Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Won't start, sometimes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
deerHater

Won't start, sometimes Empty
PostSubject: Won't start, sometimes   Won't start, sometimes EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 am

All lights come on, the fuel pump too, but sometimes the engine won't turn over.
The bike has in the past been trucked exposed in wet winter conditions (salt! Suspect)

I guess I need to check/clean the:
- kill switch
- starter button
- clutch cutoff switch
- side stand cutoff switch (does the WR250X/R have one?)

Anything else?
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Won't start, sometimes   Won't start, sometimes EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:02 am

If all above check out ok, then maybe also look at all the electrical contacts in relation to the actual starter motor as well.

Maybe if the fault is occuring on a consistant basis, then you could use a simple test light to see if the crank signal is actually getting to the starter. If not then you definately will know to check into all those other components as you have listed.

Is there any slight 'clicking" noise at all in the crank position - or just nothing at all ?

Also in relation to the side stand cut out switch - i believe that this only comes into play when put into gear, but yes these bikes have 'em.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Won't start, sometimes   Won't start, sometimes EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 am

I wouldnt bother trying to clean these switches yet. I would find the plug for each and ring them out for continuity. Test all of them first to find which one is the tru problem. Yes, the side stand switch (is) a kill switch, only if the bike is in gear. I would also chech the simple stuff like starter wire, and battery cables. You may have enough contact to run a light and pump but while trying to start, the voltage drop of a loose wire may not let it start. Does the solenoid click when you push the button?
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Won't start, sometimes   Won't start, sometimes EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 am

No solenoid clicking noise when it does not crank. That's why I suspect a dirty contact.
Also I had just topped up the battery and checked the battery connections.

When this happened on my Triumph (1st day on a 2 week trip!) it was the clutch cutout switch.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll 'tear' into it this weekend...
It was sunny and warm(ish) here last Saturday, so I went for my first ride in over 3 months once the bike started.
But it looks like winter is returning for the next 4 of 5 days, more snow. GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Won't start, sometimes   Won't start, sometimes EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Good time to tear into it then. Let us know what you find.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Won't start, sometimes   Won't start, sometimes Empty

Back to top Go down

Won't start, sometimes
Page 1 of 1