Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Too Many Toys

2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low? Empty
PostSubject: 2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low?   2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 10:09 pm

I have a new '12 WRR. Added/modded all the usually stuff but am waiting to do the gearing change until my Kenda tires arrive. I have already obtained a 47T rear for a 13/47 setup. But in riding the WRR today for the 1st time, with stock gearing, it seems that 1st is pretty short w/ the stock 13/43. I'm afraid that going to the 13/47 will render 1st gear useless? And I realize that the motor will break-in & wake up a litte bit with miles.

I'm a 198 lb rider 'dry', so maybe 215 with gear. This bike will end up in Arizona doing maybe 50% two lane paved & dirt roads, 50% moderate off-roading. Nothing super technical like huge rock gardens, etc. No long trips, maybe 100 mile days at most. Will not be carrying luggage or adding hard panniers. What are the opinions here on the 13/47 for those conditions?

As far as performance improvements my bike has a FMF Q4, Mega Bomb header, PC V, AIS removed & the airbox flapper mod.

Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: 2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low?   2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 am

I was thinking of going with the same gearing when I get a spare set of dirt wheels & tires for my WR-X & try some off-road rides. You should be just right for 50-50 riding. The gearing will help on the tight off-road stuff I think.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: 2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low?   2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 am

I feel that 13/47 much better matches the power output of the engine.
The stock gearing is on the tall side in order to pass required sound tests while the bike design is being finalized before it's produced on the assembly line.

With lower gearing like 13/47, all of the gear ratios will feel shorter and closer together, which is the whole point of gearing the bike down.
If you feel it's not to your liking, you can put it back to where it was as it's not something permanent.

Not implying you're one of them, but the guy I sold my WR-250X to last year came from a big bike like a ZX-14R, a bike that can probably crack 90mph in 1st gear.
After he test rode my bike, he expressed concern about how 1st gear seemed so short, and that, ..."it feel like I'll have to shift out of 1st gear before I get across an intersection...".
I said that sounds normal enough to me while riding a 250cc bike. :)
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: 2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low?   2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 7:00 am

I just went down one tooth in the front..........down to 12. I am running my 250R up some pretty rocky hill climbs and through some serious mud holes and I am happy with the change. I can still get between 70 and 80 on the interstate if I need it. The 80mph will happen if I am going down hill and have a tail wind. Peace YAM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low?   2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low? Empty

Back to top Go down

2nd thoughts on my WRR gearing choice, will 1st be too low?
Page 1 of 1