Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New style boots

Go down 
+4
Bikeman
cryptomundo
Arkmage
Brianr4
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Brianr4

Brianr4

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: New style boots   New style boots EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Looking to get some boots to ride my R.
I see some styles have a different type of outer sole, almost like a tennis shoe style as compared to pure motox with a pronounced heel and steel toe cap.
Are these better for walking and more comfortable?

New to the dual sport world and just looking for some better protection than my paratrooper style boots offer, without going full bore racing style boots.
Looking at the Oneal Racing Elements 2012.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:22 am

I tried on the oniel elements and didn't care for them. There was a pinch point in the molding right where that little bone sticks out from my ankles. I wore them around the store for 5 minutes and my feet hurt like I'd been riding for hours.

I ended up with a pair of tech 3s. Not quite twice the price and comfortable out of the box.

Only feedback I can offer so far, in the little amount of riding I've managed to get in since buying them, is that I'm going to have to adjust the shift lever position and learn to shift all over again.

If you want something you can walk in you should consider some of the adventure touring type boots out there. The alpinestar scouts are popular. Sidi discovery/adventure are priced higher than giraffe balls but have fantastic reviews. There is also an option from Gaerne that has gotten a lot of good feedback from the adv crew. For general dual sport use I'm not sure I'd want motocross boots. I bought mine for trail riding.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 am

hey brian, what are you looking for in protection? I have the Gaerne balance oiled boots and are very comfortable, waterproof, but not much ankle protection. I would not wear offroad. Unless you go with the SG-12, I doubt you will get much protection from the other Gaerne boots. I have a pair of SG-10's I ride MX and would work fine on the WR except the SG-10 only works well with inside the boot pants .. over the boot pants do not work well with the SG-10 because of the protection on the back of the boot makes it wider round. This year I am riding offroad with Sidi Crossfire TA's and so far I really like the boots, except they are not made for walking long distance (they squeek like bastard too lol). The SG-10's are just a tad big for my foot and the Crossfires fit better. The Crossfires have great protection, very well built, great buckle system, and are light, and feel good from the start (no break-in). The Alpine stars might work fine for some people, but for me I tried the tech-3's and they did not work out .. i could not get them broken in enough to shift and brake. the gap between the shifter and footpegs dont leave much room for a boot without a hinge system or some flex .. you could go with the fastway pegs which moves the pegs down and back a little .. that might help if you go with a tech boot.
Back to top Go down

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:41 am

Check out Gaerne GX-1. Atomic Moto sells them for just under $200.

IMO, they're the benchmark for under $200

solid construction, comfortable, reasonably waterproof, and they can take tons of abuse. I've had mine for 3 riding seasons and still going strong.

If I could improve one thing, I would ask Gaerne to use better treads for walking in mud/slippery surfaces. Otherwise, awesome boots.
Back to top Go down
Bikeman

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:52 am

cryptomundo wrote:

This year I am riding offroad with Sidi Crossfire TA's and so far I really like the boots, except they are not made for walking long distance (they squeek like bastard too lol).
[b]

Try squinting a little silicone spray or wrk some Neatsfoot oil into the ankle hinge/pivot area. Works like a charm to keep the squeak away.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 pm

I ride the Fox Comp 5. Its a moto x style boot however it is not 'hard' shell. It provides great protection agaisnt branches, rocks being chucked up etc but I can walk around easy with it. Its super light and I would say its water 'resistant' only because the flap that runs up the foot area isn't sealed off. Direct spray from puddles etc will leak into the boot however I have never had an issue in rain with my feet getting wet. Has a workboot style sole. Very nice boot.
Back to top Go down
Brianr4

Brianr4

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: thanks for responding   New style boots EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 am

But my real question is about the different style sole on the boots.
I have never worn this new style that I see now. I have always had motocross type boots with the hard sole.
Was wondering if anybody has the boots with the rubber looking tennis shoe style. And are they strong and supportive?

The Alpinestar Tech 3 is available with either sole, standard all-purpose sole and all-terrain sole.

Thanks!
thumb
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:47 am

I have A* Tech 3's with the "adventure" sole when I know I will be doing off-road.

For everyday commuting and street riding I wear Shift Fuel street shoes. I bought them a few years ago at Iron Pony. I really like them. More protection than a tennis shoe but not as bulky as a boot. There's a trade off of course because if I crash they won't offer near the protection as a boot, but the trade-off for me livable. You have to decide for yourself what you need and can live with. I needed something with better protection than my Nike's but that I can still walk around in all day. Currently I am adult EET student and wear them all day on campus. These fit the bill nicely. When they wear out I will have to find something else as it appears they may no longer make them.
Back to top Go down
skierd

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 pm

I've found that lug soles like are found on work boots work better walking around but can get hung up on the pegs when moving around occasionally. Mx and slick style soles work great on the bike but are not as good walking around when its snotty out or muddy. The near smooth sole on my alpunestars shibuyo riding shoes has been great however.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: New Gaerne G-Midland Adventure Boot   New style boots EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 4:06 pm

...I've tried quite a few boots for dualsporting. MX boots are way to heavy for what I like to do.
Had the SIDI Adventures which where primo but sold them when I thought I was done riding in the dirt.
SIDI Discos are a good 'tweener as well but don't feel they have enough ankle stiffness for protection.
My new kicks are the latest Gaerne G-Midlands.
These are the shite for dualsport and all-around. Rode in the snow last week, totally warm and dry.
Did a 2500 mile road trip to New Mexico a week ago and they where super comfy. Even wore them two days walking and hiking.
A lil on the high side for price...but ya gets what ya pay for.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710711&highlight=Gaerne

New style boots Gaerne-g_midland
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New style boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: New style boots   New style boots Empty

Back to top Go down

New style boots
Page 1 of 1