Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help needed - bike wont start!!

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
dryskier
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dryskier

dryskier

Help needed - bike wont start!! Empty
PostSubject: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 4:34 am

The bike wont start - its as though the kill switch is on ( but it isnt).
The battery is full - everything working - lights,horn etc - but when I try to start the bike there is absolutely nothing happening at all.(all electrics stay on so it cant be the battery). No clicking etc - just silence.

Does anyone have any ideas - as I'm starting to panic a bit cos next week I'm supposed to be taking it to Portugal for its off-roading holiday:-)
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 5:50 am

Is this bike ridden on claggy winter roads (corrosion)?

Supply power to the starter motor and see if it starts.
Back to top Go down
dryskier

dryskier

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 5:52 am

YZEtc wrote:
Is this bike ridden on claggy winter roads (corrosion)?

Supply power to the starter motor and see if it starts.

Its garaged over winter - so no corrosion.

Its at the dealers at present cos its still under warranty - but they dont seem to be getting anywhere with it.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 6:16 am

Hopefully, the dealer not getting anywhere with it doesn't mean they have no time for it.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 7:09 am

I believe your friend posted over on TT. Brings to mind the side stand switch since he mentioned the bike was washed and put away.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 7:27 am

There can easily be enough juice to light up the dash, but not enough to start the bike.

The easiest way to check for "not dead battery, but not strong enough" is to use jumper cables and a car battery.

JUST DON'T START THE CAR - LEAVE THE CAR COMPLETELY OFF

Have you checked fuses?

Have you done anything to the bike since it last ran?
How long ago was it that it last ran?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dryskier

dryskier

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 7:30 am

motokid wrote:

Have you done anything to the bike since it last ran?
How long ago was it that it last ran?

Just washed it & put it away.

It was 2 weeks ago since I ran it.

I cant do anything to it at the moment as I've dropped it back to the dealers. I'm waiting to hear from them.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 7:41 am

Is it under warranty still?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dryskier

dryskier

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 7:51 am

motokid wrote:
Is it under warranty still?

Yes - thats why its back at the dealers.

They've now had it a few days & dont seem to be getting on with it. As I need it at the end of next week for the offroading trip to Portugal I thought I may as well see if anyone on the forum has any ideas. Then I'll take it back from the dealers & try & sort it myself. Time is running short.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 7:58 am

Sorry about your luck.

We've had more than one occasion here where people have SWORN that their battery was fine, only to find out their problem was indeed the battery.
Like I said, there can be just enough juice for some things, but not enough for others.

Please post whatever you find out. I always start with the most simple things.

AIr, fuel, and spark.

After that I'd head into checking fuses.

Side stand switch seems to be a popular suggestion and it certainly operates as a safety mechanism that prevents bike from running, while in gear, with the side stand down.
A possible short in that area or line might be an issue.

After that you'll have to wait for others here to offer suggestions.

Good luck.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 10:58 am

First place I'd look is behind the left shroud and check to see if that little red 10A fuse blew. That's been one of the most common reasons many riders have experienced. Do you remember if the fuel pump charged or not?

dryskier

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 11:04 am

Well - its sorted now.
The dealers have just rung me saying they have found the fault. Unfortunately it doesnt come under the warranty terms so they have charged me nearl $200.
They said someone had disconnected the kill switch & starter switch in an attempt to steal the bike. I know for a fact that is totally impossible - just for the fact of all the security where the bike is garaged. no-one could possibly have got close to it.

Anyway at least I have the bike back & will be off on holiday soon. thumb
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 11:16 am

Suspect Someone would have to go thru an awful lot of trouble to go that far...and know what to look for to pull that off to boot. I'd be sniffing out another dealer. budah

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 11:44 am

dryskier wrote:
Well - its sorted now.
The dealers have just rung me saying they have found the fault. Unfortunately it doesnt come under the warranty terms so they have charged me nearl $200.
They said someone had disconnected the kill switch & starter switch in an attempt to steal the bike. I know for a fact that is totally impossible - just for the fact of all the security where the bike is garaged. no-one could possibly have got close to it.

Anyway at least I have the bike back & will be off on holiday soon. thumb

You want my two cents?

It was something incredibly simple/stupid and that is their excuse to squeeze some more money out of you.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:24 pm

thumb That's why I said the thing about sniffing out another dealer.

PostSubject: Re: Help needed - bike wont start!!   Help needed - bike wont start!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Help needed - bike wont start!!
Page 1 of 1