Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
inroads

1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? Empty
PostSubject: 1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?   1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 9:07 am

I'm sure this topic is like beating a dead horse but should I trust my fuel pump on a long trip or
should I carry a spare waiting for the inevitable?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: 1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?   1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 am

how many miles have you already put on the bike?

how many miles is this long trip?

are you gonna be in the middle of nowhere or always near big cities with dealerships etc?

all 3 things would affect my decision. if already have put for example 10,000 miles on the original fuel pump, it's unlikely it'll give you problems with a 1000 mile trip. of course, if you are taking a 20,000 mile trip things may be different. also, the symptoms usually arise a bit before failure (ie, it doesn't fail catastrophically), you'll notice it'll be hard to start at times for example. so if you're always near civilization, there's a good chance you'll be able to catch the symptons in time, drive by the next big yamaha dealer and pick up a new fuel pump. if you are spending 3 weeks alone in the desert, things may be different...
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: 1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?   1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks bigg,good info.BTW were these 2008 fuel pumps ever warrantied by Yamaha are did they never fess up?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: 1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?   1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 pm

inroads wrote:
I'm sure this topic is like beating a dead horse but should I trust my fuel pump on a long trip or
should I carry a spare waiting for the inevitable?

So you didn't answer bigg's questions.

bigg wrote:
how many miles have you already put on the bike?

how many miles is this long trip?

What are your answers?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?   1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 am

I'd get a spare, but would leave it with someone reliable who'd UPS it overnight or 2nd day air if I ended up with a problem over carrying it with me. The pump itself is fairly fragile and easy to break when its not installed in the tank, especially the nipple where the fuel line attaches, and I wouldn't trust it surviving in luggage with the way I travel.

My first WRR was an early 2008, and never had a fuel pump issue up to ~17k miles when it was stolen. My current WRR has ~43,000 miles on it and its in the VIN range for failures... I broke a fuel pump once when it (and the tank) fell off the bike when I was changing the spark plug once at about 25,000 miles... the replacement came from a bike that was also in the VIN range that the PO replaced at ~10k miles as a preventative measure, and my pump is still going strong. His replacement pump failed lol.

In other words, stop worrying and ride the hell out of it. The pump rarely just stops working. What will happen is it'll start cutting out occasionally or be hard to start when hot. The problem will get more and more frequent until the pump finally eats itself internally... until that happens you can ride it and it takes more than a couple miles to finally kill it for good.
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: 1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?   1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 am

My bike has 3K miles,my trip maybe 2k miles.Seems like a good idea like you said to have one on hand.
I'll just bubble wrap it. Wow,43K miles and your in Alaska Skierd? Pretty cool! Your not Skierd wings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?   1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip? Empty

Back to top Go down

1/2008 VIN 700-can I trust this fuel pump on a long trip?
Page 1 of 1