Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems

Go down 
+7
GooseR6
BoredAzHell20
SoupSandwich
SheWolf
DougZ
motokid
DesertRatliff
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems Empty
PostSubject: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 am

Hi all,

I've posted this question in the fuel pump sticky thread, but wanted to post here as a guy on the SMJ forum is having an identical problem. He installed the FMF PP after 16K trouble-free miles on his '08WR/X and is now having this strange symptom come up, too.

Here's the scoop: Despite mild temps here, my problem surfaces occaisionally on my 25 mile commute. Engine dies at speed randomly on the commute, almost as though I'm running out of fuel (despite a full tank of gas the other night), and then comes back to life. The other night it took about 400 feet and a downshift to 5th at 70 mph to get it to come back on. Bike felt low on power before and after that, too. It has done this 3 times now, with last night being the longest/worst one.

Build 12/07 #0295, dealer leftover purchased new on 3/19/11 with 46 miles. Now has 1430 miles with AIS and flapper removed, Graves exhaust and FMF Programmer set to 3-5-.5-8-4-4. All of my connections are tight including the PP ground. Twin Air filter has been recently serviced and intake is free of debris.

My question is how do I isolate and diagnose this problem between a faulty fuel pump problem and/or the FMF PP? With the intake and exhaust mods, I'm hesitant to pull the programmer and just run it lean until the problem surfaces or doesn't (especially with the temps getting warmer around here). Is there a diag mode for the programmer or a way to "see" if it is operating properly? Will the WR throw a code if the fuel pump is going out? With it being an '08, it's tempting to call it a fuel pump issue and just change that, but the SMJ rider has got me thinking it may be the PP. Anything else you guys can think of?

Because of the mods and time of year, I'd like to figure this out myself without having to hassle with the dealer.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Nic
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 am

My AI programmer is kinda like your FmF.

Quote :
Red Mode - Mode 3 - Full Throttle Mode

Mode adjusts how much fuel is added when the Red zone is engaged. Most applications correspond this mode
to adjusting the full throttle fuel. Setting this mode to a light setting of 0.5 is normally developed to
set the vehicle back to its stock fuel curve.

First thing I might change in your case is that .5 setting.

Is it possible, being in Colorado at some altitude, and once heat really starts to come into play, that you're experiencing some fuel starvation/too lean conditions?

Bump that .5 up to something like 3 or 4 and see if that changes anything.

Just a wild-assed guess on my part.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:06 am

Its sounding like a fuel pump going bad issue. The only thing the programmer does is add time to the stock time that the injector is open for. You can think of an injector like a relay. Provide power, its open, take away power, it closes. Fuel pressure is always there**..injector opens, fuel goes through...injector closes, fuel stops.

** this statement is assuming working fuel pump.

I think the easiest way to diagnose, is to take the programmer out of the equation. I would put the stock air filter back on and go from there. It will be a hair leaner, but not enough to worry about for the small amount of time you will run it like that, with Graves Exhaust on there.

Disconnect FMF programmer, connect stock harness back to injector, button up and take for a ride..see if it does it again.

I doubt the programmer would have just up and gone bad, but it could happen. My money is with failing fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 am

+1 on the pump. The programmer can be set right back to .5 all the way across which is stock settings for the bike. It's like the programmer isn't oven in there. The fact that its cutting out leads me to believe it's the pump.

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump too. The programmer is pretty new, mounted and installed nicely. But I'm willing to try anything that doesn't cost money first to diagnose, so I'll remove the programmer (maybe bump up the fuel mixture in CO mode) and see if it happens again.

For posterity sake, I'll keep you all posted....
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:11 pm

lurk
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 am

7 Days and about 200 miles and the bike hasn't done it again. I've played with the PP settings (3,5,1,8,4.5,4.5) but haven't disconnected it yet. Just waiting for it to happen again.

I'll keep you posted...
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 am

Forgot to mention that after new gearing (12T), 12 O'clock speedo healer and Distanzia's, I got 51 MPG on the last tank of fuel. Not great....
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 pm

so what happened? did it fix itself?
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:49 am

Well...it hasn't happend again. I've only put about 200 miles on the bike since the problem started as I've been riding the KLR a lot lately. I did run a can of Sea Foam through the tank and anyone who's used that stuff knows it's the magical fuel system elixir. But that's all I've got to report for now...
Back to top Go down
GooseR6

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Any other issues with the bike?

I just got back from a 4 day dual sport ride and had a similar problem. When I would feather the clutch or was on full throttle the bike would stall (6 times a day or so). I had not had any other problems before this and added the programmer, removed the ais and flapper prior to the ride. Any assistance would be appreciated. I am going to try the all .5's and see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 am

No issues several hundred miles later. Not sure what's going on, but no issues (knock on wood)
Back to top Go down
00PowderSpecial

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:12 am

Im having the same problem, just installed my FMF programmer on the weekend and this was my first ride today 150 kms and the last 50 kms it cut out 5 times. Build number 69 in '08. I'm going to set all thevalues to .5's and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Carmmond

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:33 am

DesertRatliff wrote:
No issues several hundred miles later. Not sure what's going on, but no issues (knock on wood)

It seems you found your right settings.... I had problems that were close to yours so I called them up and told them what I had on my bike and they gave me settings to try. I have not had a problem sence.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4884-lose-power-while-cruising

Back to top Go down
00PowderSpecial

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I just called FMF and they gave me the number to Dobeck Performance, they build the box's for FMF. Great guys there, the number is (877)764-3337 for anyone in the same boat as me. I told him what was done to my bike, which is basically stock with the exhaust insert out, and flapper mod and he gave me these settings to try:

Green - 3
Yellow - 2
Red - Flashing Red
Green/Blue - 8
Yellow Blue - 6
Red Blue - 4
Back to top Go down
Goosed

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 9:37 pm

I was having the same problem and my x is set up the same so I used your numbers so far no stumble, wish I would have joined this site when I got the bike. thumb
Back to top Go down
abchel

abchel

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:43 am

Dobeck Performance change the programer to handle the 290cc kit and I am thinking the people who have a programer with the updated version is having this problem. Maybe maybe not, just think about it. horse
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems   Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Diagnosing FMF Power Programmer and/or Fuel Pump Problems
Page 1 of 1