Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER

Go down 
+2
motokid
st3p
6 posters
AuthorMessage
st3p

GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER Empty
PostSubject: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 am

Hello,
I finally got the driver licence, I used my WR250X for the exam and worked perfectly (very very high idle Very happy ).

After the exam I mounted a LeoVince exhaust, I paid it only 100 € plus shipping!

I get more power after 6500 rpm but the torque between 5000 and 6000 rpm is a little bit less cry
I knew it so no problem...

Now I would like to try an FMF programmer (cheaper than power commander) but I would like to block the air flapper before.

Will I get more low end torque by a programmer?
Will I elimiate the gap between 5000 and 6000 rpm?

Thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 am

Your bike will be more responsive to throttle input across the rev range with a programmer.

Get one. You'll be happy.

For more low end torque....gearing changes. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:41 am

I had a leovince x3 too. And a powercommander v. You have to remve the Airboxlid to remove the powerdecrease between 5500-7000rpm.

The problem with the pc5: the only map with "no airbox lid" is with no sparkarrestor/db-eater.

The Leo vince is holy loud without that fucking pipe- much too loud i think... After 2000miles the Leovince gets even louder (with/out sparkarrestor) so loud, that your ears hurt (with a helmet), if you drive without that pipe- and it sounds not as sonor/dark as a new one- sounds a bit like an empty (metal)oilcanister with china crackers in.
Its really hard work to repack this muffler

Bad choice to get the Leo. I have sold mine and get a Gyt-R.

I have no idia how a fmf-programmer works- maybe you have a better choise of maps for the leo
Back to top Go down
st3p

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 10:34 am

germanwr250r wrote:
I had a leovince x3 too. And a powercommander v. You have to remve the Airboxlid to remove the powerdecrease between 5500-7000rpm.

The problem with the pc5: the only map with "no airbox lid" is with no sparkarrestor/db-eater.

The Leo vince is holy loud without that fucking pipe- much too loud i think... After 2000miles the Leovince gets even louder (with/out sparkarrestor) so loud, that your ears hurt (with a helmet), if you drive without that pipe- and it sounds not as sonor/dark as a new one- sounds a bit like an empty (metal)oilcanister with china crackers in.
Its really hard work to repack this muffler

Bad choice to get the Leo. I have sold mine and get a Gyt-R.

I have no idia how a fmf-programmer works- maybe you have a better choise of maps for the leo

Very interesting... thumb
So my quest is --> Remove Airbox lid = AIR flapper removal
Then install a programmer with a specific map for my LeoVince

Thanks for you advice

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 12:04 pm

st3p wrote:

Remove Airbox lid = AIR flapper removal

What do you mean by "lid"?

Do you mean the airbox door? Or are you going to fully gut the top of the airbox?

Just so you know - airbox door removal does not equal flapper mod or AIS + flapper mod.

Airbox door removal is a huge difference in intake capacity.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:54 pm

motokid wrote:
st3p wrote:

Remove Airbox lid = AIR flapper removal

Airbox door removal is a huge difference in intake capacity.

..and airbox NOISE... budah
Back to top Go down
germanwr250r

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:07 am

Yes i mean the flapper-mod (dynojet call it Airboxlid with their maps)...
I just tried something with the Gyt-R can: i taped the hole of this silver valve (but did not reinstall the flapper) and rode with the map Leovince: with sparkarestor, stock airfilter.
Seems to have more power than with the map with the flapper,- and sparkar. removed....
Maybe this map works even better with the right exhaust, you have.

You have to remove the ais too: when i drive the Leovince with a programmer it don't only "popps" it realy banged very loud... Some of this explosions was so heavy, that the bike gets slower in this time. After about 20 of this explosions (about one week driving), the exhaust- gases leak between mufflerpipe and muffler and mufflerpipe and header.
Back to top Go down
st3p

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:48 am

germanwr250r wrote:
Yes i mean the flapper-mod (dynojet call it Airboxlid with their maps)...
I just tried something with the Gyt-R can: i taped the hole of this silver valve (but did not reinstall the flapper) and rode with the map Leovince: with sparkarestor, stock airfilter.
Seems to have more power than with the map with the flapper,- and sparkar. removed....
Maybe this map works even better with the right exhaust, you have.

You have to remove the ais too: when i drive the Leovince with a programmer it don't only "popps" it realy banged very loud... Some of this explosions was so heavy, that the bike gets slower in this time. After about 20 of this explosions (about one week driving), the exhaust- gases leak between mufflerpipe and muffler and mufflerpipe and header.

Very interesting again thumb

I'll modify the flapper locking it with adhesive... Then what do you think to mount a better air filter?
I hope that these mods will help to eliminate the power decrease between 5500 7000 rpm.

I don't want to remove AIS becasue of "poppong problem" now with the only mod Leovince the sound is perfect without any pops...

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:18 am

The general theory goes like this.

The AIS is there to control/prevent backfiring (popping) with the stock exhaust system in place.

Once you remove the stock exhaust, the AIS actually makes the backfiring worse.

If your bike is running fine with the AIS on, there's no advantage to removing it other than shaving off a little weight.

However, the theory goes, remove the AIS if you remove the stock exhaust, or you'll encounter more backfiring.

dunno

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:40 pm

motokid wrote:

The AIS is there to control/prevent backfiring (popping) with the stock exhaust system in place.
My impression was that the general theory behind most vehicles with efi and catalytic converters, was to use fresh air injection into the exhaust to keep the catalytic converter clean and hot. The reason then you wouldn't need it once you change to a different muffler was that you no longer have a catalytic converter.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:44 am

xy500 wrote:
motokid wrote:

My impression was that the general theory behind most vehicles with efi and catalytic converters, was to use fresh air injection into the exhaust to keep the catalytic converter clean and hot. The reason then you wouldn't need it once you change to a different muffler was that you no longer have a catalytic converter.

Bottom line - once the stock exhaust is gone, the AIS is nothing more than weight.

No performance advantage to leaving it on, or taking it off, but removing it reduces weight and there's no effect in power, response, backfiring, pinging, popping, or otherwise.

No stock exhaust - no need for AIS.

thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
st3p

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:12 am

I don't think that AIS is needed only with stock exhaust...
I read some discussion where someone with aftermarket exhaust removed AIS and obtained only the "POPPING PROBLEM".
AIS bring FRESH AIR in the exhaust system wink

Now the bike with Flapper mod has a better response in mid and high range.

So next step would be new AIR FILTER K&N...

I am looking for an FMF PROGRAMMER too but I am not hurry thumb

Back to top Go down
Marioscario

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:25 am

Why not do HiFive's ultimate air box mod. It definitely opens things up if you look at the before and after pictures . It was easy to do. I used black sealant adhesive and it looks great. Cant even tell it's been modded. I patched the hole on the top with the same stuff . I will mount my fmf programmer there. For now, I left the wires long and tucked it under the seat strap so I can play around with it until I get it dialled in to what I'd like.

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/air-intake/77-airboxmod
Back to top Go down
st3p

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:46 am

Marioscario wrote:
Why not do HiFive's ultimate air box mod. It definitely opens things up if you look at the before and after pictures . It was easy to do. I used black sealant adhesive and it looks great. Cant even tell it's been modded. I patched the hole on the top with the same stuff . I will mount my fmf programmer there. For now, I left the wires long and tucked it under the seat strap so I can play around with it until I get it dialled in to what I'd like.

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/air-intake/77-airboxmod

Thank you MARIOSCARIO it's a nice advice...
The next step would be to buy K&N air filter then the AIRBOX MOD then FMF FUEL PROGRAMMER.

I hope that with this mod I'll can wheelie in the first gear only with gas wings

Are you from Italy?
I am from Rome :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER   GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER Empty

Back to top Go down

GOOD NEWS ABOUT PIPES... IT'S TIME FOR A PROGRAMMER
Page 1 of 1