Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR

Go down 
+23
Slideways
805gregg
Vinduroman
mollycbr123
sturgeon
Monkeynuts
CSAW
Krabill
X-Racer
SoCalCodyKid
woofer2609
skierd
Rusty Shovel
Gruvey12
PYG RYDR
dfoustou
saddletramp
sophijo
GusinCA
gatorfan
DragonNester
Torontorocko
airbornediver
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 5:32 pm

X-Racer wrote:
GusinCA wrote:
Except that KTM's break down.  A lot.

The above being a completely unfounded, hasty generalization statement...

I'm dying to know who is correct. I've been drooling over a few KTM models but the reputation for unreliability scares me off. They have such a great selection.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 12:26 pm

Monkeynuts wrote:
Have you seen the new CCM GP450 ? don't know if you'll be able to get it over where you are.

It's been making the rounds of the Canadian bike shows. It's certainly in a higher price class than the WRR. $7K vs $12K here, list price. Perhaps worth it, but you'd have to really want the extras.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Rusty Shovel wrote:
I'm still waiting for word on the KTM 390 Enduro R.  That model might finally win me over to the Orange Mafia.

Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 1002967_518453104887462_1890931006_n

Holy sh**! That thing is beautiful. If I see that in a shop I'm toast. The card is coming out.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Currently have the WRR, a YZ250, and a 1200 Multistrada in the stable.  Works for me.  The multi has never been off road, and never will, but it rules in the curvy roads!  I've been keeping my eyes open for a clean Road King, then I will have all the bases covered for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Vinduroman

Vinduroman

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 9:06 pm

I agree: OP got the wrong bike to start with. Buy what'cha want and go have fun. See 'ya.

After owning my '12 for nearly two years and putting on about 2400 miles of dual sporting spread over three different states I absolutely know I purchased the right bike for what I like to do.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 pm

mollycbr123 wrote:
Currently have the WRR, a YZ250, and a 1200 Multistrada in the stable. I've been keeping my eyes open for a clean Road King, then I will have all the bases covered for quite a while.

I'd say so .... thumb 
Back to top Go down
805gregg

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 7:52 pm

How about a Suzuki DR650, I rode it to Copper Canyon last year with a couple of WR's, 1200 miles of highway and 500 miles of bad off road, the WR were maxed out on the highway, while the DR just loafed along, they were great on the off road, the DR just tractored up everything. Mine is now a 790, so I have a 800cc bike that weighs 360 lbs
Back to top Go down
Slideways

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 1:15 am

airbornediver wrote:
Ive had my WR250 about 3 years now. I did everything you can to make it a better bike, but after taking a 200 mile trip I think its time for a new bike. This bike lacks power, torque and comfort. The bike is great for city riding or some trails, but sucks on the Highway. I am thinking about a 690 Duke or 2014 Ducati Hyper.

Only my third post. Picked up an X two days ago. You are looking at exactly the same two bikes I am considering to replace a Kawasaki Concours and the WR250X at some point. Will be interested to see what you get. lurk 
Back to top Go down
jswr450

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 am

After riding many 10s of thousands of miles on lots of bigger street bikes, including an 2006 FJR1300, I have to point out that almost no bike is comfortable for really long rides. Your butt hurts after a while (and on anything more cramped than a dual sport so do my knees).

I would go for a Japanese bike like a Super tenere or KTM as an alternative. A Ducati will get REALLY expensive to own if you ride a lot. Used Ducatis are inexpensive, but a trip to the parts store or service department will sting. If you don't put lots of miles on it then it won't matter though.

Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 pm

jswr450 wrote:
A Ducati will get REALLY expensive to own if you ride a lot. Used Ducatis are inexpensive, but a trip to the parts store or service department will sting. If you don't put lots of miles on it then it won't matter though.

Just my opinion.

Service intervals on the new Ducatis have been bumped out to 15k miles, so it's not so bad anymore. The last major service on my Multi was about the same cost as the 40k service on my old Honda ST1100.
Back to top Go down
PIEROWR

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 pm

to advise you against the Italian duchies, many electronic problems and a lot of maintenance, however the ktm and 'much more' performante.Hai also thought the 1200 yamaha super?
Back to top Go down
matt_leit

matt_leit

PostSubject: Understand but..   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 11:51 pm

I find that with all of the modifications the WR will do MOSTLY anything...... (highway pegs, better seat, luggage racks.)

Then again I'm young and my body can take it......

Best of luck on your search! (Check out the Triumph Tiger? I saw it at the IMS and it looks sweeet  thumb  )
Back to top Go down
Torontorocko

Torontorocko

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 8:52 am

matt_leit wrote:
I find that with all of the modifications the WR will do MOSTLY anything......

+1
 thumb 
Back to top Go down
jswr450

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 11:17 pm

mollycbr123 wrote:
jswr450 wrote:
A Ducati will get REALLY expensive to own if you ride a lot. Used Ducatis are inexpensive, but a trip to the parts store or service department will sting. If you don't put lots of miles on it then it won't matter though.

Just my opinion.

Service intervals on the new Ducatis have been bumped out to 15k miles, so it's not so bad anymore.   The last major service on my Multi was about the same cost as the 40k service on my old Honda ST1100.

Good to know that it's changed. Two of my good friends had Ducatis for a few years, and they were expensive to own, but they were really nice bikes. If a Honda is the same price to own/maintain as a Ducati I am truly amazed. Not because I think they are better but being cheap or a "value" has never been part of Ducati's business plan, as least in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
mollycbr123

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 11:31 am

jswr450 wrote:
mollycbr123 wrote:
jswr450 wrote:

Just my opinion.

Service intervals on the new Ducatis have been bumped out to 15k miles, so it's not so bad anymore.   The last major service on my Multi was about the same cost as the 40k service on my old Honda ST1100.

Good to know that it's changed. Two of my good friends had Ducatis for a few years, and they were expensive to own, but they were really nice bikes. If a Honda is the same price to own/maintain as a Ducati I am truly amazed. Not because I think they are better but being cheap or a "value" has never been part of Ducati's business plan, as least in my opinion.

It still hurts to take your Duc to have the maintenance done, usually about $1k USD for major services (valves, etc).  But  at 15k intervals, that usually means once a year for me.  I don't work on my bikes anymore other than fluids, tires, and minor stuff.  I've gotten to the point I just want to ride them, and have figured the service into the cost of ownership.
Back to top Go down
airbornediver

airbornediver

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Im still riding the hell out the WR. It is a fun bike, but I wish I had more power. When I hit the Highways is when I wish I had more power. It is just a 250 I know!
Back to top Go down
bcuubinfidel

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 am

Why would you ever want to ride on the highway? Life ain't that short. Enjoy the corners, relish in the wind, live a little. Get in the cage if you want to pile on the miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR   Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Want a new Bike. Tired of the WR
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2