Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How about a new subframe?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

How about a new subframe? Empty
PostSubject: How about a new subframe?   How about a new subframe? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:54 pm

So here's an idea related to the custom rack issue.

I don't have my bike here to look at as I write this, so I'm kind of going on memory.

Instead of a rack that bolts to the subframe, if you're starting design from scratch, how about going the whole nine yards and building a whole new subframe with easy on/off points for the tail rack and side components for carrying saddlebags, Rotopacks, etc?

I'm not in the fabricating business, but the subframe just bolts in there anyways, doesn't it? So why not carbon fibre or aluminum or whatever, replicate the shape and existing attachment points of the subframe, and then design the extra attachment points where you would want them for attaching the other components? Say... threaded sockets along the leg of the subframe where sideracks and/or the tail rack would simply bolt in - configure with just a tail rack, or tail rack along with side panels for bags, fuel cans? On/off of either side rack or the tail rack would be nothing more than a rachet and a couple of bolts.

I can't find anywhere in my owner's manual where it specifies the maximum weight Yamaha says should be put on the subframe, but if what I've read elsewhere is correct, it isn't a lot. So the replacement subframe/rack could certainly be engineered for considerably more strength than the existing subframe.

If you're following the custom rack thread elsewhere here, you'll have already read that the materials engineer/fabricator I'm working with on trying to come up with a rack specifically designed for the WR has lots of other priorities in his life right now. So I can't even guess what a replacement subframe/rack would cost at this point. I'm wondering if it would be all that more expensive than that Cycleracks.com rack - not much more material when you think of it.

I really like the idea of not having a rack per se at all - just a subframe with threaded attachment points that tail racks and side racks would bolt directly to in just a couple of minutes.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: How about a new subframe?   How about a new subframe? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Well, like you said it's meant for ease of use. As long as it doesn't weigh much more then it wouldn't be a bad proposition. Beats having to weld stuff on to make it work.

Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: How about a new subframe?   How about a new subframe? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 am

SheWolf wrote:
Well, like you said it's meant for ease of use. As long as it doesn't weigh much more then it wouldn't be a bad proposition. Beats having to weld stuff on to make it work.
I don't know what the subframe weighs - but I bet the Deranged Hermit does... However, if anything, the new subfame might possibly weigh less. He was saying things like "Would carbon fibre make you unhappy?"

My guess is any materials/manufacturing engineer should be able to build a subframe/rack just as light and strong or stronger than Yamaha's, that would also provide quick on/off attachment points for racks and whatnot. Of course, they could also build it one hell of a lot lighter - but then you'd probably be playing with unobtainium and the attendant high costs.

I think I have access to a WR subframe that hasn't been damaged except for the finish. Maybe I'll see if I can muckle on to that and ship it to Paul.

BTW, I already told you - I weaseled my way out of the Merritt thing. Somebody else gets to enjoy five days of Country Critter music.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: How about a new subframe?   How about a new subframe? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 12:15 am

I just took a few seconds to pull up a picture of the subframe assembly in Yamaha's parts catalogue.

Got reminded it isn't quite as simple as just a few pieces of tubing with attachment holes here and there.

The short story is that unless somebody was making these in bulk, I don't believe any kind of fab shop is going to be able to make a replacement subframe at a reasonable price for most people. Not when the reason they're doing it for is a rack, anyways.

Hmmmm...

Well... like some other aftermarket bits and pieces, it might be possible as a "one for one" deal. The manufacturer takes a new/undamaged subframe, fabs on the attachment points, reinforcing pieces, etc. The purchaser buys the altered subframe plus the add on bits that make up the rack, with a deposit or surety to cover the cost of a subframe. Ships in their old subframe to replace it, gets deposit back. Then, however, the manufacturer has to consider the possibility he's going to get a damaged subframe back.

Or... with a fast enough turnaround time, you send in your subframe, the attachment bits and any reinforcements you want get welded in, and back it comes with the additional rack bits.

Still not ideal, eh?

I like the idea, but I don't know how it would work on a commercial scale.
Back to top Go down
PQRS...

PQRS...

PostSubject: Re: How about a new subframe?   How about a new subframe? EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 11:49 pm

id like to see an aluminum light weight sub frame.... wings
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: How about a new subframe?   How about a new subframe? EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 am

PQRS... wrote:
id like to see an aluminum light weight sub frame.... wings

The current one weighs 7 lbs - that's with all the bolts and crap. Whaddya figger you're going to get it down to?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How about a new subframe?   How about a new subframe? Empty

Back to top Go down

How about a new subframe?
Page 1 of 1