Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Wheelie Questions?

Go down 
+27
0007onWR
trav72
no.17
cryptomundo
Stubbz
motokid
Sproat Sport
motodorko
rvb
Mr.Metal
mr_mike
Crazy Monkey
RichardU
Mikechicago
Midnite171
jason meacham
gregli
12oclocker
WRoldman
X-Racer
SheWolf
Tammy
YZEtc
BillDoe
Matty
f3joel
NorgeWR2X
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Midnite171

Midnite171

Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:06 pm

I always needed the clutch until I got my FMF Powerbomb, Q4 and Power Programmer. Now I can lift the front end in 1st and 2nd with just a little bit of effort, but no clutch.
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:35 am

when you gear it down the gears become to short to really stay in a power wheelie, use the clutch its what its there for, so much easier and you can get it higher faster so you can carry it at or near balance point instead of screaming out to rev limit in a matter of 2 seconds.
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Sproat Sport wrote:
2 questions:

1) Who out there can actually pull a power wheelie (no clutch use) with their WR?

2) What mods/setup do you have that you feel contribute to this?

I'm interested in power wheelies because it's kind of a representation of the bike's power and snappiness. I'd like my WRR to BE ABLE to pull wheelies without the use of the clutch. I'm not really looking to practice them or even to do them much other than a little for bringing the front tire over obstacles when off-roading. I know this bike is not really a power monster, but with the mods I've done already (airbox/flapper, FMF programmer) it's improving. I keep my suspension pretty soft (as per ChadX's specs) for off-roading so I realize this soaks up some of the snap. Nevertheless....

I test rode a 2010 KTM 530 last fall (kinda wish I hadn't), and I had to fight it to keep the front tire down. Pretty wild. I know that's not what this bike is at all, but I just want it to run at it's full snappiest potential....whatever that may be.

Since I dont wheelie that often, I can probably count on my toes and fingers how many I have done. I play around every once in a while when Im out and nothing in my way .. I think the best wheelie I have ever done was when I did not mean to do one. I had just changed the stock gearing on my R from 13/43 to 13/48, I took off like a bat out of hell from my brothers house ... next thing I knew I was riding a wheelie down the street. The first thing that popped in my head was I should try to make it look like I meant to do this, and then second, I should let off the gas a little. I have to say, the landing was just as great as the wheelie itself, you know how it feels when your coming in for a landing in a passenger jet plane and your waiting for the plane to hit the runway, waiting for big first bump and jolt as the planes wheels touch the runway, and then it never happens .. the plane just rolls onto the runway and glides to a stop (does not happen often enough) .. you just say to yourself, well, that was a great landing .. well, thats what happened when my front tire hit the ground, I glided down to the end of the rode and made a left turn. That was a power wheelie and it was effortless. I just wish I could do it again, it was great fun. I have it on my list of things to do to try and figure out how to do it on purpose, and ride it out a little while with some control.
Back to top Go down
no.17

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySun May 08, 2011 3:59 am

Hello Im new to the forum and wanted to share what I have found the wr250x to be capable as far as wheelies go. I have owned other dirt bikes and streetbikes in the pasts. When I ride a lot of it includes wheelie riding. Now keep in mind my bike is in 100% stock form(short of renthal bars). When I first got my bike I was very disappointed in the wheelie department. I had trouble in any gear getting it up and couldn't ride it out for very long. Now after a couple seasons of riding and 5000 more miles on my bike I love wheeling it. I have been able to wheelie my wrx speeds ranging 1mph to 80+mph. although I mainly use the clutch to wheelie, I have no problem not using it to wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear. On side streets or slow highways I usually pull it up in 2nd. faster hiway and freeway I pull it up in 3rd or 4th then shift to 5th if nessesary . One time I pulled it up in 5th just to say i could do it.(stading on the seat). I have been trying to do circle wheelies but I think with the stock gearing it like to die. The wrx is a very versitle wheelie bike and wheelies great. Coaster wheelies are some of my favorite wheelies to do on this bike. It is an awsome feeling to ride a 70mph wheelie out glyding along with the throttle completly shut Very happy
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySun May 08, 2011 8:22 am

Here's my review for all potential X owners.

I had nothing but spotbikes for 20 years. I roadraced an FZR400 with WERA and with AMA/CCS. Then, I sold the 400 to get an R1.

THEN

most recently I sold the R1, a 1000cc superbike of a sportbike to get a wr250x.

BEST DAMN THING I EVER DID.

I have NEVER had so much fun consistently on any motorcycle I've ever owned. Period.

That's me review.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySun May 08, 2011 8:33 am

motokid wrote:

I have NEVER had so much fun consistently on any motorcycle I've ever owned. Period.

I concur. thumb
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySun May 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I only really miss one bike, I think of her often and wish I had her back
Funnest bike I ever had was an 89 TDR 250, bumble bee black and yellow
They were fast and a complete blast to ride, without a doubt the first Motard bike ever made
Back to top Go down
no.17

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySun May 08, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm sorry but I thought we were talking about wheelies here...
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm

no.17 wrote:
Hello Im new to the forum and wanted to share what I have found the wr250x to be capable as far as wheelies go. I have owned other dirt bikes and streetbikes in the pasts. When I ride a lot of it includes wheelie riding. Now keep in mind my bike is in 100% stock form(short of renthal bars). When I first got my bike I was very disappointed in the wheelie department. I had trouble in any gear getting it up and couldn't ride it out for very long. Now after a couple seasons of riding and 5000 more miles on my bike I love wheeling it. I have been able to wheelie my wrx speeds ranging 1mph to 80+mph. although I mainly use the clutch to wheelie, I have no problem not using it to wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear. On side streets or slow highways I usually pull it up in 2nd. faster hiway and freeway I pull it up in 3rd or 4th then shift to 5th if nessesary . One time I pulled it up in 5th just to say i could do it.(stading on the seat). I have been trying to do circle wheelies but I think with the stock gearing it like to die. The wrx is a very versitle wheelie bike and wheelies great. Coaster wheelies are some of my favorite wheelies to do on this bike. It is an awsome feeling to ride a 70mph wheelie out glyding along with the throttle completly shut Very happy

its all in learning how to ride this particular bike, gotta keep it at bp or it will fall out and not have enough power to pull back up. i felt the same way 2 months ago when i first bought mine but now i can hold it and do combos in any gear without falling out of bp. i gotta agree with ya coasters are an absolute blast on these bikes but never seen anyone do anything close to 70mph coasters. sure it could be done get some video of that shit and post it up. i do mine in 2nd or 3rd and hold them to a complete stop. got a 300 ft long rev limiter sitdown the other day during our stunt show, rev limits are scary cuz i always tend to slip the clutch out when i start to fall out of the coaster from hittin the brake to much and damn near wrecked one the other day. harder but just as fun to do them in spreaders or highchairs also.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:11 pm

no.17 wrote:
I'm sorry but I thought we were talking about wheelies here...

I'm thinking some thread merging was going on by the Admin's and a few posts got inserted here by mistake.

I know my post above was originally in a completely unrelated thread to wheelies.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 4:45 pm

:hmmm: That wasn't me...

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:47 am

so im trying to learn how to wheelie.

i can clutch up 1st, but its almost terrifying how fast it comes up sometimes.

and i cant for the life of me get it to come up more than a couple inches in 2nd.

only mod is 13/48 gearing.

i live in denver, so I am naively hoping that it just does not have the power to come up in 2nd, sadly it is probably just rider skill level limiting it from happening.

oh well more seat time, or maybe less, i have been blowing thing off left and right just to go ride, im hooked!

anyone at altitude able to clutch up 2nd stock?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:59 am

This should make you feel better dude.. Very happy

click me - click link first post

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:18 pm

motokid wrote:
This should make you feel better dude.. Very happy

click me - click link first post

dammit
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:45 pm

I know right...

I suck

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:26 pm

motokid wrote:

I suck

Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 Worthless

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 3:16 pm

SheWolf wrote:
motokid wrote:

I suck

Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 Worthless

I have provided you with enough pictures young lady.....and that's something my precious wife would NEVER allow. dddog

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:11 pm

poser2 Hey can't blame a girl for trying. Very happy Considering your pic, you're no slouch. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:19 pm

well im getting 1st down quite well, but 2nd more than 6 inches i still think is impossible.

for anyone wanting to learn how to wheelie............. dont................ once you can its hard not to.

the lot i practice in kind of has a back alley dirt path leading to it. so i jumped on that last night popped off the curb into the lot. stop, pop it up in first, go like 10 feet cause i still suck, bring it down and turn left into the big part of the lot and there is a fucking cop sitting right there watching me.

I froze, looked right at him like, "son of a bitch", he just looked at me for a couple seconds and looked right back down at what ever it was he was doing before i showed up. yikes
Back to top Go down
dblock

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am

YZEtc wrote:
Next question:
Why does it hurt when I pee? :)
LMAO.!!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 12:39 pm

He was squeezing it too hard. Very happy

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Plus drinking too much soda and coffee. ;)
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 pm

anyone with 13/48 and no speedo healer that can clutch up second.

could you let me know about what speed you slip in and about how much juice you give it?

sorry for the retarded question, but I am starting to really get frustrated with 2nd gear.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:28 pm

I think I was gettin it with a stock bike last year. Try a little throttle and add more till you succeed thumb But man after putting on the pipe, programmer and rippin off all the emmissions stuff, the bike becomes ALOT easier and smoother to wheelie. Someone said on here before, the stock bike is like an anti wheelie machine.

And for your cop experience, same thing happened to me late one nite. I JUST got out from some paths i really really shouldnt have been on....popped two wheelies and came down stareing at a cop car. As luck would have it it was one of the TWO cops i know in my life. phew! thumb
Back to top Go down
crookedtoothbastard

crookedtoothbastard

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Having ridden both the R & X's I can tell you with the utmost confidence that either model right out of the box is an absolute wheelie MONSTER if you have the skillz(ie:can clutch up). Don't even get me started on their Stoppie prowess.

The bennefit of clutchin up (on all bikes IMO) is you get the front as high as possible as quickly as possible, then you can modulate throttle and tap rear brake to BALANCE and keep it up. If you are accellerating you are not balanced PERIOD.

These bikes are about the most fun i've ever had on two wheels (I've owned 3 R1's,1 R6, 1 CBR600, gsrx750/1000..and some oldies and dirtbikes too)...what beats giggling uncontrolably inside yer helmet everytime you ride the thing?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie Questions?   Wheelie Questions? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheelie Questions?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next