Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions

Go down 
+21
1moreroad
MeefZah
Rule292
deerHater
twday
DesertRatliff
joenuclear
Jäger
GusinCA
mordicai
skierd
gatorfan
motokid
greer
wristpin
dtx
jason meacham
SheWolf
MrGreenjeans
ssauer2004
real
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Caan Saer

X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions   X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:20 am

take U.S.40 instead of I70 us 40 is a great sightseeing ride through many surviving and dying small towns, it is the first federally funded highway in the 1800's and paralells 70 and joins it in sections of boredom. ive done it not on wr but hd to st louis, was my first journey in over 20 yrs and had lots of fun. i hope to do a trip like yours on wr it would be an adventure of a lifetime but also think for me that bikes in bed of truck for highway and bikes for the fun areas might be what is in store for me on next x-country trip

U.S. 50 and some interstate might be nice also, never really done that route but looks decent on the map.

enjoy and tell us of trip.
Back to top Go down
Elessar

Elessar

PostSubject: Re: X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions   X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Let me get this straight: you don't have a MC license, you have 1,400 miles experience, you wrecked your bike, and you want to borrow someone else's bike. You've got to be kidding me, right?

I've had my share of wrecks and I take full responsibility when I've done something stupid like take my Vstrom through a creek and drop it in the water. But, to borrow someone else's bike...dude, you got big one's to ask for something like that,...whew!
Back to top Go down
bruno

bruno

PostSubject: Enjoy the ride !   X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 pm

I've done longer rides by pedal bicycle, so don't worry, just enjoy it.
Hints - first get your butt accustomed to riding 100 miles, then stopping for gas and a walk, then do it again, let the weather dictate the number of times, three or four repeats should be possible on most days.
- a back pack with a load carrying waist belt should carry all your needs. Think ultra light, e.g. cut the extra inches off your toothbrush ! , etc.
- carry a QT or two of spare fuel in back-packers fuel bottles, just for piece of mind.
- Don't ride to deadlines, the worry will kill you. If you can't spare the time to enjoy the ride, why do it?
- the freeway is incredibly boring, you will probably not enjoy it.
- It's an adventure, make it an enjoyable one.
Back to top Go down
real

PostSubject: Update   X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 6:42 pm

Hey folks, hows it going?

I quit my old job and the bike is still in the shop, so I don't plan on making this trip anytime soon. I definitely agree that I need more experience for a trip like I was planning, and maybe it was a bit unreasonable to ask for a scooter for the motorcycle test. I've got a new job lined up and I'm hoping to get my bike back on the road before my new test date. I consider myself competent enough to ride, but my stamina as a rider and my specific bike and route may not be a wise choice for a cross country trip. The more I miss my bike, the more I want to ride a dirt bike. I got a 13t sprocket tattoo the other day as a tribute to motorcycle riding. When I do get my bike back, I'm going to take it easy and rebuild my skills and acquire the proper gear and such. Thanks for all the riding tips and route advice. I'll update again when I get my bike back. We can keep this thread open for long distance trip discussion, I think that would be a good idea. I'll have to get a picture or two of my rebuild as well. The bike was purchased at Fredericktowne Yamaha and triumph, but I've heard about the Ellicot City location.

thumb
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions   X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Very cool, I bought my 08 from Fredericktown! Great dealership and if your bike is there getting worked on its in good hands.

thumb

I think I still have some spare parts if you know whats needed.
Back to top Go down
real

PostSubject: It's been a while.   X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:13 am

Good news!

I've had the bike out of the shop for a while now and I've done a good deal of riding and learning since. I never attempted the cross-country trip- looking back on it I find it hilarious that I wanted to do that as a new owner poser2 . I was overly inspired and far too naive about that kind of trip. I am satisfied with using it around my area, for commuting, and the occasional long distance trip. I might get some track lessons eventually as well. This thread brought up some good discussions about that kind of trip for new riders. I'm back in action and eager to learn more.

X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 Dscn0311
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions   X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

X crossing the US; pre-trip discussion and suggestions
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3