Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Not starting/new programmer

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Williamsb27

Not starting/new programmer Empty
PostSubject: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 8:01 pm

I have decided to make an account after lurking for awhile. I have an 08 wr250x with a yoshimura rs-2, air box door removed, no removal of ais, idle mod, and my newly installed yoshimura pim 2.

The bike was running great today, then I decided to install the programmer. After installing and loading the rs-2 with spark arrestor map, the bike is not starting. Everything electrical is running, the fuel pump sound is there, and the bike sounds like it wants to turn over.

I can't think of anything that could be causing this besides maybe improper mapping?

Any help is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Sure sounds like a bad map.

Try a different map, or remove the pim thingy and see if bike runs again.

I know nothing about those pim things.

Very little has been posted here about them.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Yeah a bad map is kinda what I was thinking, but my friend ran the same thing and didn't have a problem. I'll try a different map and see what happens
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 7:47 am

Looking here: http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/p-4497-ems-pim2-fuel-maps.aspx

It's not like you have tons of options.
I doubt any of those three maps would be so different from the others that one would make your bike not run at all. That seems really far fetched.

Is it possible you had an incomplete download of the map?  dunno 

I'd try to download a new version of the map you want to use, and re-install the new version.

Then see what happens.

Maybe your first attempt was corrupted a bit in the download.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Well I downloaded the map again and still no luck. For some reason I keep thinking it's not getting any gas flowing through, I rechecked and it's plugged up right from what I see. I'm running out of options. May just take it back off and have the dealer do it for an arm and leg.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 am

Before you take it to the dealer for a ream job, do as motokid suggested and try it with PIM removed and back as standard.......If still no go then double check all fuses - in case of a short when you plugged in the aftermarket module.

Another item that may be worth a quick check is the spark plug. You could inspect straight after cranking to see if there are any signs of fuel - either lack of it or possible over-fuel. If it was getting way too much fuel at the initial stage of run up, then it could be fouled. A good clean spark plug is absolutley critical on a small single 4stk - so if there is any doupt at all, then replace the plug.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 10:28 am

I will give that a try as well. I'm not even sure if a dealer would install the programmer since it's for "closed-course" use only. Would probably be some legal issues.
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Alright I took the programmer off, and took a look at the spark plug. Nothing was wrong with the spark plug, so I put everything back together and it started right up. I can't even think of what would be causing it to not start with the programmer. There is only one plug I'm unsure of what to do with and that's the one with a jumper wire. The instructions say nothing about what to do with it or what it's even for.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Jesus.....I just looked at installation instructions on those pim doohickies. Holy hell there's a ton of connections to be made.

I would triple check, and then double check again the myriad of things you have to disconnect and reconnect.

I'd bet you accidentally missed something, or perhaps even grabbed the wrong connector.

When I did my 12 o'clock labs speedo corrector, I found 2 quick connect wires by the battery that looked identical.

I grabbed the wrong one at first.  baldy 

I'd bet dollars to donuts you might have done the same.  dunno

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:15 pm

motokid wrote:
Jesus.....I just looked at installation instructions on those pim doohickies. Holy hell there's a ton of connections to be made.

I would triple check, and then double check again the myriad of things you have to disconnect and reconnect.

I'd bet you accidentally missed something, or perhaps even grabbed the wrong connector.

When I did my 12 o'clock labs speedo corrector, I found 2 quick connect wires by the battery that looked identical.

I grabbed the wrong one at first.  baldy 

I'd bet dollars to donuts you might have done the same.  dunno

I know right? It took me a minute to figure it out, but I know for sure I got all of them right besides one that I wasn't 100% sure. I'll snap a pic and upload it. I'm pretty sure it's the same one you are talking about.
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:26 pm

This is the plug I think you are talking about. Which is the only plug around the battery that would even fit the plug on the programmer harness.
Not starting/new programmer Pplug10

This is the jumper wire I was talking about:
Not starting/new programmer Jumper10
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Well a little update. I never could find out the issue and sent the programmer off to be tested by Yoshimura even though I didn't think that was the issue. Been riding the bike without a programmer and the only issue I'm running into is the heat coming off the header pipe. From what I've been reading this could mean the bike is running too lean? I have since discovered the CO adjustment and have been playing around with it, but haven't felt much of a difference. So here in the last few days I decided to hook the programmer back on the bike and still am experiencing the same issue with not wanting to start.

This may be a dumb question, but would removing the AIS possibly fix the issue?

This will be my last option to try before I take it to the dealership.

Any help is appreciated.

BTW the jumper wire pictured above functions as a map option. With the jumper wire in the map is programmed for the pipe with a spark arrestor.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 8:25 am

Williamsb27 wrote:
Yeah a bad map is kinda what I was thinking, but my friend ran the same thing and didn't have a problem. I'll try a different map and see what happens

You have a friend with the "same thing"????

Can you swap out your thingy for his thingy and see if your bike runs?
And see if his bike runs with yours?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 10:03 am

motokid wrote:
That just sounds "dirty"...  poser2
Back to top Go down
Williamsb27

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 10:22 am

motokid wrote:
Williamsb27 wrote:

You have a friend with the "same thing"????

And see if his bike runs with yours?

Lol. I'll give that a try as well. I want to see if an fmf or power commander would work too. I hear those are easier to program.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not starting/new programmer   Not starting/new programmer Empty

Back to top Go down

Not starting/new programmer
Page 1 of 1