Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Quiet down a powercore

Go down 
+5
YZEtc
andysrage
mucker
Jeffro799
sewerat
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sewerat

Quiet down a powercore Empty
PostSubject: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Has anyone redid the quiet baffle in a powercore can? My bike came with the powercore and the stock take off. But in reality it is too loud for me. I would like to just try the new baffle or possibly a trade for a q4
Back to top Go down
Jeffro799

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 am

The Powercore and Q4 are essentially the same exact exhaust (other than cosmetics) with the exception of 1 thing: FMF Part # 040288

I was wondering the same thing because I have a Powercore so I contacted FMF directly and they told me that if I wish to convert my Powercore to a Q4 all I have to do is purchase part# 040288 (the quite core insert) and install it into my powercore.

You can buy one on eBay for 30$ and installation is a piece of cake. Combined with fresh packing, it will quiet down the bike significantly.
Back to top Go down
Jeffro799

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 am

Just did a quick search for one...here is a link..check it out, this will convert your Powercore to a Q4:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMF-POWERCORE-4-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-1-3-8-S-A-QUIET-INSERT-040288-/380399056752?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item58918cf770
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks...good to know.
Back to top Go down
andysrage

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:16 am

Jeffro799 wrote:
The Powercore and Q4 are essentially the same exact exhaust (other than cosmetics) with the exception of 1 thing: FMF Part # 040288

I was wondering the same thing because I have a Powercore so I contacted FMF directly and they told me that if I wish to convert my Powercore to a Q4 all I have to do is purchase part# 040288 (the quite core insert) and install it into my powercore.

You can buy one on eBay for 30$ and installation is a piece of cake. Combined with fresh packing, it will quiet down the bike significantly.

Actually, there is one other internal difference between the PC4 and Q4 that few people realize. The Q4 has a perforater "wall" 1/3 way down the baffle tube from the endcap. Even with the spark arrestor removed, you couldn't run a rod straight thru a Q4 (unless it is small enough to fit thru the holes). It is this plus the quiet insert (p/n 040288) that make up the differences.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:22 am

andysrage wrote:
Jeffro799 wrote:

Actually, there is one other internal difference between the PC4 and Q4 that few people realize. The Q4 has a perforater "wall" 1/3 way down the baffle tube from the endcap. Even with the spark arrestor removed, you couldn't run a rod straight thru a Q4 (unless it is small enough to fit thru the holes). It is this plus the quiet insert (p/n 040288) that make up the differences.

I agree with that.
Isn't the WR-250R/X Q4 muffler longer than the WR-250R/X Powercore 4 muffler?
Back to top Go down
sewerat

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 2:21 am

Ok so tonight I took some time to work on the R2. Started with taking a db reading with pipe as it is. At idle it was about 93db and at a high rev about 97db. Now when I opened it up this is what the packing looked like.

Quiet down a powercore 8d1cc135

And this was the baffle once removed.

Quiet down a powercore C8645d76

Now this is the old and new packing.

Quiet down a powercore Acc489ff

And this is the old and new baffle. Note the longer tube on the quiet baffle.

Quiet down a powercore Ef07413c

And this is the end showing the spark arrestor.

Quiet down a powercore Da24417a

Now that it is all buttoned back up I retested the db and found about a 3db drop in both idle and high rev. Now this was doing my best to keep both tests as close to the same as each other but not sure how accurate the iPhone db meter really is?
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am

">Now this is the old and new packing. "

Did you get the 'regular' packing... or the 'enhanced' version ?

Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:07 pm

?
sewerat wrote:

Now that it is all buttoned back up I retested the db and found about a 3db drop in both idle and high rev. Now this was doing my best to keep both tests as close to the same as each other but not sure how accurate the iPhone db meter really is?

I can't answer your question, but am curious from what position you measured the sound? A few feet away? Behind the exhaust or in front???
Back to top Go down
sewerat

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:22 pm

I think it was just standard packing, no mention of enhanced on it anyplace. It just said 4 stroke packing on it.

I tested in my shop, closed up about 10' behind the bike with the phone up on another bikes saddle bags so about mid point of the R2.
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 pm

What is the iPhone app name that you used??? Which model of iPhone? I'll try and run a test on my stock pipe tonight with my wife's iPhone 4 for a relative comparison.
Back to top Go down
sewerat

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Mine is a 4. Just search app store for decibel. You will find a few free ones I just found another one I might try as it has a peak level memory displayed as opposed to just a bouncing needle guess like the one I have. I think the one I am currently downloading is called decibel ultra
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I didnt have much luck with the decibel meter app I downloaded for my android phone. It was ok for comparing before and after but the actual numbers were useless. I measured about a 3 or 4 db difference in mine just between taking the spark arrestor out vs in. I measured another 3 db reduction when sticking a roll of rolled up wire mesh kinked in the middle with a wire tie. The heat destroyed that in no time though to the point that a couple tiny pieces were all that was left within a month lol.
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Yeah, I was hoping for a relative comparison. I know the numbers won't be accurate. But, at least I have an Iphone 4, as does sewerat, so it should be a decent comparison. The only problem is the environment won't be identical....
Back to top Go down
motocrossmann

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Just ran the test on my stock bike, in a breezeway. Sorry I didn't have time to move it to the garage right now. I have rugrat duties tonight.

I used decibel ultra, on my wife's iPhone 4, about 10' directly behind the bike. I got about 85db at idle and peaked at 92db while blipping the throttle.

Take it for what it's worth, there are lots of variables in here...
Back to top Go down
sewerat

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Well that gives me an idea of what stock is anyways. Variables or not. We all should agree that even a q4 is louder then stock so likely we are close enough. I have a plan to try and get it a bit quieter yet but we'll see how that pans out.
Back to top Go down
gedupsound

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:33 pm

andysrage wrote:
Jeffro799 wrote:

Do you or anyone else have pics of this screen? I would like to see if it could be replicated in some way.

I was googling photos of q4 pipes and saw this photo on a kawi board: http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/re-pack-fmf-q4-33546/

Quiet down a powercore IMG_7240

Quiet down a powercore IMG_7239
Back to top Go down
gedupsound

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Jeffro799 wrote:

This is good info to know. I just got off the phone with FMF technical support, and asked them a similar set of questions. I started looking at the different spark arrestor tips listed for an FMF PowerCore4, and noticed a few listed options. FMF listed a few, PowerCore4 TITANIUM quiet core insert (040288) as mentioned above, and another one called PowerCore4 quiet core insert (040630), both of which work with the PowerCore4. The tech went on to explain further differences between the two tips:

(040630) PowerCore4 Quiet Core Insert - 1 1/8" diameter (More restrictive than 040288, potentially noticeable power decrease, but the quietest option offered by FMF)
(040288) PowerCore4 Titanium Quiet Core Insert - 1 3/8" diameter

Hope this offers some insight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quiet down a powercore   Quiet down a powercore Empty

Back to top Go down

Quiet down a powercore
Page 1 of 1