Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wr250 X conversion to R

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Takis86

Wr250 X conversion to R Empty
PostSubject: Wr250 X conversion to R   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 7:25 am

I really could use some expert opinion.
Im about to buy a WR 250x 2009 with 45000km on it. And convert it to Enduro.
Whats your Opinon about my Plan?

My questions:
Is it true that after 45000 there should be a value adjustment/calibration?
How is the Spearpartsmarket, are there Parts to fix the Bike if necessary? I would like to keep it some years

Thanks

Last edited by Takis86 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: Welcome Takis   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 1:53 pm

Welcome to the forum Takis!

I'm responding to you because my WR "R" used to be an X before she left the dealers gate early 2011. If you have somebody around who can build wheels it is an easy job.
Re-use the hubs and break systems entirely, put on new rims of the correct size. The correct spoke kits can be purchased from places who sell OEM Yamaha parts. Once you are at it, you may want to replace the wheel bearings too. - Done.

Mine is on DID Dirt Star rims, but sure there are a few more options on the market.

Regarding valve clearance check - yes that is due at 40-42k km. The 2008 Manual, that can be found on the web (just google it) says 26600 mls or 42000 km. However, as far as I've read on the forum that manual is not the latest update. I had mine checked at 20k km, just since the shop was at it anyways for the 20 k km inspection. They gave me an update maintenance schedule print-out from their Yamaha Germany database. There, all these odd mileage numbers are changed to 10K multiples, hence valve clearance every 40000 km.

Regarding spare parts: yes the bike is extremely rare here in Europe - and no, I had no issues getting some parts. Additionally a lot of aftermarket stuff is available from the States, you just need to figure out how to ship it halfway cost effective. I have had the occasion that due to USD-EUR FX rate, parts available here in Europe, such as my Safari tank, came cheaper from the States, including shipping and customs. Not by much, but still. Though, this has changed a lot with Covid recently.

How is offroad in Greece? Lot's of bans as in entire Western Europe now? Or still some (legal) freedom left?

Cheers

Takis86 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Takis86

PostSubject: Re: Wr250 X conversion to R   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 2:39 pm

Thanks for the Help!

I just want to be able to do some Bad Road exploration, that way i did with my Serrow 225 and also have a good grip on street. Im not a fast Rider.

Do you think it's an option to make only the front Rim bigger, or is this a no go? you did booth?
Or do you think its a waist of money and that ist better to just put some suitable Tires (street and Bad stone Road)?

Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: re   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 6:19 pm

Yes, mine is on 21/18. For your scope, I'd first leave it like it is and then see how I like it. You can do the swap anytime later. On the road those SM wheels are certainly a huge advantage.
In my case I wanted an R and they had an X in the show room at a very reduced price, as nobody bought a SM bike with just 250 cc here in Germany, when you could have a Husky 630 i.e. for roughly the same money or a 690 SM for a few bucks more back in those days.
Back to top Go down
Takis86

PostSubject: Re: Wr250 X conversion to R   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 2:47 pm

I saw that the X and R have different suspensions.

What’s your experience with the Suspensions by endure riding after concerting your X to R. Or did you change suspension to?

I did some Bad road riding today, I think I’m going to change tires to 21/18 to.
Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: Re: Wr250 X conversion to R   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 3:55 pm

Takis, there is no difference in the Suspension. At least none that affects suspension. The X fork has different mounting points for the SM brake and is painted black. The rear on the X has 265 mm travel over 270 mm on the R. On paper. On the actual shock there is a length adjustment on the bottom end. Search it on the forum. There the screw is turned a bit more in or out depending on the model. Nothing of significance. Will remove my shock over the course of this week anyways. I get you some pics to show you what I mean once I am there.

Takis86 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Vulture

Vulture

PostSubject: Re: Wr250 X conversion to R   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptySun Feb 06, 2022 12:53 pm

Thats how the adjustment part of the shock looks once taken off:
Wr250 X conversion to R Img_2136

The bottom fork for fixing is made up to the rod and fixed with the jam nut on top of it. In order to get this hole assembly broken and unscrewed you need to hold the rod on the part with the flat sides above the rebound adjuster:
Wr250 X conversion to R Img_2137

Unscrew the jam nut upwards/away from the fork part.
Wr250 X conversion to R Img_2138

Then you can unscrew the fork thing and position it as needed to adjust the total length of the shock.
Wr250 X conversion to R Img_2139
Back to top Go down
Takis86

PostSubject: Re: Wr250 X conversion to R   Wr250 X conversion to R EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 3:23 am

Thank you Vulture

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wr250 X conversion to R   Wr250 X conversion to R Empty

Back to top Go down

Wr250 X conversion to R
Page 1 of 1