Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

skipping feeling while doing wheelies

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
BWA
mwagman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mwagman

skipping feeling while doing wheelies Empty
PostSubject: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Today while riding when i would get hard on the gas and lift the front tire there is a skipping feeling coming from the back tire, i have had this bike for over a year and it has never felt like this.
I first thought loss chain but the chain is fine.
Has anyone experienced this before? do you guys think it could be my front sprocket?
Back to top Go down
BWA

BWA

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 pm

hard to tell what you're experiencing form that description, but I would lean more towards the clutch as the culprit, than the sprockets. Which, if it is the latter, it would be pretty easy to tell... take a look at them! deal
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 7:46 am

If you had a 2008 model WR-250R or WR-250X with the stock rear sprocket, the rubber damper on the rear sprocket supposedly can make the chain skip over the sprocket teeth is the chain is a little bit too loose.

What's the condition of the sprockets (front one, too)?
Back to top Go down
mwagman

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Yes it is a 2008. I will take off the guard and check the front sprocket tonight.
I don't think that the chain is loose. Above the swing arm I can just fit 2 fingers, which is about what I want I believe.
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Anyone suspect the tire? When my stock tire was worn and ready to be replaced, I thought I was experiencing a skip under heavy acceleration caused by a lack of grip, then I thought surely I'm just crazy and imagining things. dunno
Haven't duplicated the experience on my new tire...
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 pm

My first thought was tire. Ever do any long skids ?

It could be flat-spotted in several areas and perhaps you do not notice it with your weight distributed on both tires.

Balancing also came to mind. May be enhanced (natural frequency resonance) at certain speeds.
Back to top Go down
mwagman

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 am

I checked the front sprocket it was fine, I will check out the tire later today but it is not very old and still has a lot of tread left. Good thing to look at though, I was planing on tightening the chain a little today and testing it out. If I'm still experiencing it toady I will try and descibe the feeling better.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 am

If the chain tension is good, then I'm thinking maybe tire, too. I jarred on mine once to pass a semi in slow traffic and had the same thing happen. Seemed like the tire hopped a few times as I took off.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
velvetcows

velvetcows

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:41 pm

greer wrote:
If the chain tension is good, then I'm thinking maybe tire, too. I jarred on mine once to pass a semi in slow traffic and had the same thing happen. Seemed like the tire hopped a few times as I took off.
Sarah

SWEET! I'm not the only one!!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Can someone tell me what "Jarred on" means.

I gotta keep up with the lingo. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 9:05 am

And I thought yall California dudes wuz supposed to be hip....

Sarah
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 pm

skipping feeling while doing wheelies 851577 Rob, thanks for the giggle. Now let's get jiggy with it. skipping feeling while doing wheelies 93746

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Sarah: I don't get out much. ...and when I do, it's WAY OUT THERE ! * laugh *

SheDaisey: Now gettin' jiggy with it I understand.... Let's ! Very happy

Sooooooo..... What's the answer ?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 7:02 am

Now, I have no clue about gettin' jiggy...

but in my post above I was referring to a sudden burst of throttle....

Sarah
Back to top Go down
mwagman

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:39 am

So the bike is running great again. I tightened the chain a little bit and now it is riding the way it should, it was just a little loose and when i would jar on the gas it would slip a little on the back sprocket im guessing. Thanks for all the replies.
Do you like my use of the word jarred? We in Pa can get down with that lingo!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 1:06 pm

My grandmother was down with jarred when she did homemade pickles. @_@
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Hmmm...you gotta jar it when you get jiggy with it. skipping feeling while doing wheelies 93746
Glad to hear you go it all sorted out. skipping feeling while doing wheelies 61865

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Oh... Okay. I'm jiggy with the jarring jargon. wings

I'm feeling hip now. Again I mean.

I'm not sure how a chain skips a little. If it was that loose (enough to skip a tooth) it's way loose.

I think that would be more than a skipping feeling (I think).

My problem is different. After I do a very long wheelie I feel like skipping. Very happy
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 9:40 pm

...thru the tu-lips.... skipping feeling while doing wheelies 613970 skipping feeling while doing wheelies 93746

PostSubject: Re: skipping feeling while doing wheelies   skipping feeling while doing wheelies Empty

Back to top Go down

skipping feeling while doing wheelies
Page 1 of 1