Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Power Commander V aggressive upsell

Go down 
+4
dmmcd
YZEtc
motokid
Rusty Shovel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

Power Commander V aggressive upsell Empty
PostSubject: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 6:33 am

I recently purchased a power commander V, only to learn that they have no preexisting map for the most common setup of the WR250R: FMF full exhaust with the Ultimate airbox mod. In fact, they only offered about 11 preset tunes. I inquired to Dynojet for an updated list of tunes and they responded:

You can certainly see the bikes that we have had an opportunity to tune and make maps for here. http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_maps_installs_product_buy_options.aspx?mdlyrid=22-043&make=28&model=96&make-n=Yamaha&model-n=WR250X/R&year=2013&mk=28&mdl=96&yr=2013.
Of the customers who donated their bikes to us that had the FMF full system, 1 was reluctant to let us make another map with the lid off, the other had a bigger cylinder on the bike and no lid in the first place.

Our predeveloped map #M22-046-006 is the closest to your setup that we currently have available in our map database library. The air flow characteristics between the two setups should be similar enough for the map to work for you as a starting point You also always have the option to have the bike dyno tuned and custom mapped specifically for your bike's setup and or riding style if you like at one of our approved tuning centers in your local area if you want to get it 100% optimized. Also, if you have the PC5 unit you could utilize the Auto-tune accessory to make a custom tune.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Chris Kelly
Dynojet Research Inc.
2191 Mendenhall Dr. Suite 105
North Las Vegas, NV 89081
1-800-992-4993

I'm a little flamed at this response. Of course I could double the amount I spent on their product with a custom tune or an auto tune unit! I didn't spend $300 to get to a "starting point"! I am tempted to return their artless attempt at an upsell back to them. $300 is a lot of money to spent on an incomplete product!

What have you people done? Is there an unofficial map download somewhere? I'm so pissed at the prospect of paying another $300 to get my existing $300 product to work properly.

Perhaps I should just send it back and get the FMF unit.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Rusty Shovel on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 am

I think you're a bit off base calling anything here a scam.

I see three maps listed in that link that might be worth trying.

To expect any company to have a "custom map" specific to your bike's mods is asking way to much.

What do others do?

They might take bike to a Dyno and have a technician set things up.
They might fiddle with settings on their own. (that's part of the fun)
They might spring for the auto-tune.
They might chose the closest existing map and get something they're happy with.

Not everything you buy is a simple plug&play system.

If you want - I'd be happy to do a direct, 1:1 trade with you.
I have an Attitude Industries programmer that's exactly like the FmF units, without the issues of setting #5 and mysterious bogs. Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:26 am

I'm a little confused as to why you're pissed off.

You posted this a little while ago:

Rusty Shovel wrote:
I'm going to get a Power Commander V and a FMF Q4. I'm also going to do the Ultimate Airbox Mod, pull the flapper, etc.

There's a dyno tuning center not far from my house, but I assume it will cost upwards of $160 to have it done. I'm thinking of getting an autotune unit instead. Does the autotune add on work as well as the advertisements suggest? Is it truly plug and play? Are there any downsides?

Thanks in advance!

Shovel

So you knew ahead of time the PCV was not going to come to you 100% perfected for your mods.

So what's the problem?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 am

Sounds like you should get the FMF unit like most WR-250R riders do.
It's (relatively) cheap, simple, works, and is a known item by lots of riders.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 am

The thing is tuning is never a direct plug and play solution. Every bike, every rider, and every environment provides different variables. So you start with a baseline and tweak to your liking, your environment, the specifics of your bike, etc. The autotune is supposed to do that automatically, based on your preferences for and A/F mixture, but still takes some work to get perfect. I prefer the butt dyno...

I will second motokid's offer. I have an FMF programmer that I will trade you straight up... wink
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:38 pm

motokid wrote:

Yeah, it was a late night post. You're probably right. I've changed the title.

Still, I think it's an incomplete product. No, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to offer more generic maps for popular set-ups. I'm not an early adopter; the programmer and this bike are pretty well established.

The funny thing is, I plan to get a custom tune anyway. I would just like to wait a while before I do. In the interim, I want a generic map that would get me 90% there. It's the NECESSITY of an add-on product that rankles me.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Rusty Shovel wrote:
motokid wrote:

Yeah, it was a late night post. You're probably right. I've changed the title.

Still, I think it's an incomplete product. No, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to offer more generic maps for popular set-ups. I'm not an early adopter; the programmer and this bike are pretty well established.

The funny thing is, I plan to get a custom tune anyway. I would just like to wait a while before I do. In the interim, I want a generic map that would get me 90% there. It's the NECESSITY of an add-on product that rankles me.

#1) They can't be reasonably expected to offer a complete map for every motorcycle & mod configuration. They do offer some generic maps.

#2) It's not an incomplete product.

#3) There is no necessity to buy anything else

#4) As I said - it looks like there's at least two or three maps they offer that might be worth trying. I bet one of them gets you "90% there".

One of them says something about a full exhaust with an open airbox. Why not try that?

Just because it's a different exhaust than FmF doesn't mean it won't be darn stinking close.

And just an FYI - even with a FmF unit you would still have to futz with it to get it dialed into your specific situation.
Look at the thread here on FmF programmer settings. It's dozens of pages long. If you could buy the unit straight from FmF with your exact needs that thread might be a page long at best.

So what about that trade? Even steven? We each just pay shipping?

Ya wanna? amazon amazon

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Props for changing the title..... thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I think the Dynojet guy's response was pretty helpful actually. I've been very pleased with the help I've gotten from them. One guy spent about an hour on the phone with me while I was trying to get an issue sorted out.

Best bet is to get the dyno tune, or if you have the cash, step up to the Autotune, which will allow you to optimize your fueling for your current and future mods without going to the dyno.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 pm

All the power commander isues that piss you off are the reasons I bought the fmf tunner that I can adjust myself in minutes.
I agree they should have a ton more maps to pick from.
I'd go with the map with the closest airbox mod and any aftermarket pipe for a starting point.
Airbox mods afect the mixture more than pipes do.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:16 am

People are going to have strong opinnions on both of these products and their merits, but the FMF made my bike run like absolute garbage. I purchased a used PC5 w/Autone and will never look back.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

DesertRatliff wrote:
People are going to have strong opinnions on both of these products and their merits, but the FMF made my bike run like absolute garbage. I purchased a used PC5 w/Autone and will never look back.
You know the FMF is adjustable, right?

hide
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 pm

You know what's adjustable???... thumb

Seriously though, simply dumping more fuel into the motor is not my definition of adjustable, especially when my daily commute varies from 9000 to 6500 ft.

Autotune rules. End of story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Commander V aggressive upsell   Power Commander V aggressive upsell Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Commander V aggressive upsell
Page 1 of 1