Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Trail Tech Vapor

Go down 
+2
freetors
IAmABug
6 posters
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 am

So i have bought the Vapor. I have the temp sensor, tach, speedo, and power wires all hooked up. Nice unit. However, the tack is reading 15000+RPM at idle. Anyone have this computer/problem with it?? I have been in contact with trail tech as well, but so far no luck there. I have everything hooked up as it is supposed to be, but it just is not working.
Back to top Go down
freetors

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 am

I remember lots of people with sv650's with problems with the tach too. I think they fixed it by using resistors or something. I would do some searching on svrider.com
Back to top Go down
binkaz

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:23 am

did you remove the stock speedo?
Back to top Go down
gravesgrg

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 am

IAmABug wrote:
So i have bought the Vapor.  I have the temp sensor, tach, speedo, and power wires all hooked up.  Nice unit.  However, the tack is reading 15000+RPM at idle.  Anyone have this computer/problem with it?? I have been in contact with trail tech as well, but so far no luck there.  I have everything hooked up as it is supposed to be, but it just is not working.

Well...I don't have the resistor tach wire so my RPM is erratic when I wire directly to the battery. Works OK when I don't connect external power. Just curious, how many wraps around the orange wire (at the spade for metal to metal contact) did you do?

Also, what method did you choose to mount the magnetic pick up for the speedometer? I can't seem to find the right tool to remove the front disc screws. Torex nor Allen. They all want to strip before turning.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 10:22 am

My Tach is also running high, 15000. I tried a shielded wire to replace my orange wire and its still getting stray RF from the bike. I have the wire wrapped around the coil about five times below the rubber seal. The next thing I want to try is wrapping the wire around the coil above the seal. I'm trying that today so I'll let you know how it works out.

I have my speedo sensor on my rear wheel, I didn't want that big cable running down the front fork. It does fit nice on the rear caliber.

Trail Tech Vapor IMG_0868_zpsa729dcda

Trail Tech Vapor IMG_0898_zps4e8fde83
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 4:19 pm

My Tach is now running correct. I had to run the power and ground right to the battery
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 5:27 pm

TwoBuells wrote:
My Tach is now running correct. I had to run the power and ground right to the battery

Went for a ride and the tach still jumps all over. puke
Its getting interference from the bikes electronics.
I have the tach wire wrapped around the coil five times. I'm using a shielded wire, I connect the power leads right to the battery.

Stay tuned, I contacted Trail Tech and I have a few more things to try.

Back to top Go down
Drannen

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 am

So I may have a solution for you, I have a Vapor as well and had the same rpm problem.

I ran the wire pickup for tach direct to the spark plug coil wire. (Before the coil)

This does involve removing the spark coil and the contacts, strip the vapor wire, and get it all back into the coil plug housing.

Once that is done, I have the ground going to the battery as well, and then you have to change the PPM setting on the Vapor from 0.5 (I think) to 2 (I think).

The PPM settings are only 0.5, 1, and 2, so play around to see what the correct setting is.

My Rpm's only glitch is at ~7500 rpm it will jump to the off the scale for half a second, then resume perfect readings at ~7700RPM+

Hope that helps a bit.
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Drannen wrote:
So I may have a solution for you, I have a Vapor as well and had the same rpm problem.

I ran the wire pickup for tach direct to the spark plug coil wire. (Before the coil)

This does involve removing the spark coil and the contacts, strip the vapor wire, and get it all back into the coil plug housing.

Once that is done, I have the ground going to the battery as well, and then you have to change the PPM setting on the Vapor from 0.5 (I think) to 2 (I think).

The PPM settings are only 0.5, 1, and 2, so play around to see what the correct setting is.

My Rpm's only glitch is at ~7500 rpm it will jump to the off the scale for half a second, then resume perfect readings at ~7700RPM+

Hope that helps a bit.

I was in contact with Trail Tech and their sending me a new Tach Cable. the one that came with my kit was only one wire, no ground. I'm getting a two wire cable.
this is what I'm going to try next

Trail Tech Vapor Option_3_Coil_Over_Plug_Connector

Last edited by TwoBuells on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 9:28 pm

this is the way I had the tach wire installed, but with no ground wire I'm getting a lot of RF interference.
Thanks for the tips, I'll post my results when I get the other cable in the mail

Trail Tech Vapor Option_4_Coil_Over_Plug_Stick_Wrap
Back to top Go down
TwoBuells

TwoBuells

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 8:22 pm

This was my solution,
I had to solder the Tach Lead to the Orange wire on the connector to the coil/spark plug. Black wire to a Frame Ground. The Tach cable also has a 600 ohm resistor inline. The Power leads are connected to my battery, pos and neg. Also the Tach was set to 0.5
no more RF wings

Trail Tech Vapor Option_3_Coil_Over_Plug_Connector
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trail Tech Vapor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trail Tech Vapor   Trail Tech Vapor Empty

Back to top Go down

Trail Tech Vapor
Page 1 of 1