Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TierHawg

Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?   Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? EmptySun May 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Bought a WR250R end of last summer. Had it a month, then was in a car wreck that put me off the bike until this spring. I haven't put too many miles on the bike yet, just over 1000. Everything is running great, and no issues. I've done the basic protection mods, as well as a FMF EFI programmer. I didn't want (or need) to do the exhaust mods until the warranty is up. As it is, I prolly can't afford to do the muffler and header anytime soon.

My warranty has a few months left, and I really haven't wrung the bike out to it's fullest. Yamaha sent an offer in the mail to extend the warranty 1,2,3 or 4 years are various price points. It is the Yamaha Y.E.S. warranty, and looks like good coverage, of course the fine print says to check the YES website. The two year extension looks to be the best price point at $240.

Anyone have the YES warranty? Is it worth it? I am only concerned because i don't have too many miles on my bike yet, and the YES warranty offer is only good for another few weeks (or so they say). Should I just buy tires, new rear sprocket and chain instead?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?   Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Honestly, I'd spend the cash on mods. Tires, sprockets, programmer, whatever. I don't know of anyone who's got that warranty extended; the bike's pretty bulletproof and nothing's really hatched on any of them, save from a few fuel pumps, but that was only few and far between on some early model 08's.

PostSubject: Re: Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?   Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 2:27 pm

I've got the warranty because of the mileage I ride. 4000 so far since the end of January, and I couldn't ride during most of February because of snow. Hell I've put about 2000 on her in the last month... Haven't had to use it yet, but I prefer the piece of mind.
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?   Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Assuming your in the USA and bought your bike new and recently, you have a year to make the decision. I was on the fence about the YES when I bought my bike. I was concerned with the fule pump issues and all the modern electronics on this bike (this WR is really different than a 1971 Yamaha DT 250 Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? Icon_scratch ). For S&G, I asked the dealer what he thought. His opinion was to save the money for gas and riding gear.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?   Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 1:49 pm

TierHawg wrote:
Anyone have the YES warranty? Is it worth it? I am only concerned because i don't have too many miles on my bike yet, and the YES warranty offer is only good for another few weeks (or so they say). Should I just buy tires, new rear sprocket and chain instead?

An extra three years of comprehensive warranty and related travel, towing, etc services for $300... I bought it because I think it is worth it. Will my bike get an extra $200 in resale value if I decide to sell it three years from now and can offer prospective buyers a year of remaining Yamaha warranty? Well, it will definitely add something to the attractiveness of the bike and its resale value.

If, four years from now, everything is still running like a top, then it wasn't worth it.

But if anything in the engine calves, the fuel injection goes for a loop, bad things happen on a trip away from home, etc... it is going to look pretty damned cheap.

Your mileage, as usual, may vary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?   Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Extended Y.E.S. Warranty worth it?
Page 1 of 1