Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First flat

Go down 
+5
ed29
SheWolf
Krabill
turboedmsp
bigbeariuka
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbeariuka

First flat Empty
PostSubject: First flat   First flat EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm just about complete with my new bike rebuild after my wife's accident and then today, a little flat. I'm very new to all the bike stuff so here is a question. Does these tires have tubes and if not would you install tube after flat?? Also, I now have a front fender bag with no tools. What all do I need to carry for flat fixes on the trail and what tube should I buy. Does everyone carry extras tubes, air can and what else. My bike now have 32 miles on it and I'm having nothing but bad luck. At least I'm learning to work on it often. HELP
Back to top Go down
turboedmsp

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 9:12 pm

these bikes have tubes. at the least carry a good patch kit. the front and rear tires use different size tube. You can carry both or just carry a front tube cause a front tube can be crammed in the rear tire but a rear tube will not fit up front. check out some youtube videos on motorcycle tube repair or replacement. I would carry at least two tire spoons and a small spray bottle of soap/water mix, gloves to repair, and a small battery air compressor. If you ever have a flat try to air tire first and check for leak...a slow leak could get you where you need to go and a better place to repair.
First flat Slime_box
Back to top Go down
Krabill

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 pm

I carry a front tube, a rear tube, a patch kit, tire irons, a bicycle tire pump, and enough tools to pretty much completely tear down my bike at all times.

Flats suck, but eh, whatareyagonnado? First flat 29721
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 pm

+10 on that. Better to come prepared than have nothing. I also carry spare valve cores in a baggie too cause they do fail...just went thru that. First flat 911463

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:04 am

Yup on that one too. I also carry two spare valve cores, two spare master links, a stick of epoxy putty, a short piece of water hose (for the lower, unprotected hose), and some duct tape.

I think that's about it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 am

What do you use the epoxy for?

ed29

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:38 am

SheWolf wrote:

It is for repairing a cracked case or cover after a hard fall in rocks. It will keep your oil in your engine until a permanent fix is done.

Been there, would have been a long walk/push without it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 am

I wonder if JB Weld would work in that instance too. First flat 29721

ed29

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am

It would, both are two part epoxy. The paste stuff travels better than the liquid though. The J-B makes a mess in the storage space when one of the little tubes gets punctured by the other contents. I carry the paste in a small metal can so it is protected from the other tools. I suppose the J-B could go in one too.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:30 pm

bigbeariuka wrote:
I'm just about complete with my new bike rebuild after my wife's accident and then today, a little flat. I'm very new to all the bike stuff so here is a question. Does these tires have tubes and if not would you install tube after flat?? Also, I now have a front fender bag with no tools. What all do I need to carry for flat fixes on the trail and what tube should I buy. Does everyone carry extras tubes, air can and what else. My bike now have 32 miles on it and I'm having nothing but bad luck. At least I'm learning to work on it often. HELP

Yes tires have tubes. I like the idea of buying HD tubes and changing out the light duty tubes in the stock tires. Then carry around the light duty tubes as spares. (personally i only carry a front tube. This can be installed on front or rear in a pinch for emergencies).

*i don't have a bicycle pump yet. baldy baldy
Back to top Go down
Hetch

Hetch

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 7:21 pm

What is a good pump for after a tire change on the trail?
Small for my kit of tools on the road...
Back to top Go down
turboedmsp

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 pm

the one i posted above with the picture is what i have used and it works!!!. I have heard of people removing the plastic hard case and just using the insides as the the pump will be a smaller package.

When changing a tube I have had to deflate and inflate numerous times to get the bead to seat properly. I did not have enough soap/water solution with me and I think that was my problem. With this pump mentioned you can deflate and inflate without wasting those co2 cartridges.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 am

SheWolf wrote:
I wonder if JB Weld would work in that instance too. First flat 29721

Not if you've got a big hole. JB Weld flows like a liquid and would be a royal pita to fill a hole in the side of your case with. The epoxy stick is like putty and you can form it to any shape you need.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 am

Yeah, a picture window would be hard to fill with JB weld. I've got a tube of epoxy I can shove into my tailbag. Thanks Krabill! First flat 61865

SpiritWolf15

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 1:39 pm

SheWolf wrote:

EVERYTHING First flat 810411
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 2:33 pm

I've filled a picture window with JB weld. ...on a radiator none-the-less.

...but I had an Al can with which to cover the hole, interface bond the can to the AL/Mg casing (the hole was on the bottom/flat portion of the radiator) and then fillet the edges.

Amazingly ( and luckily because I was WAY out there) it held under thermal extremes, pressure loading as well as handled the CTE deltas. Today's beer cans may not work. First flat 500735

Although I have a 12V access point, I prefer a two-stage (pumps both ways) bicycle hand-pump. It easily fits in the fender bag.

P.S. Don't forget your replacement clutch lever and fuses !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First flat Empty
PostSubject: Re: First flat   First flat Empty

Back to top Go down

First flat
Page 1 of 1