Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stumble with baseline FMF settings

Go down 
+2
ballisticexchris
sabat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sabat

sabat

Stumble with baseline FMF settings Empty
PostSubject: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Hello folks, I have a WRX with FMF powercore 4 silencer, AIS removed, airbox door forced open.

Installed a FMF controller, left it with original settings. Went for 100 mile ride with friends, and noticed a consistent stumble when slowly reducing throttle from around half to 1/4 or so. It feels like it totally cuts fuel for a split sec, then comes back. It happened maybe 5 times over 90 minutes.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing setting 4, but maybe this is a common problem, and you folks can save me some trial and error.

Thanks,
Dean
Back to top Go down
ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Go to this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/576345-fmf-programmer-install-and-tuning-tips/

You can find out and try quite a few different settings. I'm sure you will find one that works for you. My understanding is not to be afraid to experiment with the FMF unit.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 6:00 pm

sabat wrote:
Hello folks, I have a WRX with FMF powercore 4 silencer, AIS removed, airbox door forced open.

Installed a FMF controller, left it with original settings. Went for 100 mile ride with friends, and noticed a consistent stumble when slowly reducing throttle from around half to 1/4 or so. It feels like it totally cuts fuel for a split sec, then comes back. It happened maybe 5 times over 90 minutes.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing setting 4, but maybe this is a common problem, and you folks can save me some trial and error.

Thanks,
Dean

Have you read through this thread here? <-- clicky

Start at the most recent posts and read backwards.

What are the "original settings"?

How far off are you from these: 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 4.5

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 am

motokid wrote:
sabat wrote:

Thanks,
Dean

Have you read through this thread here? <-- clicky

Start at the most recent posts and read backwards.

What are the "original settings"?

How far off are you from these: 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 4.5

Holy crap!! I thought I found the ultimate programmer thread. This one has way more options than the one over at TT. It's a trip how everyone has their own special settings. For the exact same modifications there are dozens of different settings being used.
Back to top Go down
sabat

sabat

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 pm

I have read the large tuner thread, but nothing specific to my situation was there. I can always play myself, but wondered if this was an issue someone had dealt with already.

The original settings are those that come pre-programmed by FMF.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:42 pm

sabat wrote:

The original settings are those that come pre-programmed by FMF.

Which would be what?

Have you any idea what setting you are currently running?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 pm

I pulled these from the last page of that "mega-thread":

BPG wrote:
First off, thanks to all the "regulars" (irregulars?!?) Very happy who've set precedent in dialing in the FMF Power Programmer! thumb

Just a quick question, my bike has the following mods:
FMF Power Programmer
Q4 pipe
stock header
ultimate airbox mod
EXUP delete
AIS delete

I used the normal FMF setting of 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 4 - 4.5, works GREAT all around!

I was just wondering if people have played around with the (first 2) #'s to get better fuel mileage? How low can you go without running lean?

I have a few upcoming trips over 200 miles one-way, would be nice to tune it down a bit for the boring slab portions, and then go back to the FMF settings in the dirt.

Thanks!

BPG wrote:
to answer my own question wink , I called Dobeck Industries & spoke to Dallas, he said that dropping the first # (amount of fuel added at cruise) one whole number will suffice for better mileage (so, first # changed from 3 to a 2 in my case). Any lower, and you risk running lean, especially with the free-flowing airbox mod and Q4 pipe.

Also, noticed today that while cruising in 6th at say 50-60 mph, the bike had a slight stumble a time or two, as in no power until I chopped off the throttle (rode all day yesterday and that never happened). He recommended changing the 5th # up a bit (from a 4 to a 6 in my case). He said they may even tell FMF to have that as the standard setting in the instructions, since they are receiving several comments on this issue:

3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 4.5

Now how different do you think your set up is than BPG's?

You have a power-core and he has a Q4.

Pretty darn close i'd say. Cles enough for horseshoes and grenades.

So what numbers are you running that are wildly, or mildly different than BPG's?

That's the question I was asking.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:01 pm

To clear things out.....

I had the same stumbling problem with my bike after installing the FMF programmer.

I wrote a mail to Dobeck Performance which has developed the FMF programmer.

This is the answer I got.

"I would suggest to raise up the Yellow/ Blue Mode (Mode 5). If this mode comes in at cruise it may cause the bike to cut out. I heard about this problem before and told others to raise this to around 4 to 6. No one has ever got back to me so I assume it works. If you have any other questions or that doesn’t resolve your issue please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris Shover

Dobeck Performance"

Problem solved.... thumb
Back to top Go down
sabat

sabat

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Great, this sounds exactly like the issue I'm having. I appreciate the research, I missed this post in the mega-thread.

These are my current (FMF baseline) settings: 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 4 - 4.5

I will go to : 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 4.5 , and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:37 pm

sabat wrote:
Great, this sounds exactly like the issue I'm having. I appreciate the research, I missed this post in the mega-thread.

These are my current (FMF baseline) settings: 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 4 - 4.5

I will go to : 3 - 4 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 4.5 , and see what happens.

Im not sure if that note was in that thread but now U now what to do anaway.

My guess(pretty sure) is that the problem will go away. cheers

Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Highjack   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 2:58 am

Does the programmer tell the bike how much fuel to use, or at what delay to apply fuel. Or is it both.
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:44 am

IAmABug wrote:
Does the programmer tell the bike how much fuel to use, or at what delay to apply fuel. Or is it both.

Both.
The box "highjacks" the original box signals so you can add fuel only. But you can also adjust the FMF programmers time to react (throttle response).

Roughly explained....
Back to top Go down
gedupsound

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:15 am

Today, I just set up my WRx with the settings: 3-4-1-5-6-4.5

Mods: FMF Powercore4, K&N filter, AIS/EXUP/airbox flapper/airbox door deletes.

Changing setting #5 to 6 made low-speed and casual riding MUCH smoother, partial and off-throttle situations are much smoother, and the transition to accelerating throttle at low RPMs doesnt have that very very noticeable dead spot, it just smoothly ramps power. Very pleased.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stumble with baseline FMF settings   Stumble with baseline FMF settings Empty

Back to top Go down

Stumble with baseline FMF settings
Page 1 of 1