Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JustWannaRide

Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup Empty
PostSubject: Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup   Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 am

Just looking for any input on making my WR250R a daily ride. Basically all stock with 1100 miles.

Looking at Wolfman E10 bags or other ideas/suggestions? Maybe bigger bags?

Looking at exup/flapper removal? Do I have to have a programmer for this?

Looking for good disc lock?

Going to be riding 15 miles or so each way.

Will wear a backpack to help carry change of clothes.

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup   Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:07 am

My WRR has been my only vehicle since July 2008.

Mechanically, the bike needs nothing. You won't need a programmer if you remove the AIS and/or flapper, but if you remove the exup the way most of us do (new exhaust) you'll need a programmer and some way to stop the CEL light from activating (graves sells a plug via GYTR for ~$50, or you can make your own resistor setup, instructions are on here somewhere; i went with the graves). No reason to do any of it, just change the oil and keep the air filter clean. The only other things I would absolutely always add are heated grips and a plug for my heated clothing.

Nothing but nothing beats a good tank bag, for me at least. I use a wolfman enduro tank bag like most on here, perfect size for the bike and holds a surprising amount of stuff. I keep my wolfman enduro saddle bags on the bike all the time too, good for the surprise trips to the store or what have you, but they really aren't necessary except for when I decide to not carry a backpack. I have tried keeping larger bags on the bike full time (dirtbagz) but didn't really like the set up as much. Most of the time they're there for summer use, I'll keep a set of rain gear in them as a just in case or my work shoes when I don't want to bring the backpack.

Change of clothes? Get a 1pc suit or overpants and a good jacket, bring a change of footwear if desired.

Never bothered with the disk lock, thats what insurance is for and I never have anywhere to lock it up to when I find parking. Fortunately at my current job I am able to park in a garage.

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup   Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:04 am

Adding a fuel programmer makes the bike run better with better throttle response.
Period.
This would probably be the first thing I'd change.

One day, I had my Power Commander III quit working, and if I wanted to actually continue riding the bike that day, I had to unplug it and remove it.
Well, I did that, but the throttle response was definitely crappier than it was with it working, and basically, the bike felt like it was starving for sufficient fuel whenever the throttle was opened.
That is pretty much a common trait of nearly every EPA-regulated bike I've owned, and as time goes on, the worse the newer models get because the regulations get more and more crazy.

After I got to work the following day, I ordered-up an FMF Power Programmer, pronto, and restored the good throttle response.

Removing the airbox flapper is a no-brainer because it's practically free of charge.
Details on how to do this are definitely on these forums, probably in the Sweet Mods forum.
This is another EPA restriction against all of that deafening intake noise (sarcasm).

Removing the EXUP from the exhaust means replacing the stock muffler with a less-corked-up one, like the popular FMF Q4, since the EXUP valve parts are welded to the muffler.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: daily rider   Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

My power train is still stock (except lower final drive, but that's more for dirt work than commuting) and I get around just zippy.

Skierd's suggestions are right on the money - voice of experience there.

For commuting, especially at speeds approaching freeway limits, a little more wind protection is welcome. This means hand guards and a little windscreen. I have the $5 el cheapo Harbor Freight face shield as a windscreen but really could benefit from something taller.

Tank bag is must. I too have the Wolfman Enduro. It's capacity is barely adequate but it fits nice because it's small.

I have yet to bother with a Speedo Healer to correct the speedometer or odometer. It's not like these bikes are speed demons, but if being careful about your speed is important to you, then you might want address the rather large error (optimistic) provided by the factory.

How are you set for conspicuity?
How are you with safe motorcycling?
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup   Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Oh yeah, windscreens. My harbor freight one was ripped off the bike overnight during a recent windstorm about a month ago. I miss it, but not enough to get another one. Plus its been too cold to replace it recently.

Hand guards with BIG coverage are excellent for when its cold. I have a set of msr elephant ears knockoffs I found at Walmart for $10, help tremendously in foul or freezing or both weather.

I do have an exhaust, programmer, and opened airbox on mine. The benefit is significant on the highway, the bike is comfortable cruising at 5-10mph faster than bone stock with lower revs and I'm running nearly stock gearing (14/47 for the time being). 70mph all day long, or for the 10-15mins I'm on the interstate riding to work or whereever. Around town its superfluous except for sounding cooler and less scooterish.
Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup   Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 am

Thank you all for the replies.

I will be looking into prices and/or best place to buy the mentioned items.

Any suggestions on where to buy for best price/service?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup   Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup Empty

Back to top Go down

Ideas/Help/Suggestions w/daily rider setup
Page 1 of 1