Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Took the WRR off road for the first time

Go down 
+2
Midnite171
zone47
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zone47

zone47

Took the WRR off road for the first time Empty
PostSubject: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:35 pm

... for any length of time and wow, what a skittery bike with those stock tires! eeek

I was riding on hard packed sand and through some drying mud. It was pretty scary. That back tire hooks up about as good as a slick going up hills dddog I got stuck at one point and had to turn it around, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be considering the weight of the bike. The suspension wasn't too bad, it soaked up just about everything. dunno The stock gearing is too tall for any woods riding, that's for sure. beater

I think with a better set of tires, this would be a fun casual trail bike!
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Yeah, I noticed that on my first ride. I got the Dunlop D606's about 3 days after I got the bike. They got some decent knobbies and are still legal for road use.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Those were probably the worst conditions for the stock tires, they work best in dry rocky conditions and pavement. Did you air down at all? Fun is fun however, glad you got out some finally!
Back to top Go down
Ecarnell

PostSubject: Re: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 10:51 am

With The stock tires - the front end sucks.
I wonder why there are so many lightly used WR selling for so cheap in the us these days. I suspect alot are still set a high suspension/seat setting and stock tires. One good off road outing with that set up will turn alot of people off the bike. Plus if you don't ride them bike in the upper rpms - she can be a little under powered for sure.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 11:00 am

skierd wrote:
Those were probably the worst conditions for the stock tires, they work best in dry rocky conditions and pavement. Did you air down at all? Fun is fun however, glad you got out some finally!

Yeah, I should have dropped the pressure to around 12 to 15 psi, but the front and rear were around 20. It was really shakey going down this muddy slope, I thought the front was going to let go, but I just got my weight back and rode it pretty loose .... it did ok. amazon I did hit some harder rocky and dirt surfaces and it really is fun having that 4 stroke torque (after years of riding two strokes).
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 12:40 pm

my first time trail riding this bike I had the same feelings (it was my first time ever offroad riding as well). it was a monday in the fall and it had been raining lightly all weekend. a guy on a 4 wheeler caught up to me when I had stopped for a breather and he said after looking at my tracks going down some of the muddier hills he was surprised I hadn't fallen yet. but a couple years later with better tires and much more experience that's a different story now.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Yeah...taking those stock TW's in anything loose is asking for trouble. eeek

PostSubject: Re: Took the WRR off road for the first time   Took the WRR off road for the first time Empty

Back to top Go down

Took the WRR off road for the first time
Page 1 of 1