Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Some of you weren't born when I bought this

Go down 
+4
zone47
trav72
YZEtc
motokid
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Some of you weren't born when I bought this Empty
PostSubject: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Some of you weren't born when I bought this IMG_0007

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs

DieselSkye likes this post

Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Oh, I remember those.
An ex-brother-in-law had a 1984 model, the first model year they were available.
He even let me ride it.
Actually, more like insisted I ride it so that I'd be mightily impressed with it. :)

His didn't make it to 1985 in one piece. ;)
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 pm

I had an 85 750. Of course it was about 6 years old when I bought it. But it was the one that started my V4 obsession. This was my last one. It wasn't the same with the Vtec but still had that same distinctive exhaust sound. However, I still like the gear whine of the 5th gens. I'll probably get another one of those in the future.

Some of you weren't born when I bought this 1624bfdca2572af9
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:56 pm

motokid wrote:
Some of you weren't born when I bought this IMG_0007

Awesome man! I love bikes out of the 80s. Honda was putting out some great bikes in the early 80s, but mostly 750, 900s and the 1100F in 83 .... nothing in the 500cc class until the interceptor. I never owned one, but rode one and it was quite a different feel from an inline 4. I was thinking, this thing isn't even fast dddog .... and I looked down to see I was almost at 85mph eeek

Can I babble on here for a moment? ... you got me excited about this subject dunno

84 was a pinnacle year for Japanese motorcycles. I don't know what the heck happened, but from 83 to 84, the bikes were light years ahead in just one year! Stiff frames, much better suspension and much stronger engines! Watching the Japanese technology in motorcycles was fascinating through the 80s and into the 90s.

In 84 we had:

The Honda interceptors of course. If I remember right, they had the 750 and 1000cc flavors too.
Yamaha's spectacular FJ1100
Suzuki's arm stretching GS1150E and ES
Kawasaki's mind blowing 900 Ninja and class beating 750 turbo WoW what a great year that was!!!

Here are a few pix of bikes I had back then freaky

This was an 85 ... the first full bodywork Japanese sport bike! Smooth as your Grandma's sewing machine.

Some of you weren't born when I bought this HRRgq

This bike came out in 85 and was a technological marvel. It rewrote the book on how to design a sport bike. Mass centralization baby!!

This is an 86.

Some of you weren't born when I bought this FftuD

... even though this is an 81, it's probably the most fun I've ever had on a street bike!!

Some of you weren't born when I bought this Ozfhi

Thank you , that will be all bert

DieselSkye likes this post

Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyThu May 12, 2011 4:57 pm

And let's not forget the 250 and 500 Gamma, especially the Walter Wolf edition 500
The anniversary edition Suzuki 750 Katana, in Canada there were 200
the RZ 500 and FZR 400
83 the KDX200 and 84 the IT200, 85 Quadracer was killer, I loved the one I had

And then the crash, 1985 the Yen went nuts and prices went up substantially

That was good times back then
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyThu May 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Your quadracer was sick! thumb Remember this? Very happy wings

Some of you weren't born when I bought this Bushwh10

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyThu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm

I thought that the 80's were great days for bikes. I bought a 89 GB500 new in 90. And a 89 Hawk GT in 92. I had a XT500, a XS650, and a host of other less notable bikes.
In 09 while looking at the WRR I found a pristine 88 Hawk GT with less than 10,000 miles for $2400.00. I bought both that day.

Some of you weren't born when I bought this Dscn0510
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:26 am

zone47 wrote:

Can I babble on here for a moment? ... you got me excited about this subject dunno

84 was a pinnacle year for Japanese motorcycles. I don't know what the heck happened, but from 83 to 84, the bikes were light years ahead in just one year! Stiff frames, much better suspension and much stronger engines! Watching the Japanese technology in motorcycles was fascinating through the 80s and into the 90s.

In 84 we had:

The Honda interceptors of course. If I remember right, they had the 750 and 1000cc flavors too.
Yamaha's spectacular FJ1100
Suzuki's arm stretching GS1150E and ES
Kawasaki's mind blowing 900 Ninja and class beating 750 turbo WoW what a great year that was!!!

Here are a few pix of bikes I had back then freaky

This was an 85 ... the first full bodywork Japanese sport bike! Smooth as your Grandma's sewing machine.

Some of you weren't born when I bought this HRRgq

This bike came out in 85 and was a technological marvel. It rewrote the book on how to design a sport bike. Mass centralization baby!!

This is an 86.

Some of you weren't born when I bought this FftuD

Thank you , that will be all bert
Nice bikes! thumb

I hope to get the fuel petcock sorted out on my Honda 86 NS400R soon, get the bodywork back on, and post some pics.
It definitely has full bodywork, even the side stand has a panel attached. Very happy
It also has a very nice Jolly Moto (Italian) full exhaust system, which is mostly covered up by the full bodywork. Shog
It's a bit unusual, not too many bikes have a V-3 2 stroke engine.

Jolly Moto story: in 2002 my friend owned this bike in Europe. I was riding it on our way to the 2002 motoGP in Mugello
when it lost a muffler. So we stopped at the Jolly Moto factory on the way, got a new mufler and a factory tour, which
included a recently retired 250 GP bike. That was a very fun trip, almost 3 weeks on the NS400R over nine countries. thumb
Oh, and all 3 classes were won by Italian riders at the 2002 Mugello GP races. Riding out of there with about 30,000 very
happy Italian fans was *interresting*!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyFri May 13, 2011 9:12 am

deerHater wrote:

I hope to get the fuel petcock sorted out on my Honda 86 NS400R soon, get the bodywork back on, and post some pics.
It definitely has full bodywork, even the side stand has a panel attached. Very happy
It also has a very nice Jolly Moto (Italian) full exhaust system, which is mostly covered up by the full bodywork. Shog

Jolly Moto story: in 2002 my friend owned this bike in Europe. I was riding it on our way to the 2002 motoGP in Mugello
when it lost a muffler. So we stopped at the Jolly Moto factory on the way, got a new mufler and a factory tour, which
included a recently retired 250 GP bike. That was a very fun trip, almost 3 weeks on the NS400R over nine countries. thumb
Oh, and all 3 classes were won by Italian riders at the 2002 Mugello GP races. Riding out of there with about 30,000 very
happy Italian fans was *interresting*!

Yes - please - post pictures....PLEASE!!!!!!

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyFri May 13, 2011 10:39 am

motokid wrote:

deerHater wrote:

Yes - please - post pictures....PLEASE!!!!!!
Will do. Meanwhile:

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/NSR/specsother/ns400r.html

Mine has the red/white/blue/yellow colour scheme.
Note the weird tire sizes, not much selection still available.
Note also it's a 6-speed with a high final ratio. 6th would require cops-seize-my-bike speed here in Ontario.

This page shows the Canadian brochure, wish I had one!
http://www.ns400r.de/specs/NS400Specs.htm

It sounds similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pgwlINERRk
Although it was LOUD when missing the one muffler (passing through Italian little towns with narrow streets.) Shog

OK, time to stop rambling on and on...
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyFri May 13, 2011 10:07 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Your quadracer was sick! thumb Remember this? Very happy wings

Some of you weren't born when I bought this Bushwh10

Wow look at that gear LOL, I want to go back to that time and ride that stuff again, there were some epic quad rides goin on, that must be Bruce's 87
I don't remember that pic cuz I made it over the log and was waiting impatiently about a mile away amazon
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this EmptyFri May 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah that was Bruce's. Wazz flipped his Mojave trying to go over that. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Some of you weren't born when I bought this   Some of you weren't born when I bought this Empty

Back to top Go down

Some of you weren't born when I bought this
Page 1 of 1