Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

very easy to steal

Go down 
+6
mash100
KC0514
Arkmage
combo
GusinCA
smudger096
10 posters
AuthorMessage
smudger096

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi,
I recently lost my only ignition key, and after days searching and not riding, decided to see how difficult it would be to hotwire. Unbelievabley easy!!.
simply cut the wires as they exit the ignition barrell , ignore the red and join the brown and orange (larger wires). everything comes to life, but no spark, join the two smaller wires and bingo. In my opinion this is far too easy for such a modern bike. So all owners , invest in a big lock.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:42 am

Wow, really?

I'll have to remember that if I ever have to hotwire my own bike...
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 am

That said I DO have a GIANT Kryptonite chain (the biggest they make) wrapped around the frame and a huge water pipe to lock it up.
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:21 am

May be why these bikes have a great steering lock
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 7:25 pm

combo wrote:
May be why these bikes have a great steering lock

They have a steering lock? dunno I learn something new everyday on this forum...
Back to top Go down
KC0514

KC0514

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 7:46 pm

So basically the thief can steal your bike but only do left handed donuts with it.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 5:08 am

My x lives outside under a cover cry I do not have a garage cry maintenance is done outside in daylight, & can be quite tricky between rain showers cry
She's locked to steel railings with a nice big chain & Yale molebnenum hardened lock. I have left the ignition key in by mistake more times than I care to mention.....
Back to top Go down
smudger096

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 am

steering lock was removed with ease, by lifting top yoke and ground of with small grinder, steel was like butter. worse thing is I have now found the key lol.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

GusinCA wrote:
That said I DO have a GIANT Kryptonite chain (the biggest they make) wrapped around the frame and a huge water pipe to lock it up.
I have a 10mm theft deterrence system. More importantly, so do all my neighbors... and they know who belongs on my bike and who doesn't.

Don't see a lot of police reports about stolen motorcycle here in Montana, and in the summer this is bike central as everyone converges on Going To The Sun, the Beartooth, Darby/Lolo, rolls through on their way to Sturgis, etc. Much of that stages at some point or other right out of this location. Bikes parked overnight everywhere... still there in the morning. I have a suspicion why that might be.

On the other hand, if I fear a thief I fear the ones who pull up in a truck with a set of giant boltcutters and a bunch of strong assholes to pick a bike up and throw it in the back in about ten seconds. If they aren't seen and met with the 10mm persuasion to not do bad things like that, the bike is done.

I'm not too worried about them fiddling around cutting ignition wiring, hotwiring, getting their grinders out to remove the steering lock, etc.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:42 pm

The worst thing is when a group of kids comes by and the next morning your bike's steering lock is halfway broken, your seat has been ripped out, it's been tipped over and some wires are cut.

Happened to me once. budah
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Jäger wrote:
GusinCA wrote:
I have a 10mm theft deterrence system. More importantly, so do all my neighbors... and they know who belongs on my bike and who doesn't.

Don't see a lot of police reports about stolen motorcycle here in Montana, and in the summer this is bike central as everyone converges on Going To The Sun, the Beartooth, Darby/Lolo, rolls through on their way to Sturgis, etc. Much of that stages at some point or other right out of this location. Bikes parked overnight everywhere... still there in the morning. I have a suspicion why that might be.

On the other hand, if I fear a thief I fear the ones who pull up in a truck with a set of giant boltcutters and a bunch of strong assholes to pick a bike up and throw it in the back in about ten seconds. If they aren't seen and met with the 10mm persuasion to not do bad things like that, the bike is done.

I'm not too worried about them fiddling around cutting ignition wiring, hotwiring, getting their grinders out to remove the steering lock, etc.

I like your theft deterrent system. Is it made by Glock or Colt?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 pm

sswrx wrote:
Which one?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:52 pm

WRXR wrote:
The worst thing is when a group of kids comes by and the next morning your bike's steering lock is halfway broken, your seat has been ripped out, it's been tipped over and some wires are cut.
Yeah, never happened to me, but for some reason I could almost see that feeling worse...
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:03 am

Jäger wrote:
sswrx wrote:
Which one?

You have a Glock 20 and a Delta Elite? Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 1:20 am

sswrx wrote:
Jäger wrote:
sswrx wrote:
Which one?

You have a Glock 20 and a Delta Elite? Awesome!
Neither. No Glocks or Colts in this house. Not anymore, anyways.
Back to top Go down
foofighter

foofighter

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 4:34 am

I actually had my bike stolen by some crack heads in a pickup truck a few months ago. They just drove up at night, lifted the bike into the back of their truck and drove away. However they couldn't find the kick start so the police ended up finding the bike laying down in a back alley of my local ghetto.

So once I got the bike back I wanted to make sure it wouldn't get stolen again. This is what lead me to purchasing a alarm system for the bike. The one I got was the Scorpio SR-i800s, I paid $160 for it but right now it is on sale for $130! It's all self contained all in one little unit that does everything and only needs to be wired into your battery and spliced into your signal lights if you want them to function with the alarm...

Has an accelerometer that detects if the bike tips from side to side, or if something strikes the bike. Also you can add enhanced security features such as ignition disable or parameter sensors... I choose to add the optional proxy sensor which was $35 and is 100% plug and play with the system. Literally just needs to be plugged into the main module of the alarm to function...

The alarm is absurdly loud and there is no way the bike is getting stolen once it goes off! I really recommend this to anyone with this bike as it is so light and easy to steal... Mounts easily with heavy duty velcro under the left side panel beside the radiator.

Here is a picture of the module and proxy sensor mounded under my side panel...
very easy to steal Module

Here is the signal light wires I had to splice into, as you can see it's very easily done with the provided quick connectors.
very easy to steal Splice

Here is the link to the site you can buy the alarm:
Link
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

very easy to steal Empty
PostSubject: Re: very easy to steal   very easy to steal Empty

Back to top Go down

very easy to steal
Page 1 of 1