Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)

Go down 
+14
mordicai
grw800
Arkmage
JayTee
Akasy
mnormand
gatorfan
Berwyn Henderson
wjfawb0
SpiritWolf15
SheWolf
greer
X-Racer
GsVs
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
grw800

grw800

Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:14 pm

The AMS site doesn't actually list the dimensions, but the pics show a tape measure next to the racks. I have the big rack, and overall dimensions are 13" long X 12" wide.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:31 pm

grw800 wrote:
The AMS site doesn't actually list the dimensions, but the pics show a tape measure next to the racks. I have the big rack, and overall dimensions are 13" long X 12" wide.

I remember seeing this a while back, but I can't find them anywhere on their current page. I'm not trying to be a douche by asking questions I could have found answers to on the vendor's page. I seriously couldn't find that info on their page. They only have tape measure to show length (which appears to be the same on all 3) but nothing on width or the particular rack I asked about.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Great rack, but the spacers?

First off, I love this rack. It is one beautiful hunk of CNC metal. But WTF on the mounting spacers? They are way too long IMHO, and worse yet, they are of different lengths. There has been talk about the strength of the subframe supporting this rack. I’m confident that the subframe can take a reasonable load. What I would worry about more is the fact that the rack is mounted with 4 spindly little 6mm bolts. So why make them any longer than absolutely necessary? And to my main point: the 4 mounting points on the subframe bracket are all in the same plane, so the spacers MUST be the same length to make the rack parallel to the bracket and thus be mounted as rigidly as possible.

Here’s a pic with the rack on the bike with the longer supplied spacers in front. You can see daylight between the rear spacers and the rack. If the rack were tightened down this way it would put a bending stress on all 4 bolts and the rack would not be bearing evenly on the spacers.

Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 00410

What’s that, you say I have the spacers reversed? OK, here it is with the longer spacers in back. Now you have daylight between the front spacers and the rack. Same problem.
Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 00810

Here’s the rack with 4 new 1.5 in. spacers. It sits much closer to the subframe, and the four bolts are pulling straight and evenly on the spacers.

Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 01110

The spacers I used are aluminum pieces from McMaster-Carr, P/N 92510A789. Good wall thickness which also adds to the strength of the assembly.

Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 Spacer10

Last edited by grw800 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 11:04 pm

The stock spacers worked fine for me. I wanted some space to be able to bolt the Rotopax on/off.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Don't know what your doing but the spacers work perfect for me. Everything went together and the fit up was great. Get a friend to help you. The space between the rack and the fender in so tight I have to bend the fender down to get my strap buckles through. Can't imagine them being any shorter. Don't care for the way you have changed it. My rack fits parrellel to the fender. I prefer it that way.
Back to top Go down
grw800

grw800

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 2:53 pm

mordicai wrote:
Get a friend to help you.

You mean a friend who doesn't care if my rack is mounted the right way? Or perhaps one who doesn't know basic geometry?
No thanks, my rack is mounted just the way I want it.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Sorry GRW thought you were asking for help. Good luck with you rack.
Back to top Go down
rmax

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:49 pm

I cut down the spacers a bit. I cut the rear spacers ½” and the front ¼” for a closer fit.

Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 2011-03-26214300
Back to top Go down
Graham

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for posting information about this rack.

The Givi mounting kit hasn't had a vendor mentioned. Neither the rack supplier nor the McMaster group supplies these parts as a kit. Where can a rider purchase that kit?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
GsVs

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:51 am

Call www.happy-trail.com ..... they carry the Givi Lug Kit

Graham wrote:
Thanks for posting information about this rack.

The Givi mounting kit hasn't had a vendor mentioned. Neither the rack supplier nor the McMaster group supplies these parts as a kit. Where can a rider purchase that kit?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
bradrh

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Now that you all have had some time with these, how are you liking them? I'm considering the medium or the large one. The large one looks pretty handy, but maybe too big? We'll use it for ultra light camping.
Do you think these are lighter, or about the same as the turbo city Borrego rack?
Back to top Go down
Blackdog

Blackdog

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 3:05 am

GRW, your right. It's a very nice rack but the spacers are pure crap. Also AMS, supply the damn screws! If you live in a small town like me you will never find a place to source the screws. This would be a great rack if they got a grip on the hardware.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 8:07 am

Blackdog wrote:
GRW, your right. It's a very nice rack but the spacers are pure crap. Also AMS, supply the damn screws! If you live in a small town like me you will never find a place to source the screws. This would be a great rack if they got a grip on the hardware.

What's the problem with the spacers ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)   Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Another WR250R Rear Rack (Designed with options)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2