Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ergonomics not right for tall rider?

Go down 
+4
Biglake
mucker
oic0
vike
8 posters
AuthorMessage
vike

Ergonomics not right for tall rider? Empty
PostSubject: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:05 am

Had my WR(r) almost 3 years now, and I just cannot get comfortable offroad standing. My knees are almost above the seat and I have to either pull them back and clench the seat (fall off the back!), or lean them forward and clench the tank (go over the bars!). The point inbetween is not right somehow, nothing to grab. Feels like I'm riding a mini bike and perched way up there!

So obviously I need lower footpegs and a raised seat. but is that enough?

Now for the fore-aft discussion!

I have risers, and the bars leaned forward and I still feel like the pegs are too forward. I feel like I'm falling off the back of the bike because my feet are in front of my body mass...makes me pull back on the bars all the time, and God help me on a hill, there is no where to lean forward as all the space is used up.

So question to the experienced: will dropping the pegs 10mm do anything? Sliding them back a full inch? (I've seen one guy here order custom)

Also I'm on my freakin toes all the time otherwise my boot will be on the shifter. Do riders splay their left foot out to avoid the shifter, ride on the ball of their foot, or lower the shifter so it is below pegs and your foot can be over it? (size 11.5 US if you are wondering)

Or should I be switching bikes? Are European bikes roomier in the cockpit. I mean geeze, I'm only 6' 2", but I want to ride a bike the right way...standing up!

Curious about how the WR "fits" most riders.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm ~6'3". No its not comfortable riding standing up for me. I have tall bars but not risers so standing isn't even feasible. Its way more comfortable and height friendly than my KX500 but I don't have much else to compare to.
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm 5'7", and standing up is pretty comfortable. Though, I would like to try taller bars and lower,rearward foot pegs. I bumped my shifter up 2 notches to accomodate my MX boots, size 9...couldn't ride it otherwise.

I can only imagine how cramped it feels for you tall guys.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 4:17 pm

I stood up going to get my lunch just to see how it is. My knees are higher than the seat :/
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Im only 5' 9"
I have one inch taller bars and I recently switched to lower rearward foot pegs, the bike finaly feels right while standing.
I really like the new pegs, the stock ones and the drc ones I bought to get wider pegs were too far forward, the rearward pegs put the shifter and brake pedal where they should be too.
I have no idea what pegs im running tho... I have a gasgas bike too, I knew it took the same pegs as a yz just like the wrr and noticed its pegs were about an inch further back so I switched em. The pegs that were on the gasgas are about 10 years old, plain looking like older cr/yz pegs, 1 3/4 wide and have no markings to identify them.
The fastway pegs in the low boy position would be pretty close to what I have but newer and nicer lol.
Back to top Go down
vike

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Big Lake,

Thanks for your reply. Encouraging to hear that an inch can make it feel more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Yup, I'm 5'10" and it feels just barely right for standing up for me.

Japanese bike built for Japanese riders... :)
Back to top Go down
Wrroom

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm just under 6'6" and I find the egos fine for me, stock. I can stand up comfortably for decent amounts of time and let the bike go wild, undulating beneath me. My knees are slightly bent as they should be. I tried a fit test that I read about, where you stand on the pegs with your toes, bend the knees a bit, and your fingertips should just touch the bars when you reach down. They do. You're supposed to be slightly bent when you ride standing up, with not locked elbows, to be able to handle the bike moving around under you (both up and down).

If I ever get aftermarket bars, I might consider going 1cm taller, just to try it out, but maybe not. I would, however, move the bars a bit *forward* to get a bit more room in the cockpit when standing up up steep hills. But again, it doesn't really bother me. A bit narrower a handlebar might also have the effect of "raising" the bar, since the arms wouldnt need to reach out as wide. I've read a taller seat would make the effort to stand up a bit easier, but I don't find it excessive as it is, so I don't plan on doing that. The long-time enduro racer Dwight Rudder mentioned on ThumperTalk that he doesnt recommend lowering pegs (maybe because it would reduce obstacle clearance).

I used to ride a DRZ400S with very high bars, and it was a shocking revelation in improved control (especially when sitting) when I put the stock bars back on just before I sold it. I have read some pro racers say that too many people have too-high a bar.

Don't forget that just because a person is taller, doesn't necessarily mean that their arms are significantly higher off the ground - the longer arms thatusually come with taller people offset that a lot. I recently did a comparison, standing side-by-side on the ground next to my wife, who is 11" shorter than me, and my arms are only 4" higher above the ground than hers.

Back to top Go down
Wrroom

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

I forgot to mention that a lowered shifter can be dangerous on the trail - your toe can catch something and break on the peg if you have to angle your foot way down to shift. Racers often raise their shifters even though they might need to actually lift their whole foot off the peg to downshift when seated toward the front of their bikes. Again, I remember readin that from Dwight Rudder on ThumperTalk. The "proper" position of the foot when actively riding is with the toe on the peg, not the arch of the foot. I use quotes, because I don't always do that myself, especially when just cruising along.

Having your toes on the peg as "should" be, also has the side effect of moving your whole body back a good half a foot, which is way more than 1cm rearward pegs would do.
Back to top Go down
zestymac

zestymac

PostSubject: Ergos   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.yamahawr250r.com/2011/09/pro-moto-billet-fastway-footpegs.html

My $.02 ... I'm only 6' but these made a nice difference for me.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Wrroom wrote:
I forgot to mention that a lowered shifter can be dangerous on the trail - your toe can catch something and break on the peg if you have to angle your foot way down to shift. Racers often raise their shifters even though they might need to actually lift their whole foot off the peg to downshift when seated toward the front of their bikes. Again, I remember readin that from Dwight Rudder on ThumperTalk. The "proper" position of the foot when actively riding is with the toe on the peg, not the arch of the foot. I use quotes, because I don't always do that myself, especially when just cruising along.

Having your toes on the peg as "should" be, also has the side effect of moving your whole body back a good half a foot, which is way more than 1cm rearward pegs would do.

I cant stand shifters that are lower than the peg, mines moved up a notch or two from stock and is about 2 cm higher than the peg.

My pegs are more like 2 1/2 cm rearward, the 1 cm lower part I could do without but you cant have rearward without being lower with most pegs.

Moving the pegs back also helps lighten the front end as your wieght is back further on the bike while standing and you are also leaned a bit more forward putting more wieght on the bars when you need to get up over the front of the bike... basicly the bike just handles better with the pegs moved back an inch as you can use your body wieght more effectively.

With the pegs moved back a inch and the bars moved up and forward an inch I have prety much the exact ergos as a new mx bike or my old gasgas which I found really comfy.
Back to top Go down
Wrroom

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 5:38 pm

I didn't know that MX bikes have the pegs further back, but thinking about it, it doesn't surprise me. I wonder why the WRR is more forward. Comfort, I guess. Too bad you can't get pegs that are just rearward, but not down.

Biglake, what pegs did you get to go back 2.5 cm and down 1? Sounds like that might be something I'd like to open up a bit more cockpit space.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I have unknown used ones off my gasgas lol.

They're a little further back than fastways going by pics.

Check out foot pegs for wr250r in the vendors section, that guy will make you rearward foot pegs.

Heres a pic of my pegs.Ergonomics not right for tall rider? 100_0511
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm 6'4". I don't stand up. In order for the bike to be configured to be able to stand, it might be necessary to put on special bars that will rise high enough. I don't think an inch lowering the pegs will help much. Maybe put ape hangers on it. Wouldn't that be a sight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ergonomics not right for tall rider?   Ergonomics not right for tall rider? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ergonomics not right for tall rider?
Page 1 of 1