Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Scotts Steering Stabilizer

Go down 
+16
Jäger
sswrx
YamX1KRR
njbill
R_Lefebvre
ZED
taoshum
BigBird
Akasy
Machtig
SheWolf
simonpig
X-Racer
SpiritWolf15
inspector
galland1
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
galland1

galland1

Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 7:47 pm

I measured the axle height before shinko 705's and after. My off the cuff calculations led my to raise the fork tubes approx .5 in. The bike had no headshake or tank slapiness before the stabilizer on or offroad. Although it's a pricey farkle the stabilizer is very effective at helping to soak up highspeed hits to the front wheel.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Tibarus wrote:
R_Lefebvre wrote:
Tibarus, what events have you competed in? You a racer, or a trail riding wanker who just thinks he drives fast?

So all people who ride trails are wankers eh? How very... American a thought that is. Actually, this whole steering stabilizer things is so American an idea it isn't even funny.

This post is over the line IMO.
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Holy shit, Dude. Can you read? Don't crank it up to 85%. Anything from 0% to 66% and you can't even feel the resistance in real world situations.

Tibarus wrote:
simonpig wrote:
Tibarus wrote:
All you people needing a steering dampener should save your money and just do some bicep curls. Rolling Eyes

With a steering damper, you can ride more relaxed which helps you control the bike. If you arms were on locked in position, you'll get armpump fast, and riding tense doesn't help you respond to what the bike is doing below you.

The reason most people don't feel the need for a damper is that there is no feedback — it is suppose to work in the background (the scotts anyway). Once you actually start to feel it noticibly is when you've cranked it too high. As mentioned previously the scotts has a high speed circuit, so that even though you have it set at 25% and you cant feel the resistance, the damper will theoretically kick in if a rock or something cause the bar to turn without warning due to this circuit.

All I see from this is it fucking up and making it so you can't steer the bike at all. No chance of that with NO DAMPENER. These bikes are so fucking light it's just damn funny that you people even need one.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Tibarus wrote:
I'd save your money. Seems like a superfluous farkle to me...

Tibarus wrote:
I have "steering dampeners" on my bike, they are called my biceps.

Tibarus wrote:
All you people needing a steering dampener should save your money and just do some bicep curls. Rolling Eyes

Tibarus wrote:
More carrots and maybe some prescription glasses should help with that "reaction time" thing.

There is saying that goes something like this: " Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" .

I was going to post rebuttals to your posts above, but I just don't feel like it anymore. I'll just leave you with this: Please educate yourself before posting up incorrect assumptions and ludicrous suggestions about something you obviously know nothing about.

Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

simonpig wrote:
Holy shit, Dude. Can you read? Don't crank it up to 85%. Anything from 0% to 66% and you can't even feel the resistance in real world situations.

I wont have to worry about this, since I don't have superfluous farkles on my bikes.

As for you Matchtig... I don't know anything eh? Well I seem to know enough not to put useless additions on my bikes.

What is that old saying? The more things you add to a bike the more things can go wrong? Steering dampeners just seem like asking for something to go wrong.

But what ever, all you people seem suck on this thing. Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Last edited by Tibarus on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:20 pm

So anyway, back to the topic at hand... So these setups run about $500 eh? Yikes. That will require approval from the Minister of Finance for that one. Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 490865 It'll be a tough sell.
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 pm

No, it's one thing to disagree. It's another thing altogether to just be an asshat.

Tibarus wrote:

It's apparent that as the thread progressed, and nobody cared about your input, your posts became more and more inflamatory until you started getting the attention you wanted.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 pm

R_Lefebvre wrote:
No, it's one thing to disagree. It's another thing altogether to just be an asshat.

Tibarus wrote:

It's apparent that as the thread progressed, and nobody cared about your input, your posts became more and more inflamatory until you started getting the attention you wanted.

Really I couldn't care less about attention from this forum, least of all attention from people riding dirt bikes with street wheels with knobby tires ( Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 Suspect )

But whatever, you all go and buy your stabilizer. Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Tibarus: Just for the record you said "Seems like a superfluous farkle to me..."

Which means you have not tried one and then proceeded to argue with those that have.

If you have an opinion that's fine, but base it on the discussion of having used the equipment and not what you "think" the equipment may or may not do.

Maybe people with exceptionally hard heads don't need helmets either. Others never fall so helmets are unnecessary farkles. Others, if they do fall may want to keep the grey matter inside.

In fact footpegs may not be for everyone either, but some like them too.

If you have nothing to add to the USE of equipment that others may consider, then say nothing.

If you have input, state your experience and evaluation.

Constructive criticism and alternatives of equipment is always welcome.

Also... Respect your elders. We weren't born yesterday.

...and listen. Believe it or not, you may learn something.
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 9:56 pm

R_Lefebvre wrote:

Tibarus wrote:

Bingo!!

In other news, yeah, they run about $500, give or take. There are other brands of dampers that I've heard are good, check the mega-thread on ADV. Scott's is the major one for our bikes though.

I have a W.E.R. damper on my 450F and have been very happy with it, and it was only about $300 or so. One of the major mags did a review on all the dampers and concluded that the W.E.R. was the best for tight, east coast woods racing, with was what I did with the 450F. Many of the other racers I raced with used it and raved about it, so I went with that one on the 450, but I don't think they make a mount for the 250R. It mounted down on the fender too.

I've been very impressed with the Scotts damper though. I used the Highway Dirtbikes mount for it and like it too.
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Tibarus wrote:

Really I couldn't care less about attention from this forum, least of all attention from people riding dirt bikes with street wheels with knobby tires ( Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 Suspect )

So, what exactly is a "street" wheel anyway? Did God, on the 8th day, say "Let all dirt bikes have 21" wheels", and it was done? Was is Newton, or Einstein, who determined that 21" is the only solution for a dirt wheel? How do you classify a TTR-125, it has a 17" front wheel....

Any rebuttal on your completely erroneous assumption about my nationality? Or you're just hoping that one slides?
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Tibarus wrote:
The only bike I've ever owned that has "needed" a dampener was the 1100, and even then, I think I had it on "max" all the time, even in the city, really I never noticed the difference. None of my other bikes have needed them, not my 650 or even my RD, which, if you know these bikes, is 10 times more unstable than any WR. Tank slap? Never had that happen on ANY bike I've ever owned, and Shewolf can attest to how hard I ride them. You all should try picking better lines or maybe holding the bars tighter. Honestly, if you can't keep the bars going straight you really should think about just driving a car.

As for the X needing it over the R? You all should have bought an R in the first place. That or stop taking your STREET BIKE off road.

Wow, you're pretty full of yourself today Tib. Who pissed in your corn flakes? Contrary opinions are fine, but you act as though you have a personal vendetta against this or something. scratch

Many people have encountered tank slappers on many bikes and many different surfaces including pavement and gravel. It's not all about path picking and MuscleMan strength. The physics of a cycle in motion are very complex. Subtle changes can have a large effect. Maybe you just don't have the experience to realize this. Unfortunately you don't appear to have the experience to recognize what you don't know either. Sad, as that is a big block against learning.

As for getting the R in the first place. poser2 I bought the right bike for me. Maybe you've heard of them. They're called SuperMotards. Oh, and riding this particular form of street bike in the dirt is a LARGE part of the point.

Now, why don't you either:
A. Log off and let the real Tibarus have his account back, or
B. Go back on the meds you've been missing.

Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:38 pm

R_Lefebvre wrote:

Interesting you bring this up, and this whole tread is timely, as I just posted in the X forum. I had a really bad tank slapper on the weekend. Really bad. In a moment of adrenaline-induced hyper-reality, I somehow got it back under control. Further testing shows my X with Shinko 705 is basically unrideable above 40mph off-road. Any bump can set it off. I need to find out soon if I've got a mechanical issue (loose head bearing) or what. I wonder if the smaller front tire on the X which creates the steeper angle on the front forks is the cause. If so, dropping the rear suspension height should help?

Good save on that! thumb They're tough to get back once they go beyond just a bit of head shake.

Small changes in geometry can have an effect. Both ends can be changed. As I recall, a general rule of thumb is that a 1mm change in height (up or down) in the forks is equal to about 3mm of change in the rear. I haven't played with the adjustable linkage in the rear yet, but I suspect a slight lowering would have a change. Since you have a reproducable test case it would be interesting to do some changes (a little at a time) and try it out to see if you can get an improvement. It would be a learning experience for all.

CAUTIONARY NOTE: Don't risk breaking your neck for the scientific cause though. Very happy Be safe. thumb
Back to top Go down
R_Lefebvre

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 6:51 am

ZED, it is my understanding, that changing the angle of the bike so that the front forks are more vertical makes it steer quicker, but more prone to headshake. Changing the angle so that the forks are at a greater angle laying down from vertical makes the bike more stable. Correct?
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 10:22 am

In general that is my understanding too. However I once rode someone's bike that was set up for their lighter weight and not mine. When I sat on it the rear sank down and the front end angle got shallow. I found it to be very unstable and liked to shake. That was an extreme case the other way, but it points to the fact that it can be induced by multiple things.

If I had a repeatable test case like yours I would likely try lowering the rear a few mm at a time and see how it goes. If it gets worse go the other way. Hopefully there's a sweet spot there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 10:42 am

Measured at the axle the 705's raised the rear axle 1 inch. And raised the front axle 1.5 inch. I raised my fork tubes .5 inch. into the clamps. I did this to keep the frame at about the same angle as stock. Although it's a gross over simplification of a very complicated system it seemed to work well for me. -Mike
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:37 am

ZED wrote:
Tibarus wrote:
The only bike I've ever owned that has "needed" a dampener was the 1100, and even then, I think I had it on "max" all the time, even in the city, really I never noticed the difference. None of my other bikes have needed them, not my 650 or even my RD, which, if you know these bikes, is 10 times more unstable than any WR. Tank slap? Never had that happen on ANY bike I've ever owned, and Shewolf can attest to how hard I ride them. You all should try picking better lines or maybe holding the bars tighter. Honestly, if you can't keep the bars going straight you really should think about just driving a car.

As for the X needing it over the R? You all should have bought an R in the first place. That or stop taking your STREET BIKE off road.

Wow, you're pretty full of yourself today Tib. Who pissed in your corn flakes? Contrary opinions are fine, but you act as though you have a personal vendetta against this or something. scratch

Many people have encountered tank slappers on many bikes and many different surfaces including pavement and gravel. It's not all about path picking and MuscleMan strength. The physics of a cycle in motion are very complex. Subtle changes can have a large effect. Maybe you just don't have the experience to realize this. Unfortunately you don't appear to have the experience to recognize what you don't know either. Sad, as that is a big block against learning.

As for getting the R in the first place. poser2 I bought the right bike for me. Maybe you've heard of them. They're called SuperMotards. Oh, and riding this particular form of street bike in the dirt is a LARGE part of the point.

Now, why don't you either:
A. Log off and let the real Tibarus have his account back, or
B. Go back on the meds you've been missing.

You said it ZED! This forum is a friendly place to get helpful info & share experiences with fellow WR riders. He doesn't even have a WR on his bike list. We don't need bad attitudes stirring up stuff & getting members upset. The forum moderators need to police this type of posting, give the guy a warning & delete his posts if he continues.

Last edited by sswrx on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 12:30 pm

I would suggest that in the spirit of the forum, and to keep it lively yet non-caustic, please put thought into what you are about to post, and reread what you are about to post before hitting that send button. May I remind everyone that there are emoticons to use in the event something is meant as a joke; many times what gets posted can be taken in the wrong context and the use of an emoticon after an 'iffy' spread of words can make or break an actual 'flame'. Sometimes in the light of something that isn't someone's cup of tea (kinda like me and that Safari tank Very happy ) a simple 'no thanks' can work wonders. If you feel the need to express yourself, remember what you might like or might not like might not be agreed upon by someone else. Use good judgment when making a post. Let's stabilize this thread, shall we? freaky

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 2:06 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I would suggest that in the spirit of the forum, and to keep it lively yet non-caustic, please put thought into what you are about to post, and reread what you are about to post before hitting that send button. May I remind everyone that there are emoticons to use in the event something is meant as a joke; many times what gets posted can be taken in the wrong context and the use of an emoticon after an 'iffy' spread of words can make or break an actual 'flame'. Sometimes in the light of something that isn't someone's cup of tea (kinda like me and that Safari tank Very happy ) a simple 'no thanks' can work wonders. If you feel the need to express yourself, remember what you might like or might not like might not be agreed upon by someone else. Use good judgment when making a post. Let's stabilize this thread, shall we? freaky

Thanks Shewolf
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Went thru a few things. I got hung up trying to program my 2-way radio....woops. Shog

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Tibarus wrote:
Tank slap? Never had that happen on ANY bike I've ever owned, and Shewolf can attest to how hard I ride them. You all should try picking better lines or maybe holding the bars tighter. Honestly, if you can't keep the bars going straight you really should think about just driving a car.

There are riders out in the big wide world that ride in a reality that you will never see - and I don't care how hard you think you ride in the Okanagan. They also see and ride lines you would never attempt, never mind the speed they do it at.

I never have and never will ride in that reality either.

When the boys in the biggies are putting on steering dampeners - guys who stick to a fitness program that would make an NHL'er sick - they obviously make a big difference. Unless you are a world class athlete, your guns don't compare to what those guys are rocking.

Bottom line is that lots of world class riders - and you aren't in that group - put steering dampers on their bike. They don't put them on because they want the extra weight and doo-dads on their bike.

The fact you don't ride hard enough or the right conditions to benefit from them doesn't mean they aren't a great piece of kit for some riders and some conditions.

I don't ride aggressively enough to need a steering damper. That doesn't mean they aren't a handy piece of kit.

Now everybody just take a deep breath and step away from that keyboard.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 7:48 pm

If I step away from the keyboard I'll lose my typing concentration. Oh right...that stopped after about the 7th jello shooter. Very happy Good thing I am done my running around.

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 8:29 pm

SheWolf wrote:
If I step away from the keyboard I'll lose my typing concentration. Oh right...that stopped after about the 7th jello shooter. Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 93746 Good thing I am done my running around.
Jello shooter.... jeez, what a waste.

I would have sucked a golf ball through a mile of garden hose today if there would have been one cold beer behind it.

Then the GD bastards dumped all the ice and cold water out of the food chest before we got back because they couldn't see what a bunch of sweaty overheated bastards would want with a bunch of half melted ice cubes...

I find my front wheel flicks/kicks once in a while in turns on hard forestry roads. Most unsettling, and a couple of times I have nearly been spit off. I have mused and wondered once in a while if a steering damper would address that. Lot of money for nothing if it didn't do anything. Airing the tires down might improve that as well.

I just say "screw it" and slow down. I'm cheap and lazy, and life is going by too damned fast at my age anyways.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 10:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:
If I step away from the keyboard I'll lose my typing concentration. Oh right...that stopped after about the 7th jello shooter. Very happy Good thing I am done my running around.

Maybe this would be an appropriate time to ask you to please post a sequel to the chainsaw picture. Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 163123
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 pm

What one? The one I tried to get but can't climb the tree fast enuf for the damned timer on my cam? budah I don't think want my neighbor doing it.... eeek

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scotts Steering Stabilizer
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next