Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield

Go down 
+6
galland1
mrgeoff
rydnseek
treybrad
greer
oic0
10 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 pm

I know this windshield was mentioned in the windshields thread a while back. I heard mixed reviews from all over. It looked like it should give good coverage though and the price is good. I tried the harbor freight windshield, I thought it was helping until I took it off and couldn't really tell I had.

My quick review. Fits and goes on easy. 15 minute install. Deafening wind blast to the head beyond 40mph. Know how the microphones on the weather channel sound when they are say "We are now inside the tornado!", yep, like that. No way on earth I could ride it more than a mile without hearing protection. even with my fairly quiet full face enclosed helmet. Looks ok though lol. $55 pissed away :(
Before I give up im going to try lowering it a bit to see if I can maybe get the blast hit somewhere less noisy.

Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield 25a0qpw
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:29 am

It looks good, and I'll bet with some fiddling you can make it work. Maybe it's just a bit too tall/high.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
treybrad

treybrad

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 am

Where you located? Want to sell it?

trey
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 am

+1 on adjusting it. You might have it too tall. You want the air flow to hit the top of your helmet, & slope the shield a bit so it's not just buffeting, but flowing up & over you. You can adjust these in multiple ways, & when its right, you sit in quiet solitude.. with birds landing on your shoulder, & crickets sitting on your handlebar singing to you. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 12:41 pm

I can't seem to get it to go up over my head. It was hitting me square in the face at full height. I lowered it a good bit and now its hitting me in the neck / chest. Quieter but still much much louder than without. I'll try angling it back some more. I have it angled so far forward because it felt like I could hit my face on it if not careful.

*edit* angled it to match the rake of the forks, a lot less buffeting. Is this safe in an accident though? Feels like it would decapitate me or go through my face shield.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 3:20 pm

With my screen, the wind hits around my nipples, does a really good job, much quieter on the bike, and the wind does not "lift" my dual sport helmet.

Trim it down a little thumb
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 am

Think I've gotten it close to right. If I sit completely bolt upright, its nice and quiet in my helmet. Let my head droop a bit and WOOSH. Lil bit lower and itl be perfect. Also my helmet is fogging up a whole lot more so it must be diverting a good bit of wind.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 1:08 pm

I have one of these. It is best adjusted so it will chop off your head, but still not great. I'm going to cut it WAY down and give it one more try.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

Worth noting, I just got the highest mileage tank I have gotten since I was putt putting around during break in. 70mpg. I usually average 65mpg since I like to wind it out every now and then. All thats changed is the windshield and temperature. The temps have dropped about 10 degrees. Dunno which caused it but lets see if the next tank is a repeat performance Very happy
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:04 am

oic0 wrote:
Worth noting, I just got the highest mileage tank I have gotten since I was putt putting around during break in. 70mpg. I usually average 65mpg since I like to wind it out every now and then. All thats changed is the windshield and temperature. The temps have dropped about 10 degrees. Dunno which caused it but lets see if the next tank is a repeat performance Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield 93746

Thanks for that additional economy information. I've been thinking of doing something like the Slipstream purely for mileage purposes.

I just finished test riding two Hondas for the the magazine (one of the two reviews will be in next month's issue) and I think I learned a lot from the experience. The first bike was the hippo-VT1300 Interstate which has a huge, rigid, non-adjustable windshield and provides enough turbulence at speeds above 55mph to cause whiplash. The Interstate should never be ridden on the Interstate. The 2nd bike was Honda's CBR250R, which has a minimal, flimsy windshield and a nice fairing. The CBR puts the turbulence pretty close to my upper chest and was quiet, smooth, and (with my Aerostich) gave plenty of weather protection. I'd suspect that the Slipstream is about 5" too tall, based on the CBR experience. Oddly, I think the flexibility of the CBR's windscreen also contributes to the low noise output. That creates a more random noise generating edge, which results in a more random turbulence/noise at the rider's position.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:26 am

rydnseek wrote:
+1 on adjusting it. You might have it too tall. You want the air flow to hit the top of your helmet, & slope the shield a bit so it's not just buffeting, but flowing up & over you. You can adjust these in multiple ways, & when its right, you sit in quiet solitude.. with birds landing on your shoulder, & crickets sitting on your handlebar singing to you. Rolling Eyes

Yikes! Sounds like a Disney haunting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Two and a half Questions...

1. Who sells the "Slipstream" (i think it's called) windscreen?
  2. How does it mount to the Bike? Pictures anyone?
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 pm

i just got back saturday from a 2k mile trip throughout utah & n. az. I got a lot of rain, snow, & lots of dirt.. single track & easy graded roads. My spitfire was very nice, especially in the rain & cold pavement rides. Here's some shots.. i'll try to get a closeup of the mounting detail. Mine is above a number plate bag. It is forward, but the airflow just barely hits my helmet top.

Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 11:42 am

rydnseek wrote:
i just got back saturday from a 2k mile trip throughout utah & n. az. I got a lot of rain, snow, & lots of dirt.. single track & easy graded roads. My spitfire was very nice, especially in the rain & cold pavement rides.

Nice thumb What size handlebar clamps did you need for the fat bars? 1"?
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 pm

I don't have fat bars on my wrx. They are alloy, but i went with some 7/8s bars i had to go with the rox risers. The windscreen fastens to either size fine.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 10:08 pm

rydnseek wrote:
I don't have fat bars on my wrx. They are alloy, but i went with some 7/8s bars i had to go with the rox risers. The windscreen fastens to either size fine.

thumb Thanks - hard to tell from the pic (no crossbar). The screen comes with both size bar mounts?
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Just bought Turbo City brackets for adding theirs or anyone elses windshield. $60. So I had an old GivI shield from my Wee, and mounted it. Wow. It works great. Makes the bike much easier to ride, especially in a west Texas wind. I now feel I can ride the bike with no problems to my favorite riding place 250 miles away without arriving totally beat up from fighting the wind. If anyone wants pictures, I'll post.
Back to top Go down
mix123

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Post Pictures
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 9:30 pm

This may take awhile to post pictures. My computer has Windows 8 and IE 10. There seems to be major compatibility issues that are unresolved with IE10. I can't even get pictures to post to my Flickr acct. It constantly crashes on everyday places like Youtube. I'm about ready to try a different browser. I'll post pictures when I get these problems resolved. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 1:15 am

Here's the link to the pictures of the bracket and the windshield on my WRR.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19496001@N07/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield   Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield Empty

Back to top Go down

Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield
Page 1 of 1