Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Speedo healer question

Go down 
+10
Rapid Dog
sturgeon
duanew
RattTongue
12oclocker
chris07r6
Jaynorcalx
tyrone
motokid
Brittas
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brittas

speedo - Speedo healer question Empty
PostSubject: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

My speedo is way out on my WR250X. I have noticed distance travelled is pretty accurate. If I get a speedo healer and get the MPH correct will it then throw out my distance travelled?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 am

Brittas wrote:
My speedo is way out on my WR250X. I have noticed distance travelled is pretty accurate. If I get a speedo healer and get the MPH correct will it then throw out my distance travelled?

Yes.

The trade off is knowing your speed is highly important around police officers.

Knowing exact distance...... dunno

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
tyrone

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 am

I prefer the odometer to be accurate. Makes it easier to calculate mpg. The speedometer reading a little high shouldn't get me into trouble.
Back to top Go down
Jaynorcalx

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:49 am

is this true?.. i just oredered one. would the miles error over or under?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 11:08 am

Yes, it's true. I have one.

It's also explained on the 12 o'clock labs web site.

Your gearing and rear tire size define how much correction needs to be made to get your speedometer indicating an accurate rate.

The more you adjust the speed, the more you adjust the odometer.

Speed or distance.
One or the other.
Only you can decide which is more important.

You can thank Yamaha for that nonsense.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Jaynorcalx

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:02 pm

ahh alright. so with your 48t, does the odometer error over or under the actual mileage? ive got a 45t so they would error similarly.
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:39 pm

IF YOU GET A SPEEDOHEALER BOTH WILL BE CORRECT horse
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Ooops....I see what I may have done. Shog Shog

"Speedohealer" verses http://www.12oclocklabs.com/

The SpeedoDRD is what I have and won't allow you to "fix" both.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:56 pm

motokid wrote:
Ooops....I see what I may have done. Shog Shog

"Speedohealer" verses http://www.12oclocklabs.com/

The SpeedoDRD is what I have and won't allow you to "fix" both.

I fuged up and typed the wrong thing. So you mean that with my speedodrd that the speedometer is right now and the odometer is reading wrong? or are you guys saying that you would like to get the mileage right after you drove for awhile with the speedo messed up?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes...the 12 o'clock labs speedoDRD only corrects one thing. Either mph or distance.

The stock Yamaha speedometer is 7.7% off, but the odometer is close to spot on.

Both numbers are calculated off the transmission shaft or something like that.

So when you electronically fix one, you also change the other.

From what I've read it's not exactly a one-to-one change, but the more you alter the mph the more you alter the odometer.

Using the speedoDRD from 12 o'clock labs you have to make a choice.

I forget what my odometer is off, but using 13/48 gearing and a Distanzia rear tire my speedometer was off something close to 25%.

I once measured a set distance in my car then on my X after the speedometer was fixed and the distance was not off by 25%.

To me the distance being off is not an issue. With local law enforcement being everywhere I NEED to know what speed I'm going very often.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 pm

motokid wrote:
Yes...the 12 o'clock labs speedoDRD only corrects one thing. Either mph or distance.

The stock Yamaha speedometer is 7.7% off, but the odometer is close to spot on.

Both numbers are calculated off the transmission shaft or something like that.

So when you electronically fix one, you also change the other.

From what I've read it's not exactly a one-to-one change, but the more you alter the mph the more you alter the odometer.

Using the speedoDRD from 12 o'clock labs you have to make a choice.

I forget what my odometer is off, but using 13/48 gearing and a Distanzia rear tire my speedometer was off something close to 25%.

I once measured a set distance in my car then on my X after the speedometer was fixed and the distance was not off by 25%.

To me the distance being off is not an issue. With local law enforcement being everywhere I NEED to know what speed I'm going very often.

I think you posted on this before

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5686-speedo-issue

Quote:
FAQ: Will the device correct the odometer as well?
Yes, it will correct the odometer as well, although sometimes getting
them both 100% correct continuously is not possible,
this is because some bikes have an odometer error rate which is not
equal to the speedometer error rate,
since your ECU uses the same signal to determine both the odometer
reading and the speed reading,
this type of problem lies within the ECU itself. If you find yourself
in this situation,
you will be able to get your speed 100% and the odometer very close. Or
you can choose to get the odometer 100% and the speed very close,
or you could even choose a happy medium between the two, and get them
both equally close, its up to you, and it depends on how
far apart the two error rates are from each other.

To determine your Distance error rate, use this formula:
100 - ((Actual Miles Traveled / Miles Displayed on Odometer) * 100) = Distance Error Ratio
where "Actual Miles Traveled" is a mileage reference which is known to
be accurate, such as by a rolling wheel ruler, or laser distance
measuring tool.
(even wheel rulers and laser measuring tools have a margin of error)

To determine your Speedometer error rate, use this formula:
100 - ((GPS Speed / Speedometer Readout) * 100) = Speed Error Ratio

To determine the correction ratio for an error rate, you simply invert the sign, example:
for a 7% error rate, you would need a -7% correction ratio entered into your SpeedoDRD device

Another factor to consider is that your odometer has probably been racking up inflated miles for quite some time now,
so if your odometer is say around 4% errored and your speedometer is around 6% errored,
and you already have say 1000 miles on your bike, you really only have 960 miles on your bike,
and if you correct for the speed using a -6% correction ratio to get 100% accurate speed readings,
you will cause a -2% correction on the odometer. This means that 2000 miles after using your -6% correction ratio,
your odometer will finally read what it actually should.
This is the most common situation among users which have error rates which are not equal,
because the speed almost always has a higher error rate than the odometer if the two error rates are not equal.
For this reason, and in most circumstances,
it is usually best to go ahead and select to calibrate your speed to be 100% accurate.

Last edited by chris07r6 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jaynorcalx

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 pm

makes sense. thanks for the insight, thats all i really needed. my speedodrd shipped today! speedo being so off was getting annoying!
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Hey guys, regarding the SpeedoDRD, yes unfortunately their is no device that can correct both the odometer and speedometer to both be exact on our WR250X/R's... Since Yamaha in their infinite wisdom has decided to make the Speedometer not line up with the odometer on this particular bike, from what I have seen they are about 7% apart. GAHHHH

If you find yourself in this situation (as us WR owners are), you will be able to get your speed 100% and the odometer very close. Or you can choose to get the odometer 100% and the speed very close, or you could even choose a happy medium between the two, and get them both equally close, its up to you, and it depends on how far apart the two error rates are from each other.

To determine your Distance error rate, use this formula:
100 - ((Actual Miles Traveled / Miles Displayed on Odometer) * 100) = Distance Error Ratio
where "Actual Miles Traveled" is a mileage reference which is known to be accurate, such as by a rolling wheel ruler, or laser distance measuring tool, GPS device, etc.

To determine your Speedometer error rate, use this formula:
100 - ((GPS Speed / Speedometer Readout) * 100) = Speed Error Ratio

To determine the correction ratio for an error rate, you simply invert the sign, example:
for a 7% error rate, you would need a -7% correction ratio entered into your SpeedoDRD device

Another factor to consider is that your odometer has probably been racking up inflated miles for quite some time now (if you have already done a gearing swap), so when comparing with a gps, if your odometer is around 4% errored and your speedometer is around 6% errored, and you already have put 1000 miles on your vehicle with an errored speedometer signal, you really only have only put 960 miles on your vehicle, thus if you correct for the speed using a -6% correction ratio to get 100% accurate speed readings, you will cause a -2% correction on the odometer. This means that 2000 miles after using your -6% correction ratio, your odometer will finally read what it actually should. This is the most common situation among users which have error rates which are not equal, because the speed almost always has a higher error rate than the odometer if the two error rates are not equal. For this reason, and in most circumstances, it is usually best to go ahead and select to calibrate your speed to be 100% accurate.

I hope everyone finds this info useful thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the response 12oclocker. Thanks a lot.

If your gearing change and tire choice make your stock Yamaha speedometer off by almost 25%, and you correct it to be spot on with a gps in terms of speed, how far off would your odometer be?

Would it be off 17.3%?

25% - the Yamaha 7.7% ?

Or is the ratio not that direct?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:31 pm

your welcome thumb If you correct your Speedometer to be Spot on with the GPS, your odometer will never be more than around 7% off from your speed, so your odometer would be about 7% slow. on these bikes the odometer is right at about 7% slower than the speedometer, or you could also say the speedometer runs about 7% higher than the odometer, but that margin between the two will never change. thumb
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:44 pm

So when i setup my sdrd i accounted for the 7.7% and the gearing change ... so now my odometer is not right but the speedo is right?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:48 pm

chris07r6 wrote:
So when i setup my sdrd i accounted for the 7.7% and the gearing change ... so now my odometer is not right but the speedo is right?

Yep. thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:54 pm

gotta love Yamaha thumb
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 am

So would it be reading fast or slow?>
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:29 am

12oclocker wrote:
your welcome thumb If you correct your Speedometer to be Spot on with the GPS, your odometer will never be more than around 7% off from your speed, so your odometer would be about 7% slow. on these bikes the odometer is right at about 7% slower than the speedometer, or you could also say the speedometer runs about 7% higher than the odometer, but that margin between the two will never change. thumb

chris07r6 wrote:
So would it be reading fast or slow?>

If I recall correctly, and I'll do this test again very soon just to make sure, my odometer would show less than one mile for every one true mile traveled.

For every ten miles traveled my odometer would show 9-ish miles.

I know I posted the exact numbers around here somewhere from my test. I'll have to do some more searching.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am

12oclocker wrote:

I hope everyone finds this info useful thumb

Very.

The thing I find the most informative is that the odometer and speedometer are not in sync. I always assumed that my current 20% error in speed meant a 20% error on the odometer as well. I assume both are still calculated off the same sensor its just a matter of an error in precision in the calculations???
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm

odo will always be slower Very happy
Back to top Go down
chris07r6

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Then we are good thumb
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:50 pm

12oclocker wrote:
gotta love Yamaha thumb

Yes, but they are not the only one. In my experience this is very common even in automobiles. It really irritates me that they can set the odometer correct from the factory but don't with the speedometer. I have heard that it has something to do with a regulation of some sort.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 pm

duanew wrote:
12oclocker wrote:
gotta love Yamaha thumb

Yes, but they are not the only one. In my experience this is very common even in automobiles. It really irritates me that they can set the odometer correct from the factory but don't with the speedometer. I have heard that it has something to do with a regulation of some sort.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the last several cars and trucks in my family have had very accurate speedos. Bikes, not so much wink
If they're doing it deliberately, it's gettin' kind of silly, given the proliferation of things like GPS.
Most people I ride with know exactly how fast they're going, no matter what the speedo says.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedo healer question   speedo - Speedo healer question Empty

Back to top Go down

Speedo healer question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next