Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wheelie Questions?

Go down 
+27
0007onWR
trav72
no.17
cryptomundo
Stubbz
motokid
Sproat Sport
motodorko
rvb
Mr.Metal
mr_mike
Crazy Monkey
RichardU
Mikechicago
Midnite171
jason meacham
gregli
12oclocker
WRoldman
X-Racer
SheWolf
Tammy
YZEtc
BillDoe
Matty
f3joel
NorgeWR2X
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
12oclocker

12oclocker

Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 8:07 pm

NorgeWR2X wrote:
so i can finally clutch it up now but still have trouble using the throttle and rear brake to carry it toward longer. so this one time i clutched it from almost a stand still. it came up fast and high but why did my legs suddenly swing back? my feet were not on the pegs anymore. it's like an involuntary action that i had no control over. my legs just moved back by themselves. luckily i chopped the throttle so i didn't flip over. what's a good technique to make sure my legs are more stable? squeeze the tank with my legs? thanks.
It's a fear factor, you must overcome the fear of flipping over, it's a natural instinct for your body to panic when your orientation rotates, your brain feels the tilt backwards and starts to panic. In order to ride a wheelie for miles, or slow a wheelie down, you must go past balance point, to the point where you are falling backwards, at that point you use the back brake to keep from completely flipping over. Going past balance point will slow you down, going just under it will increase your speed, when going down a hill, you have to throw the bike past balance point and ride the brake to keep the same speed. It’s good to practice on something like a quad, where you can concentrate on only forward/backward. Once you overcome the fear of flipping over, and your brain get’s used to the feeling of falling backwards, you will progress significantly quicker.

Quote :
so i have no problem with replacing the clutch plates sooner. wheelies are so much fun. just wondering though, as a ballpark figure, how much sooner will the clutch plates be shot? i'm at 1000 miles right now. thanks.
p.s. - when i clutch it up and pop it fast so i don't ride it.

Once you learn to clutch it up properly, you won't be replacing them any sooner than you usually do.
Back to top Go down
gregli

gregli

PostSubject: 12   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 25, 2010 9:36 pm

I did the 12t and 45, the bike runs nice now, i'm thinking about removing the air parts next,
clutch it in first goes up nice, tried cutching in 2 sometimes it works, however I run out of rpms quick and then I drop like ton of bricks hehehe, do you launch from 1 or 2? so today decided to make 12 bar, my buddies came over we stood the bike up and it looks like the bar has to stick out at least 7 inched from the fender. I'm going to screw it right in to the back under the fender??.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 26, 2010 7:50 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I've noticed I don't bounce near as good as I used to.... Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 724854

You should know much better than to leave this one lying about with me around. * dirty lil snicker *
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Baited...hook, line and stinker. Took you long enuf. Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 851577

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:21 am

Matty wrote:
Tammy wrote:
Matty wrote:
Tammy wrote:
"I grew up a lil over the last few years, lol."

Just a lil? poser2

Hahahaha... Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 379944

Turn back and run growing up suck more then getting old does..

After a long day of riding, with all the extra hardware in my body (titanium rod in femur and hip, screws in shoulder and ankle). Even at almost 31, i'm hurting the next day. ya getting old and growing up does suck! Hey Matty,,did you collect all that titanium in one accident?? did you have a full hip replacement?? I like to hear about guys who still ride off road even when they have been hurt but refuse to grow up,,Doug Henry is a great example,,I had both hips replaced about a year and a half ago at 37 years old,,it wasn't from an accident, but arthritis,I've got it in my knees and ankles,,I refuse to grow up and slow down,,I bought my Wrr a month before my operation and put on 1000 miles,,I'm at 6500 miles now and going strong.. Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 942737
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:16 am

SheWolf wrote:
I've noticed I don't bounce near as good as I used to.... Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 724854

Maybe you just need to adjust your suspension?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:46 am

Suspension on the bike is A-1....me, well...bumper cushions only go so far. Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 9:33 am

Matty wrote:
Tammy wrote:
Matty wrote:
Tammy wrote:
"I grew up a lil over the last few years, lol."

Just a lil? poser2

Hahahaha... Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 379944

Turn back and run growing up suck more then getting old does..

After a long day of riding, with all the extra hardware in my body (titanium rod in femur and hip, screws in shoulder and ankle). Even at almost 31, i'm hurting the next day. ya getting old and growing up does suck!

jason meacham wrote:
Hey Matty,,did you collect all that titanium in one accident?? did you have a full hip replacement?? I like to hear about guys who still ride off road even when they have been hurt but refuse to grow up,,Doug Henry is a great example,,I had both hips replaced about a year and a half ago at 37 years old,,it wasn't from an accident, but arthritis,I've got it in my knees and ankles,,I refuse to grow up and slow down,,I bought my Wrr a month before my operation and put on 1000 miles,,I'm at 6500 miles now and going strong.. Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 942737

Nope they were from 3 different accidents.

My ankle has screws in it from comming up short on a 55 foot double back during my MX days, i wanna say about 13 years ago. i think i was 17.

I needed to have reconstructive surgery on my shoulder about 11 years ago. I tore my rotator cuff, part of my bicep, and some of my tricep back in college, when i used to be a competitive swimmer. Kinda lame story. Warming up before an event I somehow over extended my shoulder and sub-located it. Within the course of 6 months i had sublocated my shoulder 5 times. My doctor recommened getting surgery. 3 months in a sling all healed. No more competitive swimming though.

My Femor and Hip were from an accident almost 3 years ago. Long story short. I was attacked by a Honda F4i at the race track. Result. Compound fracture and over 10 hairline fractures to the femur. Broken femural head and hip.

As for still riding and not growing up. Read my signature. i still own and ride all those bikes. ya, i get a lil sore after a long day of riding. but that's what hot tubs are for. my orthopedic surgeon says that i'll probably have hip replacement surgery at some point.

Untill then i've learned to enjoy the smell of icey-hot.

I like to make jokes that when i'm all old and shit, my two best friends will be BenGay and Arthur-itis!!!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 10:42 am

I was preoccupied with this lil thing called "Work". I'm up to speed now. Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 810411

SheWolf wrote:
Suspension on the bike is A-1....me, well...bumper cushions only go so far. Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Gravity sucks... Adjustment is definitely required. Inversion tactics.

You'll be just like 'Tigger" in no time. Bouncy-trouncy-bouncy-trouncy, fun, fun fun, fun, fun !
~ smirk ~

Sorry... What was the subject again ?

Edit: My conclusion; Some people are just not "Wheelie" people.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 5:59 pm

X-Racer wrote:

Edit: My conclusion; Some people are just not "Wheelie" people.

Hahahaha... i've met quite a lot of those people.
Back to top Go down
gregli

gregli

PostSubject: I'm so Happy   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:15 pm

after two weeks, I'm so happy Today, I was doing wheelies in 1 and running out of rpms, and today, I finally got it up in second and did half a block, Before i was dropping the clutch to quick, now I slip it in at the same time snap the throthle and WOW UP, it the greatest feeling in the world, now I have to either try to stay in the speed without dropping it, or shift in to 3rd.

12t,45t, edge no other mods. I was thinking next to stand on the passenger pegs?

Thanks guys,

My experience so far before wr250x
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 28, 2010 11:04 pm

gregli wrote:
I did the 12t and 45, the bike runs nice now, i'm thinking about removing the air parts next,
clutch it in first goes up nice, tried cutching in 2 sometimes it works, however I run out of rpms quick and then I drop like ton of bricks hehehe, do you launch from 1 or 2? so today decided to make 12 bar, my buddies came over we stood the bike up and it looks like the bar has to stick out at least 7 inched from the fender. I'm going to screw it right in to the back under the fender??.
Depends on what I'm doing, parking lot stunts always first gear, street wheelies 2nd or 3rd gear. Ryan at 50stunt.com working on getting the first production run of 12bar's done, I would wait on those, it will look pro, and be easy to install, he's a pro at designing bike parts.

Quote :
after two weeks, I'm so happy Today, I was doing wheelies in 1 and running out of rpms, and today, I finally got it up in second and did half a block, Before i was dropping the clutch to quick, now I slip it in at the same time snap the throthle and WOW UP, it the greatest feeling in the world, now I have to either try to stay in the speed without dropping it, or shift in to 3rd.
12t,45t, edge no other mods. I was thinking next to stand on the passenger pegs?
Speeding up quickly to throw the bike past balance point then riding the brake will slow it down. I wouldn't put both feet on the pegs, always have your right foot over the footbrake (and pratice using it in a wheelie to bring them down). If you have a handbrake setup you don't need to cover the brake.
Back to top Go down
gregli

gregli

PostSubject: trying   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptySun May 30, 2010 11:16 pm

HELP , I did this all day long and couldn't go farther HELP
this was 2 gear,

n

Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 31, 2010 12:45 am

you were moving too slow to clutch that up in 2nd, if that loud noise was the clutch, you may be damaging the clutch basket doing that, at that speed you should be clutching it in first. work on smoothly clutching up 1st gear, once you can ride first gear across a parking lot no problem, then work on 2nd gear. If you keep winding out of 1st gear, you not getting it high enough, quickly enough. Once you can ride 1st gear out for a while, practice using the rear brake to bring wheelies down, while holding a consistent throttle. this will get you used to using the rear brake.
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 am

12oclocker wrote:
you were moving too slow to clutch that up in 2nd, if that loud noise was the clutch, you may be damaging the clutch basket doing that,

what sound? do u mean that "click" sound just when his front wheel came up? what can we do to eliminate that sound? just clutch up in 1st? thnx man
Back to top Go down
12oclocker

12oclocker

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 5:32 pm

yeah clutch in first and work on slipping the clutch in/out quicker while snapping the throttle at the same time Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 9:33 pm

That "Click!" was probably the chain skipping a sprocket tooth from suddenly snapping the clutch lever out.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 10:42 pm

I hear that same click when i try em. I thought it was my chain jerkin tight. Either way i bet that "click" is a bad noise huh? Any one know for sure the cause???

I'm at the wheelie point of getting high up, than hitin the brake/ pullin the clutch out of fear. I figured just keep at em.
Back to top Go down
RichardU

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 pm

I went to an Ironman rear sprocket. No more clicks (skips).
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Finally Tiped over backward   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:06 pm

So it happened. I got greedy lookin fo the balence, and ended up takin the bike for a 12 O'clock walk. Lucky it was a slow 1st gear wheelie and all that was damaged was my stock tailight (already had the replacement waiting to install) and my right foot peg is bent to hell! Its still ridable, but a lil annoying. I cant seem to find that "Balancing Point". Am I doing something wrong? Is there a point or its it all in the throttle?? Back Brake??? Anything will help!
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Mikechicago wrote:
So it happened. I got greedy lookin fo the balence, and ended up takin the bike for a 12 O'clock walk. Lucky it was a slow 1st gear wheelie and all that was damaged was my stock tailight (already had the replacement waiting to install) and my right foot peg is bent to hell! Its still ridable, but a lil annoying. I cant seem to find that "Balancing Point". Am I doing something wrong? Is there a point or its it all in the throttle?? Back Brake??? Anything will help!

maybe its a little safer to do it on a bicycle first.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm fine with the bicycle, but the WR is a whole new beast.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Kinda makes riding a bike a whole new concept. Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 93746

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Without seeing what happened no one will be able to tell you what went wrong.
You are not just trying to get the bike to a magical balance point.
You get the bike up and keep it balanced with subtle gas, brake , weight distribution changes depending on what is going on.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 pm

f3joel wrote:

You get the bike up and keep it balanced with subtle gas, brake , weight distribution changes depending on what is going on.

Thanks. So just keep practising than huh. Good to know. I have been starting to get the whole stayin up with feathering the gas. It was a good reality check in my book. I've been skateboarding for about 14 years, and that taught me, Falling Is Learning. I just have to remember that falling on a motorcycle CAN KILL you. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheelie Questions?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next