Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Tail Lights

Go down 
+35
novaks47
unoR
bassandgrass
WRXsmv15
nahoj
jason meacham
daren721
Daamud
pbnut
thunderwagn
motokid
WRXZ
Jäger
WRXer
twday
cryptomundo
njbill
Tyler
Nelonen
john92
WRXR
aaronhall555
Sproat Sport
usgpru27
skierd
soggytire
edteamslr
SoupSandwich
clapped_r6
jeffpack1957
cleanrivers
mtb
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
YamWOW!
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jeffpack1957

Tail Lights - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Sproat Sport wrote:
Is this light really plug and play? As in, unplug old taillight from harness near battery and plug in the new one?

https://sicassracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41_43_83&products_id=181

I don't want to cut/solder/heat shrink anything if I can avoid it.

Unplug the old, plug in the new. That was the truly easy part.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 pm

If you kept the part, I'd really like to buy a used mud guard/license plate holder.
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Mine was busted, but if you look in the wanted section, there were some folks that still have them.
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Ordered myself the "not-so" Easy Fit Taillight and flush mount LED blinkers from Sicass....just like jeffpack's setup. Thanks for leading the pack, jeff! Also ordered some OEM blinker connectors from Wheeling Cycle to hopefully make an easier wire job. Anyway, will let you know how the install goes.
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 12:08 am

Sproat Sport wrote:
Ordered myself the "not-so" Easy Fit Taillight and flush mount LED blinkers from Sicass....just like jeffpack's setup. Thanks for leading the pack, jeff! Also ordered some OEM blinker connectors from Wheeling Cycle to hopefully make an easier wire job. Anyway, will let you know how the install goes.

Actually the blinkers come with bullet connectors, (or the feder kit, I dont recall).

All I needed to do was drill 1 hole, and longer bolt/nut. You'll use 3 bolts all together, 2 from the kit, that go intothe 2 back holes (back of bike) and 3rd hole towards the ECU.

Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Tail Lights - Page 3 IMG_0616

Tail Lights - Page 3 IMG_0615

Tail Lights - Page 3 IMG_0614

Homemade. Too bad Yamaha can't do something so easy, instead they came up with that monstrosity. I could not stand the blinkers being above the tail light & don't want to run invisable aftermarket blinkers.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:48 am

WRXer wrote:
Homemade. Too bad Yamaha can't do something so easy, instead they came up with that monstrosity.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cropped tails make me think that's what circumcised midgets must look like.

A cool looking tail starts to seem really lame on your fourth day on the trail when you're stopping for the night yet again covered in water and mud - and wet - because your cute tail wouldn't stop what the whale tail does. Hoping your gear will be kind of dried out when it's time to go the next morning.

It stops most of the water and slop kicked up by the rear tire from ending up on me and my gear. That's pretty important to me. I can't see it behind me, so I don't care what it looks like. If those following me are offended by the sight of it... well then, it sucks to be them.

I am all about comfort, not so much about looks.

If I was mostly a pavement guy, I might see the tail in an entirely different light.
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 am

Wow. Nice homemade job. Some skills at work there. That's a good way to go.

Thanks for the heads-up on the mud spray issues, Jager. If it turns out to be making a real mess back there for me, then I always have the stock to revert back to. With all electrical connectors/harnesses intact in both units, it should be a pretty easy lego-like swap.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Jäger wrote:
WRXer wrote:
Homemade. Too bad Yamaha can't do something so easy, instead they came up with that monstrosity.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cropped tails make me think that's what circumcised midgets must look like.

A cool looking tail starts to seem really lame on your fourth day on the trail when you're stopping for the night yet again covered in water and mud - and wet - because your cute tail wouldn't stop what the whale tail does. Hoping your gear will be kind of dried out when it's time to go the next morning.

It stops most of the water and slop kicked up by the rear tire from ending up on me and my gear. That's pretty important to me. I can't see it behind me, so I don't care what it looks like. If those following me are offended by the sight of it... well then, it sucks to be them.

I am all about comfort, not so much about looks.

If I was mostly a pavement guy, I might see the tail in an entirely different light.

Not too much mud on the paved roads I ride with my X. Also, in the rain the ugly ass scoop on the rear of a WR250 has never kept me dry dunno . If its filth you are referring to the semi & cars in front of me do a fine job of coating me with that--besides on my over the road bike I have an ugly as scoop on the back of that too. But it is not as horrible as the WR; few are. The entire orientation of the lighting is fugly.

Last edited by WRXer on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Sproat Sport wrote:
Wow. Nice homemade job. Some skills at work there. That's a good way to go.

Well homemade might have been a bit of stretch. I measured & drew it but had it cut & bent for me, then powder coated. wink

Tail Lights - Page 3 LowGlossBlack-MiscParts
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:33 pm

WRXer wrote:
Not too much mud on the paved roads I ride with my X. Also, in the rain the ugly ass scoop on the rear of a WR250 has never kept me dry dunno . If its filth you are referring to the semi & cars in front of me do a fine job of coating me with that--besides on my over the road bike I have an ugly as scoop on the back of that too. But it is not as horrible as the WR; few are. The entire orientation of the lighting is fugly.
Therein lies the difference - not a lot of semis and cars to follow out in the forest service roads, but lots of stuff available for knobbies to pick up and throw up on your back and gear. Been there, done that, hate it. Washing yourself and your clothes in a mountain creek that just dripped off a glacier or melting snow pack fifteen minutes earlier gets really old in a hurry.

I'll even bet Japanese engineers somewhere tested different tail configurations in various dual sport road conditions to see how they worked in stuff like that, before settling on that one.

Nice fab job you did on the parts, BTW.
Back to top Go down
WRXZ

WRXZ

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 am

Anyone know if the stock turn signal will work with the DRC Edge 2 kit, or better yet have pics of this setup.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 pm

WRXZ wrote:
Anyone know if the stock turn signal will work with the DRC Edge 2 kit, or better yet have pics of this setup.

Thanks

Tail Lights - Page 3 DSCN0525

Tail Lights - Page 3 DSCN0526

Is that what you wanted to know?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
WRXZ

WRXZ

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks Motokid, that's exactly what i was looking for. thumb Did it require any additional hardware or were you able to make do with what was included in the kit?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:21 pm

I did not have to purchase anything other than the tail light kit.

No extra parts needed.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:01 am

Installing the Sicass Easy Fit Edge 2 today. So far I'm impressed with the product. It's a better bang-for-the-buck than the straight-up Edge 2 with aluminum bracket that I had bought from St. Cycles off Ebay. The Sicass version comes with a plug'n'play connector and the plastic bracket that it comes with is a more substantial unit that makes for a more solid install. They also included many more bits and pieces (washers, spacers, bolts, etc.), not to mention better instructions. Same price, so I would advise to anyone wondering which one to get, go with the Sicass.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Sproat Sport wrote:
Installing the Sicass Easy Fit Edge 2 today. So far I'm impressed with the product. It's a better bang-for-the-buck than the straight-up Edge 2 with aluminum bracket that I had bought from St. Cycles off Ebay. The Sicass version comes with a plug'n'play connector and the plastic bracket that it comes with is a more substantial unit that makes for a more solid install. They also included many more bits and pieces (washers, spacers, bolts, etc.), not to mention better instructions. Same price, so I would advise to anyone wondering which one to get, go with the Sicass.

Please post some pics and a review when finished.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

motokid wrote:
WRXZ wrote:

Thanks

Tail Lights - Page 3 DSCN0525

What did you do with the plate light circuit?
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Got my Sicass easy-fit taillight installed. Install was doable thanks to all the extra bits and pieces they included. Took some pics to upload, but no can do it seems. Oh well. It looks pretty good. Will give it a little review once I put some kms in the dirt and on the road. I'll ask my riding buddies about its visibility etc.
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Motokid, I know this is older than dirt, but just curious how you like or liked this setup? I like the fact of trimming up the back end some, but still keeping the stock signal lights. They seem like they would be more visible. I do think the led's look sweet, but I also want them to be seen.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm running the exact same setup as Motokid has pictured.

I couldn't be happier with it. Simple install, simple removal for trackdays, and plenty visible. thumb
Back to top Go down
Daamud

Daamud

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 pm

For what its worth.

I installed a cheap LED tail light..... Bla Bla Bla.....

Using the metal bracket from the stock tail, the front signal mounts can be bolted up, then use the rear signals (longer wires). They end up sitting about where the ones in the picture above do.

Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 7:28 am

pbnut wrote:
I'm running the exact same setup as Motokid has pictured.

I couldn't be happier with it. Simple install, simple removal for trackdays, and plenty visible. thumb

Hey thanks pbnut. Did you have to install a new relay or anything or is the flash rate only affected if you actually install LED flashers?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm

No additional relays/resistors. Same lights = same bulbs = same resistance. Bolt it up and go!
Back to top Go down
daren721

PostSubject: just modded my whale tale, spent 0$   Tail Lights - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm

It still juts out, its still a bit whale-ish, but its still better than the old one, and it was completely free by hacking up the old whale tale =)

OLD TAIL

Tail Lights - Page 3 20120611_110141

NEW TAIL

Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_184618

Was really pretty simple to do, didn't need any special tools (although I did use an old soldering iron to melt pieces apart poser2 because i don't have a dremel) other than that you can do this entire thing with your stock tool kit!

Separated the tail light and blinkers from the rest of the tail
Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_161230

Separated
Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_162635

Separated
Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_162616

Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_163542

Trimmed down the plastic. Crude I know, but I cleaned it up after
Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_164944

you have to separate the license plate light, which is just held on with two bolts. The Wire connecting the license plate light needs to be removed from the rest of the whale tail. I did this simply by cutting....er... melting a channel to pull the wire out.
Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_162527

Sorry I dont have pictures of the rest, but i drilled two holes into the trimmed tab I made on the license plate holder
The license plate light will be secured to the lower bracket, and the license plate holder will be sandwiched in between the licence plate light and the bracket (with those two holes you drilled) holding it securely in place

The brake light and blinkers mount to their original two bolts on top (two bolts under the rear fender). The only issue is that the blinker and tailight assembly were left secured only by the two bolts on top which made me worry about rattling. Luckily, its pinched pretty well with the license plate light... And on top of that I always keep these orange bungees on my bike in case i need to strap things down, so it further holds the two together.
Tail Lights - Page 3 20120612_184631

It makes the entire unit just a bit smaller. It definitely sticks out way less behind the bike. As far as how low it hangs, it realistically probably only raised it an inch or inch and a half? The fact that the taillight and blinkers are left only supported by the two top bolts in unfortunate, but overall im pretty happy about it. That it was completely FREE definitely makes me smile Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail Lights   Tail Lights - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tail Lights
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next