Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ignition Replacment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hertz

Hertz

Ignition Replacment Empty
PostSubject: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Some of you may have seen my post in off topic about the attempted burglary of my bike. Well long story short they fubar'd my ignition. Local dealer wanted 180 for the part and 175 for the labor. Service Honda has it for 120. If i can do it myself for nearly a 3rd the cost, why not. I'm just curious if any one has done this before.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 am

Best of luck, please post how you go about it.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 2:30 pm

Well I finally ordered a new main switch. I ordered from Service Honda, hopefully I get it this week. I was able to get the ignition, a spare key, 2 new tamper proof bolts, the Renthal bar pad they took off my bike, and shipping for everything for less than the dealer wanted for just the ignition. I will update again once I get my parts and start the job.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Crikey, what a freakin headache. The replacement took about 4 hours including lunch. If you notice, the clutch cable and some wires are contained by some thin bar that is attached to the plate which the speedo mounts to. Well that plate mounts to the top triple clamp under one of the tamper proof bolts. Since there is no way of removing that bolt with the top clamp on the bike, I had to cut that 1/8th inch thick bar so that I didn't have to undo my clutch linkage or any of that wiring (there were no close by plugs that I saw). Once i finally got the top clamp separated from the bike, It was time to tackle the bolts. I started with my original plan and used a cut off wheel to put a cut through the middle of the buttonhead. I made it very deep but the bit kept slipping out of the slot and would not turn the bolt. I resorted to plan b and just ground off the entire head, since I wasn't reusing the ignition, it wasnt a big deal. after they were both gone i pulled the main switch off and used a pair of vice grips to turn out what was left of the bolts. Took a while long than expected, but I'm happy I decided to do it myself. Next on the list, fuel pump.

OH and I have pictures if anyones interested.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Post em up! cheers Pica always come in handy. thumb

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 1:00 am

Good Job. thumb

DIY is usually better if you can. It saves money and you learn.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Sorry, been busy. Here's the pictures.

torn apart:
Ignition Replacment 9c81ff63

Radiator must be dismounted to reach the connections (red and white plugs)
Ignition Replacment Ae548cac

The mounting plate for the speedo is what you see in the left half of this picture. As you can see it is held on by one of the two tamper proof bolts. The wires for the horn, blinkers, headlight, and the clutch cable all went though that square opening made by the top clamp and the mounting plate. This made it extremely hard to separate the top clamp from the bike to work on those tamper-proof bolts.
Ignition Replacment 6b5129f6

Plan A (I cut it deeper before trying to turn it out)
Ignition Replacment 3417ed38

Plan B :)
Ignition Replacment 350a7f27

The rest of the bolts. Easily turned out.
Ignition Replacment 920a6f95

New main switch in.
Ignition Replacment 8c68ef59
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Nicely done! Ignition Replacment 525406

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Wow. Even with the pictures it took a bit to figure out what was what. Very educational. Hope I don't need to try that one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ignition Replacment   Ignition Replacment Empty

Back to top Go down

Ignition Replacment
Page 1 of 1