Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Scotts Steering Stabilizer

Go down 
+16
Jäger
sswrx
YamX1KRR
njbill
R_Lefebvre
ZED
taoshum
BigBird
Akasy
Machtig
SheWolf
simonpig
X-Racer
SpiritWolf15
inspector
galland1
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:18 pm

SheWolf wrote:
What one? The one I tried to get but can't climb the tree fast enuf for the damned timer on my cam? budah I don't think want my neighbor doing it.... eeek

I could drive up again Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 810411
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Well if you are you'd better bring the right damned bike. dddog

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:48 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Well if you are you'd better bring the right damned bike. dddog

I once again find myself wondering just how much "Bike" can fit in a 1979 mustang.... Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 Icon_scratch Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 810411
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 am

Jello shooters and Beer! thumb freaky
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 am

Grab your woman their Keith, and head er on over! cheers

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 11:49 pm

Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 61865 I've used these steering dampers for about 10 years... actually the same damper with different mounts for each moto. If I only had one opportunity to add a part to the bike, it would be this one. It has saved my rear so many times, I lost count. Someday someone will post lap times and number of laps without a wreck with and without a damper... then we'll know. In the mean time, check out the Baja racing bikes and you'll see dampers on all of 'em which proves that the pros are really out of it or, more likely, see a true improvement.

The big question in my mind is why isn't it OEM stock? But, I guess you could say that about lots of stuff, like a skid plate, LED turn signals, etc.
Back to top Go down
Joe Dirt

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:33 am

I have a real hard time going fast through sand without a damper. That's the only place I've found them absolutely essential. But it's enough of an issue on my trips west that I'm working on adding one to my bike now. There were people on my ride last year that were going my pace without a damper. But I noticed they had all tightened the steering head bearings to the point of significant steering resistance. I really enjoy the light feeling of my WRR and don't want to give that up. So the best compromise to me is adding the Scotts and leaving it off until needed. It's an expensive luxury but worth it to me.

My roadracing organization has required dampers since before I started racing. Otherwise I probably never would have tried one. As a starting point I'd suggest adjusting the damper to the point you can feel it and then back off ~20%. If this occurs above 50% of the full adjustment range then start looking at a chassis alignment problem. Otherwise I've found this method allows the front end to give feedback without ever going completely unstable. What you do from there is up to you. Some people add more damper and some adjust their riding. I have never seen a roadrace bike ridden in anger that didn't need some steering damper. My 250GP bike needed almost none but in general the more HP the more reliance on a damper.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 5:43 pm

I got one coming for my R. My speed in the woods has picked up so much I HAVE to have one. Lungs keep me from doing it for long but when I keep up with B and A riders in the rocky enduro trails I ride and race it's all I can do to keep from getting the bars ripped out of my hands when I hit a rock just right at 35..

If I was only DSing it I don't think I would need one..
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Will these gizmos help stabilize the front end at high speed on the road? To what degree? Will they help with the vibration generated from running 90/10's on the road?

Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:27 pm

gatorfan wrote:
Will these gizmos help stabilize the front end at high speed on the road? To what degree? Will they help with the vibration generated from running 90/10's on the road?

It doesn't change what comes from the knobbies.

For the high speed on the road, an ajustment of the static sag and the air pressure should do.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 am

Read post #64 on this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612543&page=5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scotts Steering Stabilizer   Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scotts Steering Stabilizer
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3