Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Overheating with Flatland radiator guard

Go down 
+13
ModalGuy
YamahaTN
Pokey
skierd
2Stamp
sswrx
seattlewrguy
Just Bob
KLRchickie
motokid
cryptomundo
sewerat
grw800
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
IdahoWR250R

Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 50/50 mix   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 pm

"The coolant I used was a Honda product, 50/50 no mixing required."

Just as a note, the thermal transfer qualities of 50/50 mix is much less than straight water as one of the other posters recommended.

I use a 70water/30anti-freeze mix in all my equipment. I think that the 7% better heat transfer makes a difference especially when the radiator is marginal to begin with. Yes, the boiling point is lower, but I just assume avoid those high temps to begin with. Besides, now that I am not living in Alaska any longer, I don't need -34F protection.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Another update, one year later. I made it through the hottest part of the summer without a single overheating incident, and we had temps here as high as 110° F. I think the biggest help was the scoop pictured in my last post. It directs much more airflow through the radiator.
Back to top Go down
rvsixer

rvsixer

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 9:20 pm

grw800 thanks for the update.

I have the Flatland skid plate and radiator guard arriving this week, and think I will fabricate the front scoop and install it from the get go.  My wife wants to move back to Texas anyhow, can never be too ready for all that heat and wetness LOL.
Back to top Go down
hyperboarder

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 am

I've got the Flatland radiator guard on the way, hopefully installing this weekend. How did you make the scoop, just some snipped aluminum? Seems like a reasonably easy safeguard.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Yep, I just cut it from a piece of 17 gauge aluminum. I drilled and tapped #10-32 holes in the guard and fastened the scoop to it with machine screws.
Back to top Go down
HighDrag

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 6:51 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I searched and found this issue which is similar to my problem. Have less than 1000 miles on my bike, and never an issue until today. I installed the Flatland Racing radiator guard and an IMS 3.1 gal tank today. Took it for a 20 mile spin at about 55mph and when I got back the radiator was boiling and coolant was dripping on the ground. I checked the fan and it was running. Any thoughts? By the way, I live in Cloudcroft NM and the temp is only 73 degrees.

Hate to pull the bike back apart, can't imagine what I might have done.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Mine has never once overheated again after installing the aluminum scoop pictured in my post of Aug. 31, 2012.
Back to top Go down
HighDrag

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Might have found my problem. The radiator cap was a little loose, so that could explain it. I sure hope so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overheating with Flatland radiator guard   Overheating with Flatland radiator guard - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Overheating with Flatland radiator guard
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2