Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias

Go down 
+14
WR250PDX
motocrossmann
deerHater
zestymac
josh
Ushuaia Or Bust
mordicai
Yaozer
john92
xcel
X-Racer
WRoldman
Chrispy1200
motokid
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 pm

http://www.avontyres.com/motorcycle/distanzia-supermoto <-- clicky Avon's web site

Quote :
Distanzia AM43 supermoto (front) 120/70R17 SM - min/max rim size: 3.00 - 3.75

Don't see what the problem is. scratch dunno

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Motokid,

The following is pulled directly from Avon Tires North American website. Clearly shows here that the min width is 3.50.

Distanzia Front
Material # AV Model Tire Size Service Index Rec Rim Rim Min-Max OW mm OW Inches OD mm OD Inches Depth mm Revs per km Revs per Mile Shop Now!

90000001216 AM43 120/70R17 * 58H MT3.50 3.50 - 3.75 121 4.8 603 23.7 5.2 553 884.8 S

Here is the link.
http://www.avonmoto.com/products/adventure-sport/distanzia

I have no problem with others running these and having a great experience with them and I am hoping to go ahead with these also. I am just trying to do some homework and verify why these are ok to run. Where did you pull your data from that shows the 3.00 as OK?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 pm

OK I see. Two different statements by Avon.

The site you pulled is the Avon Tyres where I pulled my info from AVONmoto which is their North American website.

Looks like they just provided conflicting info. I am glad though, now I can proceed!

Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 11:12 am

I know I will get blasted for this but.....

I contacted AVON U.S.A. Tires and asked about the front 120/70R-17 Distanzia fitting on a 3.00 rim.  The answer they came back with is the min. width for this tire is the 3.50 rim, just like their website says.  (www.avonmoto.com)

I then contacted AVON UK TYRES (www.avon-tyres.co.uk)  where posted earlier in this thread that the UK site showed the 3.00 rim as being the minimum.  They have informed me this morning that their website states an incorrect min. width and that it should be 3.50.

I know that many (many) are completely happy with this tire on the WR250X and says it fits great.  I do not disagree.  I have also found where several have pointed out that the larger and heavier tire can decrease both fuel mileage and straight line performance.  I then contacted two retired professional racers including one that was a GM for a large Sacramento dealership and they both said the exact same thing, almost verbatim.  You can "do it" but when you are talking about a "massive" 25-30hp motorcycle, you are better staying with the OEM size tire for handling, performance and fuel economy.

With all that crap said, the Distanzia is my "Favorite" tire and I have run them on another bike.  However for my little 250, I think I will go with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso in the stock OEM sizes.  I really do not like the BT-090 stock tires as two tires are gone with as little as 2500 miles on each.  Hopefully the Pirelli's will do better but maybe not.

The next step would be to change the rims so as for more tire choices. That will have to wait.

Let me grab my kevlar vest now....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 12:07 pm

No blasting - just a picture:

I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 Dscn1110

If a tire manufacturer is going to say their own website is wrong regarding the "recommended" rim size, then shame on them. I'm guessing they're in "liability" "better cover our ass" mode when they state that kind of shit. topes 

Bottom line is simple - if you want a Distanzia on your wr250 X/R, you can get one that not only fits, but it works damn well.

If you don't want a Distanzia, more power to ya, there's plenty of other choices for tires out there.

Be sure to post pictures and a review of any tire you decide to buy. thumb 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 12:14 pm

The only reason I switched from Distanzia's to BT003RS's is the weight. I would run the Distanzia's on the street again no problem but on the motard track, you do notice the extra weight.
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 pm

looks like the Distanzia in your picture was made for the bike.

The only other tire besides the Bridgestones (BT003 or 090) I see that is exact OEM size and type is the Pirelli. That is based on a Radial and not the BIAS tires.

Thanks again for your help and info.
Back to top Go down
stevo88

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 pm

i just put new shoes on the X last week.  i had it down to either bt003s, distanzias, or pirelli diablo rosso II's but i went with the distanzias. mounted them with a few buddies last week and they feel great. few hundred km's on them and i'm very pleased with the decision

I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 Xgey
Back to top Go down
250riders

250riders

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Hey Stevo,

Let us know what you think about the Avon's. I would love to hear if you think there is any difference in straightline performance. Tires look great on the bike. What exhaust do you have?

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 5:29 am

Go here please.

I weighed the used Distanzia and it was about equal in weight to the new BT003rs.

I guarantee you won't notice any straight-line performance changes with the Distanzia over any other tire at all.

You might give up a little grip in the corners on paved roads over some sticky sportbike tire options....but if straight-line is your concern .......... scratch 

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 6:31 am

IMO, the distanzia's own the bt-003's in every aspect.
I hated the bt-003's, couldn't wait to go back.
Maybe I should have went with the 150 over the 140, but I doubt It would have been much better.
Probably wouldn't have run out of tire before full lean though.
Back to top Go down
stevo88

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 pm

250riders wrote:
Hey Stevo,

Let us know what you think about the Avon's.  I would love to hear if you think there is any difference in straightline performance.  Tires look great on the bike.  What exhaust do you have?

Will do man, let me know how you like those Pirelli's. I was looking real hard at the Pirelli diablo rosso II's and nearly bought them. Quite a bit cheaper then the bt-0003rs or distanzias.

The dual exhaust was done custom by the previous owner. It's from a crf250. Not all that loud at idle and low rpm's but once the throttle is opened up it gets loud.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 12:45 pm

f3joel wrote:
IMO, the distanzia's own the bt-003's in every aspect.
I hated the bt-003's, couldn't wait to go back.
Maybe I should have went with the 150 over the 140, but I doubt It would have been much better.
Probably wouldn't have run out of tire before full lean though.

I went to a 150 after reading about some people running off the edge and the 150 seems just about perfect. Pegs drag pretty hard before the tire goes too close to running off the edge.

I found the Distanzia's got a little greasy when hot at the track but never a problem on the street.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 pm

The problem I had with the Distanzias was that the 140/17 had very poor life. I found it wear fast. If I remember right it was about 2200 miles. In comparison I replaced my Heidenau K60 Scout 140/90/17 today with about a good 1,000 miles left on it. It has been a fabulous tire on freeway, twisty 2 lane and dirt for the past 10,000 miles!!! I have run it with my left over Distanzia front tire which has about 12,00 miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias   I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

I Love the UPS guy!!! Distanzias
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4