Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fell off the bike again yesterday...

Go down 
+11
BoredAzHell20
GusinCA
Adaycj
oic0
bruno
Coop
motokid
Corycy
YamahaTN
Arkmage
pbnut
15 posters
AuthorMessage
pbnut

pbnut

Fell off the bike again yesterday... Empty
PostSubject: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm

...going all of ZERO miles per hour.

I was heading to work along a bumpy street. I was standing on the pegs, but a light turned red ahead of me. As I transition to sitting I put my right leg out to stabilize myself. It didn't quite get to the ground... My pant leg caught on the peg so the bike tipped over before I could get the foot planted. I ripped my pants trying to kick free.

Damage was limited to my pride (I was in a pack of cars sitting at the light now), and a bent brake lever.

Anyone else have some embarrassing moments on the road?
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:34 pm

pbnut wrote:
...going all of ZERO miles per hour.

I was heading to work along a bumpy street. I was standing on the pegs, but a light turned red ahead of me. As I transition to sitting I put my right leg out to stabilize myself. It didn't quite get to the ground... My pant leg caught on the peg so the bike tipped over before I could get the foot planted. I ripped my pants trying to kick free.

Damage was limited to my pride (I was in a pack of cars sitting at the light now), and a bent brake lever.

Anyone else have some embarrassing moments on the road?

Any time you crash/fall/drop the bike it's embarrassing. I've been there a number of times on every bike I've had.

Sh*t happens :)

I have had the same thing happen to me a number of times. When I started wearing the high ankle boots I also started tucking my pant legs in for exactly this reason.
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 pm

If you ain't wreckin', you ain't ridin'.
Back to top Go down
Corycy

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:51 am

On a trip to Fl, so i was loaded down. I was stoped for gas and was standing with the bike between my legs and the gas handle in my hands. I stoped paying attention and the bike just fell over between my legs, leaving me standing there with the pump handle in my hand.

It was pretty embarrassing, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 am

I had a Honda Interceptor way back and as I was leaving my mother's house I had to stop at the end of the driveway to let a car pass. I decided it was an opportune time to check the lights on the back of the bike.

rear left turn signal? check
rear right turn signal? check
squeeze front brake for brake light? check
step on rear brake pedal for brake light? check

for whatever unknown reason, after doing all that, last thing being a right foot dab on brake pedal, my mind farted and I dabbed me left foot on the gear shifter.

Bike popped into first gear and lurched forward about 3 inches before it stalled.

Me with only one foot on ground, twisted around so I could look at rear lights, and nowhere near expecting the bike to move, promptly fell the phuck over. Going zero miles per hour. In my mother's driveway. hide hide hide

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:37 am

One time, with same Interceptor, I was moving shit around in my garage so I could get the lawn mower out. I had to roll the motorcycle past some other shit and rather than do things properly, I went for the lazy route.

I tried to lean the bike away from my body (I was standing on the clutch side and holding handlebars) and turn front wheel sharply to get it in a place I needed it.

Apparently I passed the leverage point which my then 135-ish pound self could handle, and the bike got away from me.

Standing in my garage, without the bike being on, no key in the ignition, I literally dropped my bike.

The only thing I did not do was fall on top of it which would have added to the embarrassment.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs

Last edited by motokid on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 am

Similar to Motokid, this happened in the garage. I just bought my 2005 SV650N. First and only brand new bike I have ever owned. I did not have the kickstand out all the way and I went to lean the bike over the stand folded in. I basically just lowered it slowly all the way to the floor because before I relaized it the bike was already over to far to stop. No scratches or damage except to my ego Very happy .
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:02 am

After I put street tires back on the X it didn't have the ground clearance to get the work stand under it without a little more effort.

One time I put my hip into it and accidently humped it over the top of the stand, bike fell over, I fell over on top of it.

My neighbors thought it was hilarious.
Back to top Go down
bruno

bruno

PostSubject: Crashes   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 am

I fall off the bike almost every day I ride it, I keep trying to ride more difficult obstacles so I generally fall on the first attempt, get up, curse, look around to see if there were any witnesses, and pick the bike up again. Try again. The bike has fewer scrapes than I do. :( Sometimes I think that I may be getting too old for this shit. But NO, it's too much fun.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:53 am

Never fallen on the road in my meager 8.5k miles. 2 times so far off road.
Back to top Go down
Adaycj

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 10:12 am

My ZRX was notorious for folding the kickstand and falling, they all are. I had owned mine for 7 years, but and the stand never folded in and I was very careful about it. On a trip in Canada I rode into nowhere after a fast food lunch. My need for a restroom became urgent and I decided to park on an unestablished "driveway" over the ditch. I didn't spend more than 3 seconds evaluating the loose dirt surface, as I had other things to attend to. After finishing my business deep in the woods, I returned to find the fully loaded ZRX on its side. 

The embarrassment occurred when I realized that the ground was too soft to pick it up. I eventually ended up digging a hole next to and under part of the machine in the sand to lay down and use my legs on the tank and seat to upright the machine. All this was as about 100 cars drove by wondering if I was burying a ZRX as I dug the hole. 
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:45 am

Way back when, I had a Honda Pacific Coast (kind of like a small Gold Wing) and I pulled up to the toll both for the Bay Bridge in San Francisco. With my wife on the back.
As I come to a stop, I put my foot down. my right foot. Right onto the patch of oil every car contributes to when they stop to pay the toll. My right foot slowwwwwly slid to the right and just barely caught on the dry cement before I fell all the way over. I still don't know how I had the superhuman inner thigh strength to keep the bike at that angle, but my wife hopped off and helped me push it back upright...

Oither than that, in 32 years of riding, I've never dropped a bike on the street...
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 am

I haven't had a real bad embarrassing experience myself dropping my bike, but I was with a friend that did. It was so embarrassing that I even felt embarrassed being with him. lol

Ate a restaurant that always have a crap load of people waiting in front. We had front parking and was leaving. Everybody was staring at us and when my buddy backed it up on to some uneven pavement he tipped his bike over on himself pinning his leg. He couldn't get up and I had to pick up the bike off of him. lol

That was pretty embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:48 am

Another garage drop here. Was checking my mirrors and went to lay the bike on the imaginary (folded) kickstand and fell over with it.

Another, more embarrassing time was when I went to take off in 2nd gear at a light. Had just exited the freeway after some hooligan action dodging cars. To make matters worse, there was an old timer on a bagged BMW dual sport that had pulled up in the other lane split. Went to take off giving it plenty of throttle at first, and then 5-10ft later after laxing off the throttle a bit, stalled suddenly and laid the bike over with some oncoming/impatient cagers behind me. Sprung to my feet real quick, picking up the bike at the same time, hopped on, started, attempted to hectically put into 1st gear, wouldn't go, so took off again in 2nd with tons of throttle this time. What a morning commute.
Back to top Go down
TurbStLCards

TurbStLCards

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 2:08 am

When I was a kid my Mom and Dad got into a fight at my little league game. So my Dad leaves in a hurry on his Harley. Problem is he forgot he locked the disc and made it all of six inches and dropped it while revving the shit out of the motor. I've had an embarrassing moment or two but nothing tops that.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:53 am

Heh...I drop my bike just about every trail ride, never on the road.
Though one day at the stop light, lookin at all the cruisers lined up at the coffee shop, I peered up to see the light was green already...so, I went to take off in a little startle, so as not to hold up traffic.
Well, I failed to negotiate the 24 beers and quart of rum in my backpack...
Which made me tug on bars quite hard...doing my first wheelie ever thru the intersection. Wasn't pretty, as I'm sure my large audience would agree. I can just imagine the "holy shit" look on my face.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 pm

First...

Two bike pile up. Pulled in next to another of my bikes and did the get off forgetting I hadn't put the kickstand down. Pinned me between my own two machines. Big duh!

Second...

Wear your lid! Lowsided a scooter in Southern Thailand at about 40mph. Only embarrassing to me. I hit so hard I did a costochondral separation. That's where you break all the ligaments connecting your sternum to your ribs and clavicle. My sternum is now permanently twisted out so that my rib cage is narrower and deeper - more aerodynamic. Very happy When my helmet hit it was like laying my head on a pillow. Not even a headache. The helmet cracked like an egg.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 2:42 am

Crashed again today!

I was at the racetrack this time though. Coming out of a turn I was off the racing line, in the dirt, and when I got on the throttle the rear stepped out. I thought I had saved it, but I'm pretty sure it was my wild body movement that sealed the deal. I basically just spun out and laid it down.
The pocket bike that I just passed proceeded to run me over...

Damage included a torn right grip, a rashed throttle tube, scuffed peg, pipe, and sliders, and a further bent brake lever. If this thing bends much more it'll be pointed forward!

No damage to me. My leather suit finally has some character though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fell off the bike again yesterday...   Fell off the bike again yesterday... Empty

Back to top Go down

Fell off the bike again yesterday...
Page 1 of 1