Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  Empty
PostSubject: Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?    Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 4:41 pm

I used to squirt around letting the bike not lug, but grunt along at lowish revs, about half throttle shifting at probably about 5 or 6k. Kinda sound like a big twin and more than keep up with traffic. Now days, its seems if the bike isn't in the meat of the power band and I open the throttle a lot I feel nastiness through the pegs. Theres a positive line in throttle opening where it starts at any given rev or speed. When I can just start to feel them, I can let off a hair and it goes away, give a lil more and it comes back. Hard to describe. The normal vibes coming through are steady and scale with the revs. The bad vibes feel more like when you drag furniture across a floor. Sort of randomly modulate around, feels sort of gritty or metal against metal slippy. They are in addition to the normal vibes.

I've never had a clutch slip before, could it be that? I'm running pure ester based synthetic ($$). It sort of started with putting the shinko tires. Did I do something wrong? I've adjusted the chain twice since installing them (sprocket changes to get some power back).
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?    Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Could be your oil. What is it?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?    Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 7:39 pm

The X is designed to be rev'd. If you're shifting at 5-6 thousand rpm's you're babying the bike.

Lugging the engine isn't good. Down shift the fucker and gas it.

Ride it like you stole it.

Run the bike up to redline. 11,000 rpm's.

The motor is 1/4 of an R1 motor.

How many miles on your bike? How many miles since last oil change? Is it winter where you are now? What weight oil you running in it?

Have you ever run a gear up to the rev limiter?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?    Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 9:39 pm

>"Theres a positive line in throttle opening where it starts at any given rev or speed. When I can just start to feel them, I can let off a hair and it goes away, give a lil more and it comes back. Hard to describe. The normal vibes coming through are steady and scale with the revs. The bad vibes feel more like when you drag furniture across a floor. "

Very interesting. I'm running into the same thing... when throttle is lightly advanced, the engine runs rough... back the trottle off and the engine smooths out. If you hammer the throttle then the bike really jumps (nice).

I have a fuel programmer, mounted it on the gas tank, and can't seem to eliminate the rough spots. The roughness shows up when the programmer goes 'yellow' (fuel advanced), I've managed to reduce the 'run flat' dropouts by dropping the 'yellow fuel' level, and raising the yellow 'enterance' rpm to the cutoff point, also lowered the red area enterance point down. But it's still not perfect, which is a bit of a nuisance. The bike should pull perfectly smooth.

Note: Have added/remove the usual stage 1 stuff... (airbox, FMF Q4, other stuff removed), but I'm pretty sure the mid-throttle performance was the same when the bike was stock.

Does anyone else have this? Widespread or ???
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?    Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 9:42 pm

"Maxima Maxum4 Extra 100% Synthetic 4-Stroke Oil 10W-40" per my inbox receipt.

Bike has about 3300 on it, had an oil change at about 2500. It is winter here, averages about 30-50*F or so. I rarely run it up to redline unless I am in a corner and leaned over, the power seems to fall off before redline. I commute in stop and go traffic though, so 75% of the time there is a vehicle in front of me. It seems to be mostly 5th and 6th gear. The place I am noticing it most is on the freeway. Ill be going 70 in 6th, car in front of me slows down, I go down to about 50 or so. Used to it would go on ahead and happily accelerate back up to 70 at what I would consider a normal pace without shifting (quicker than the cars around me) with about half throttle. Now it makes that funky feeling.

TwilightZone wrote:
>"Theres a positive line in throttle opening where it starts at any given rev or speed. When I can just start to feel them, I can let off a hair and it goes away, give a lil more and it comes back. Hard to describe. The normal vibes coming through are steady and scale with the revs. The bad vibes feel more like when you drag furniture across a floor. "

Very interesting. I'm running into the same thing... when throttle is lightly advanced, the engine runs rough... back the trottle off and the engine smooths out. If you hammer the throttle then the bike really jumps (nice).

I have a fuel programmer, mounted it on the gas tank, and can't seem to eliminate the rough spots. The roughness shows up when the programmer goes 'yellow' (fuel advanced), I've managed to reduce the 'run flat' dropouts by dropping the 'yellow fuel' level, and raising the yellow 'enterance' rpm to the cutoff point, also lowered the red area enterance point down. But it's still not perfect, which is a bit of a nuisance. The bike should pull perfectly smooth.

Note: Have added/remove the usual stage 1 stuff... (airbox, FMF Q4, other stuff removed), but I'm pretty sure the mid-throttle performance was the same when the bike was stock.

Does anyone else have this? Widespread or ???

Does yours change sound? mine the difference is imperceptible in the exhaust note or feel of acceleration, there is just this nasty feel through the foot pegs that sends up an alarm in the back of my head and gives me images of damaged motor bits.
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?    Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:08 pm

>"Does yours change sound? mine the difference is imperceptible in the exhaust note or feel of acceleration, there is just this nasty feel through the foot pegs that sends up an alarm in the back of my head and gives me images of damaged motor bits."

That's what I first looked at when the bike was stock. I was thinking the drive chain was jumping... or something wasn't right in the drive. After r unning the bike for awile, and buying the pipe and programmer found it wasn't drive issue, but was fuel related. I found that I can make the situation far worse (richen the yellow)... or a bit reduced. Seems to me like the injector/or ecu is not quite right.

Should post this over on ADV too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?    Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Nasty feel through the pegs when lugging?
Page 1 of 1