Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

SKidplate/Rad Guard

Go down 
+24
rydnseek
kitfox22
WRRSam
Jäger
DirtFarmer
john92
skierd
asheville thumper
fasteer
0007onWR
inspector
INSTIGATOR
BPG
shredak
Fargo_Wolf
mwakey
mtb
Krabill
boogn1sh
spikehead
Don T
Louisbiker
YamWOW!
SheWolf
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
inspector

inspector

SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyTue May 19, 2009 11:30 pm

boogy...Need a pic of the unit installed underneath. Or you could just tell me. I'm not digging any bolt heads popping through. From what I have seen the bolts are exposed, meaning I would grind them down.
DSA is also having a sale ricochet and I'm liking the price.

boogn1sh wrote:
Installed a Ricochet bash plate tonight. Bolted up in 72 seconds, heavy freaking duty, high quality, A+. It definitely changed the sound of the engine though. Sounds even "raspier" than before.
Doesn't sound right to my ears, but ppl tell me this is a 4-stroke and they sound like that? I love the feel of the m e l l o w power, but the sound is just not right. Guess I could try making ring-ding sounds in my head while riding dunno
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyWed May 20, 2009 12:09 am

mtb wrote:
yes sir I did.... the filter was BLACK... and I could even see some residue at the base of the pump Rolling Eyes

Looks a bit like this...
SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Dirty_filter

i only pump locally, and only 98 or V-power baldy

Sometimes when a fuel pump is going south it put's fine debris into the fuel, it circulates round and round from the pressure return and show's up in the filter, would explain why your pump sound's different, the bushing must have been failing
Do you have high sulfur content in your fuel? there's a lot of nickle silver in these bikes and it does not like sulphur
Back to top Go down
fasteer

fasteer

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 pm

are there any other rad gaurds available or is the 'Force' the only option?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Unabiker makes one and I think Flatland also does, but they don't really compare IMO to the Force.

fasteer

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 1:07 am

I emailed Unabiker; they don't have a rad guard for the WR250R yet, but are planning to do one.
I have their gaurds on the DRZ, pretty good stuff.

Just going from the photos on the Flatland website , it looks like the rear bracket has no triangulation, so will just fold under impact.
Looks like it blocks the rad-fan, too.
At only $45, it's priced nice.
Does anyone have one & want to comment? Crash-tested it yet?

Photos on the Force website: it looks like the triangulation on the rear brace is much better.
Pricey.
Without actually seeing any of them, looks like the Force is the way to go.
Thanks, SheWolf.
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 8:49 am

Just received my Force Rad guard yesterday and install was a breeze. Took about ten days from receiving payment to arive on my doorstep. Guard looks good and seems sturdier than some other brands I've used in the past. Hope I never have to test it!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:10 am

It's kept my rad from busting up and taken some heavy hits. Everything is still straight and no cracks or leaks anywhere. Awesome guard. thumb

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 12:23 pm

SheWolf wrote:
It's kept my rad from busting up and taken some heavy hits. Everything is still straight and no cracks or leaks anywhere. Awesome guard. thumb

That's great to hear!! Top notch quality. I think everybody with an WR should get one.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 pm

I just ordered a Force radiator guard (anodized) and already have a Thumpertalk/Ricochet skidplate.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 6:19 am

I just installed the flatland radiator guard and skidplate. The radiator guard seems like it will do fine in a crash but I have yet to "test" that theory. It does wrap around and I think it will help with side impacts. It was nice to get rid of all that plastic crap. Any piece I can get that removes stock plastic is always a plus. My next purchase will prob be the zeta front sprocket guard that gets rid of the mud collector that's on there now. back on topic, I think the flatland guard is pretty well made.
Back to top Go down
DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 9:02 am

john92 wrote:
I just installed the flatland radiator guard and skidplate. The radiator guard seems like it will do fine in a crash but I have yet to "test" that theory. It does wrap around and I think it will help with side impacts. It was nice to get rid of all that plastic crap. Any piece I can get that removes stock plastic is always a plus. My next purchase will prob be the zeta front sprocket guard that gets rid of the mud collector that's on there now. back on topic, I think the flatland guard is pretty well made.

+1, and it allows greater air flow. The back brace was key, more support and getting rid of the plastic cocoon.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 3:24 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Who has what on their scoot?

I have a B&B Offroad skiddy and a Force Industries Rad Guard. I went one step further with the rad guard and added metal mesh bug screen to stop my fins getting plugged up with the critters.

You actually have their bash plate, not their skid plate, correct?

I see B&B advertises as "Foam insulated from frame". After hearing of others having concerns with noise/resonation issues with their plates, I was mindful that you apparently didn't have any of those problems (or maybe you just didn't care?). Does your plate have some sort of noise damping material attached to it somehow or other?

I've emailed B&B and we'll see what they say as to the current status of their bash plate. On the other hand, Ricochet is selling their bash plate for $87, compared to $177 AUS for the B&B, which would be quite a bit less expensive. I think the price saved on the plate and shipping should more than compensate for having to put some sound deadening material in there somewhere.

Has anyone seen both the Ricochet and the B&B and able to offer if either offers more protection on the wing portions than the others? I am mindful of HF in one of his threads mentioning tearing one of his hoses off and then welding an extra bit on whatever he is running.

I also see they have a master cylinder guard they sell for $38 AUS. And a rad guard which doesn't appear to be as sturdy as the Force - at least from their pictures - and more expensive.

I'll have to think about that. I'm not a farkling kind of guy inclined to put guards everywhere they look cool because something might conceivably happen. But somewhere between the no brainer guards for my type of riding like bash plates and radiator guards and the unlikely stuff like disk guards I'll probably never need for my type of riding, there's some others I should probably have as well. Have to go out and have a good look at the bike and figure out what I should be reasonably concerned about damaging. Murphy's law excluded, of course.

How did you install the wire mesh, anyways? I don't think I'll really need it around here, but interested in how you secured it behind the guard.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 7:45 pm

john92 wrote:
My next purchase will prob be the zeta front sprocket guard that gets rid of the mud collector that's on there now.

I've got one, its a nice little piece. Makes its a lot easier to clean the chain after a ride too.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Jäger wrote:

And a rad guard which doesn't appear to be as sturdy as the Force - at least from their pictures - and more expensive.

I have a B&B rad guard and bashplate both are very strong. The rad guard has louvers behind and extra support bars so is very thick. It adds 720g and the bashpate adds 1,3kg.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm

I've got the B&B. Top notch stuff. thumb

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I've got the B&B. Top notch stuff. thumb

Made in Australia. cheers wings
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Bloody right mate! The Force Rad Guard I have came from there too. B&B didn't have the rad guard in production when I got mine at the time. lurk

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Any new radiator guard options out there? I like the radiator brace that is on SMJ but it's 99 EURO to buy and 35 EURO to ship. I'm much more interested in protecting from side impacts like tip overs at low speed and the wrap around guards don't look like they'd do much to help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:48 pm

I contacted Works Performance about Rad guards and skid plates and they said there are no plans to produce them... Bummer because I have always used them and they are top notch products...
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:21 am

SpaGuru wrote:
I contacted Works Performance about Rad guards and skid plates and they said there are no plans to produce them... Bummer because I have always used them and they are top notch products...
I have the Force Accessories rad guard; really skookum. Haven't crash tested it yet, but have pushed and shoved on it once it was installed and it feels about as solid as you could reasonably expect unless you want to weld angle iron on for protection or whatever. I think if you crash hard enough to damage your radiator with that guard on, you're probably going to have LOTS of other problems to go with it. Price is very right as well.

Also very happy with the Ricochet skid plate. Price once again is right and I can't see anything to complain about regarding the protection it provides.

I'd buy both again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 pm

I got my Zeta skidplate off of ebay and it arrived today. I'll let you all know how it installs/performs.

SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Pictur15

SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Pictur14
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Install is straightforward and quick with the Zeta skidplate. The kit came with aluminum spacers which I swapped for Nylon ones based on the feedback from other forum users on rattle noise. The fit is quite tight to the frame especially on the left side which worried me during the fit check but looks fine now that it is installed. I think I'll be taking it on and off a bit because it really adds a lot of noise to the bike. The motor noise kicks right up at the rider and doesn't sound that great. Sorry no photos...broken camera.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 am

I finally got around to taking photos of my rad guard and bashplate. Both are B&B.
SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Dscn4913
SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Dscn4911
SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Dscn4912
Back to top Go down
kitfox22

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Looks good. Any noise issue with the B&B guard ?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 9:48 pm

kitfox22 wrote:
Looks good. Any noise issue with the B&B guard ?

Thanks.

No noise problems from the guard and the bashplate has foam between the frame and it's self so no noise there either.
P.S I havn't ridden on road with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SKidplate/Rad Guard   SKidplate/Rad Guard - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

SKidplate/Rad Guard
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next