Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My bike rack for my bike.

Go down 
+4
Arkmage
Just Bob
Heoz
Corycy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Corycy

My bike rack for my bike. Empty
PostSubject: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Well finally got a a new to me wrr a few weeks ago. It already had all the regular mods done and then some, but it was missing something....

My bike rack for my bike. Imag0010

This is just a practice run bolting it all up. I move the fork mount farther toward the seat using the fork mount laying on the moto seat.
I now have a longer strap that runs to the sub frame as well. It holds all the weight of the mtb using the fork mount as pivot point. The red tray is just used to keep the mtb inline.

I can put dry bags between the straps and fork, plus I just scored some Ortlieb dry bag saddlebags off ebay so that will give me plenty of space to carry all my gear.

I race mountain bikes all over the u.s so I thought this would be a better way to travel for me.

It rides like nothing is there. If people didn't stare I would not even know it's there.

Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 6:36 pm

3 up on a WRR anyone? Images of the beverly hillbillies vehicle popped into my mind.

If you mount that a little different - it could be one slick wheelie bar!
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 pm

On a more serious note:
Tie a red piece of cloth around the back tire of the bicycle - required in some states if anything extends beyond the end of the vehicle. Might even want to put lights back there.

Also, what mirror is on your bike and how/where is it mounted - can't really tell in that picture.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 pm

I've thought about that. I think the law is 3 ft pass you have to flag it, but I'm not sure, it's close. I passed some popo a few times and no lights. May carry something from now on.
The mirror is the stock one mounted up side down. It sucked don't do it. It hit my let all the time.
Haha I laughed at the hillbilly car comment.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm

A few years back I was short a piece of trim. So, off 15 miles to Nobody Is Home Depot on my Speed Triple. Biggest fear was if I got rear ended that board would get shoved right up my tender regions.

My bike rack for my bike. Img2195nt8
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Wow. Did you just tie that down?
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Corycy wrote:
Wow. Did you just tie that down?

Couple of bungees. No problem.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 pm

That's a lot of lever arm bouncing around and pulling on the strap. The strap is essentially only supported by 4xM10 screws run through the rack like that.

If you tie the strap back to the subframe rails or passenger pegs and move the fork mount closer to the 4 rack bolts I think this is a pretty adequate setup.

You could also mount a spreader bar about 18" wide under the fork mount and put a strap from there to the bottom bracket on each side to eliminate the rail.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah arkmage that's pretty much what I ended up doing. Moving the fork mount closer to the moto seat and sending a longer/thicker strap under the subframe.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Corycy wrote:
Yeah arkmage that's pretty much what I ended up doing. Moving the fork mount closer to the moto seat and sending a longer/thicker strap under the subframe.

I dig it... let me know how it works out. It pains me to have to take the van every time I meet a friend to ride.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 pm

300 miles with the bike on the back as of now. It dips down a little on longer dips that are in the road. Smaller bumps like railroad tracks, it doesn't move at all. I have two cross country trips planned for this summer and fall and I'm taking the mtn with me. We will see for sure if it work after that...

Someone is making after-market racks out of Ashville. Though I think they are in the $200+ range. Might be worth a look.
Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:55 am

soo, uhh...

where's your front wheel?
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:36 am

Vortac wrote:
soo, uhh...

where's your front wheel?

It's somewhere, just not in the pic. I strap it down to the mtn frame and it stays put. I have about 1000 miles of 50/50 road and gravel road on this setup now and no problems. I have a race this weekend in ocala, fl so that will be another 1000. I'm happy with it.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Go Cory, go!!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
iiideuces

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

My bike rack for my bike. Wdjm3
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:03 pm

ever have anybody sit on the bicycle while you're riding? poser2
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:50 pm

iiideuces wrote:
My bike rack for my bike. Wdjm3

In the flesh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My bike rack for my bike.   My bike rack for my bike. Empty

Back to top Go down

My bike rack for my bike.
Page 1 of 1