I just can't believe they have gone up that much in this crappy economy when the bike has hardly changed. I might have to stop at my dealer and see what they are charging now.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 am

Where's our resident Yamaha dealership employees?

There is something about, even if you buy a bike new in the crate - like I did - and get it shipped to you, Yamaha still wants it assembled by a Yamaha dealership, not you. And it doesn't cost you anything.

Or at least that was the way it worked for me. The local dealership would absolutely not come down on price, even when I showed them what I could get the same bike for new in crate in Ohio. So I bought in Ohio, it cost something like $400 to ship it to Montana in the crate, they dropped it off at Penco, and the same guys who wouldn't come down to sell me a bike uncrated my bike and put it together for me. Yeah, there must have been some kind of inter-dealership thing, but who cares, cost me nothing.

Best of all, I had a pile of farkles already waiting. So for a few piddly extra dollars, they installed the Yamalink, dropped the front end the specified amount I wanted, etc and so forth. And then I rode my new bike home...

And can't dealerships who don't have a bike buy from other dealers who do, transfers or something like that?

Anyways, depending on what the shipping will cost you, if you're determined to buy new, you might find what you're looking for far away. As long as it's not from California, if it is brand spanking new, who cares where it's located.

I'd do like the other guys did: buy one of those horrible 2008's. You can do a lot of farkling and riding for the price difference, even if you use some of it to buy a new fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 am

BuilderBob wrote:
My WR-X was manufactured in April of 08. I don't know if is among the batch with fuel pump concerns, but even if I have to replace it at some point, I saved so much money on the initial purchase of the bike that paying $200 for a fuel pump won't be an issue for me.
Mine is an April bike as well. I am not going to go look at the pump threads again, but it appeared that the effected bikes were mostly February and some March. Of course, April is close to that for the nervous ones. If I was worried about it I would try and talk Yamaha into a replacement pump. But with the odo reading over 10,000 now, they'd probably call BS... I'm pretty sure if it was going to roll over and die prematurely, it would have done it before now.
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 pm

DougZ wrote:
Seems to be the issue with these guys is the bikes sell like hotcakes here in NJ, so no need to wheel and deal when they have trouble keeping them in. Ugh.

Really? I didn't get that impression, Action Yamaha in Metuchen still has an '09 WRX on the floor, and they told me they do not stock the bikes in crates, only as floor models because they have a tough time selling them. I've never seen another one on the road here or at any of the riding spots I go to.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I had to travel an hour and a half to get mine. It was the closest dealership to me that even had an R in stock. I paid out the ass for it too. But hey, it was August 08 and I didn't want to wait for an 09.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:35 pm

I sold my DRZ 400 today, so now the hunt is really on. I do not wanna be without a dirtbike for more than a couple weekends.

I see there is an 08, out in Arkansas, for $4999. I wish I could get that one.

But alas, I am gonna see if I can haggle with my local dealer. I really want one for under $7K OTD. His last quote to me was $7151.

I had called around to some other dealers, but none really wanna talk price over the phone. I am not too keen on the idea of wasting a ton of gas going dealer to dealer.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 2:39 am

Well it could be worst... I just paid $8,600 for a 2011 WRR, but I`m Canadian. Although, the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US right now. But it`s not like that makes a difference haha.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 am

http://www.cernics.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=07888758X3K21K2011J10I19I04JAMQ3470R0&veh=58415&pov=1570118

4999 in PA.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: *   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Hertz wrote:
http://www.cernics.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=07888758X3K21K2011J10I19I04JAMQ3470R0&veh=58415&pov=1570118

4999 in PA.

*Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.
Back to top Go down
Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck

PostSubject: I wanted a new one, but thought the price was crazy high!   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:42 pm

I posted most of this in another thread, but just wanted to share here. I began my search last November after I registered for the SandBlast 200 in South Carolina. Plan was to do the rally on my R12 GS ADV, because I heard a guy tried it last year. After I registered, I found out the dude had an epic wipe out and got seriously hurt. I thought well hell, I've always wanted a skinny bike, and I like the idea of it being street legal.... So the search began.

Finally settled on the WR250R for probably all the reasons everyone else here did so. Nice little dual sport; reasonable price; 6 speed/4 stroke, great reputation, etc etc etc... wings And I had a great time at the Rally!

Buck at Sandblast 11-7

Then it came time to buy the bike. I wanted new, so I went to all the dealers in the Norfolk / Virginia Beach areas in southeast Virginia. Maybe because good dirt roads are soooo far away, these bikes were not in stock. All three of the dealers basically said the same thing... "We can get you one, in a few months." I said, "okay, let's talk price while I start collecting the farkles..." The lowest for a 2010 was to the tune of $6300. I asked is that OTD??? The come back was, well there's a little for prep, and of course taxes... I asked for the bottom line, and almost every time the price was close to or over $7k. baldy

Sooooo, I looked on this site; Craigslist; ADV Rider; and Cycle Trader. The only ones for sale where the '08s. Asking price between $3500 and $5500; depending on condition and farkles. Then in the middle of a blizzard, I talked to a dude in northern PA who had a sweet 08, with many farkles and 2,000 miles. We agreed on $4500. I drove up the next day and purchased the '08. Plus, when I registered the bike in Virginia, I paid the Blue Book Value for taxes (valued at $3,200). That saved me even more money! wings

Okay, here's the bottom line (if you're still reading). Because there's no warranty on the bike, I'm free to mess with it all I want. I've learned a ton about maintenance and the damn thing is bullet proof. I've put new tires on it and new Renthal handle bars (I had a crash at the Sandblast and bent the hell out of the original bars). I think I would be babying a new bike. I'm fearless on the 08.

Buck at Sandblast 11-3

I think the most important thing is to get the bike and just start riding!!! Every day you wait, is a day you're not having fun! thumb
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Akasy wrote:
Hertz wrote:

4999 in PA.

*Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.

Duh?
Back to top Go down
Rule292

Rule292

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 pm

DougZ wrote:
I sold my DRZ 400 today, so now the hunt is really on. I do not wanna be without a dirtbike for more than a couple weekends.

I see there is an 08, out in Arkansas, for $4999. I wish I could get that one.

But alas, I am gonna see if I can haggle with my local dealer. I really want one for under $7K OTD. His last quote to me was $7151.

I had called around to some other dealers, but none really wanna talk price over the phone. I am not too keen on the idea of wasting a ton of gas going dealer to dealer.

Hi Doug,

I went thru the same experience as you a month or so ago. I was blessed to find someone on this forum selling a 2010 for $4300 which I snapped up (and I love so far).

Here in eastern PA, they're not too interested in dealing via email or phone either. We do have one dealer with a leftover 2008 (MSRP 5899) for $5299. Not that I consider 600 bucks off of a 3 model year old vehicle that great, but it is new with a warranty.

And Blackman's has this 2008 (new but listed as "used") for $4999:

http://www.blackmanscycle.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=159838&Used=1&Model=2008%20Yamaha%20WR25RXL

Which is in your commuting range, just about 20 miles inside of PA.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: East Coast WRR Pricing???   East Coast WRR Pricing??? Empty

Back to top Go down

East Coast WRR Pricing???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next