Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??

Go down 
+9
kbike
gofar
Coop
Arkmage
bigg
Jäger
mucker
GusinCA
saddletramp
13 posters
AuthorMessage
saddletramp

Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? Empty
PostSubject: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 6:39 pm

What do you use, and why? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one system versus another in your opinion?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Since I ride mostly off road, I don't think carrying anything too heavy in side bags would work, they would just rattle to pieces from the strain of all the bumps.

So what I did was mount a small tail bag (from Yamaha), and I use a backpack. As a bonus, when I'm casually riding on the street, I can lean back and the backpack leans against the tailbag and acts like a seat backrest. Very nice...
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 8:26 pm

I feel a backpack is the way to go...at least start.
I got a blackhawk 3 day tactical pack, and it is the toughest piece of gear I ride with. It will hold a lot of volume and weight...though it's mostly empty, on regular days.
I have a place to pack anything...I've started started my survival/tool kit...even that only occupies a mostly empty pack...so it's ready to take storage whenever.
Plus the 3L hydra pack can be filled with ice and water, that will make a cool spot on your back for a couple hours...

By far, my favourite and most useful accessory.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 am

GusinCA wrote:
Since I ride mostly off road, I don't think carrying anything too heavy in side bags would work, they would just rattle to pieces from the strain of all the bumps.
Three years of dragging around everything but the kitchen sink in my Giant Loop leads me to say I disagree with you on that score. In fact, I haven't even killed my DSLR yet, or any of the lenses in all that time bouncing around in my tank bag..

Part of the recipe for success is knowing how to pack properly (or going through the learning the hard way process). Another part is luggage that allows you to tighten everything up guitar string tight. And the third part is not crashing on your kit all the time (but that applies to a backpack as well as luggage).

Most day trips, a Wolfman tank bag on the front and a three gallon fuel blivet on the tail rack does the trick for me. Any left over bits and pieces will stow away in the enduro jacket somewhere.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:56 am

Part of it too is the desire to keep some wieght off the bike. When I have on a backpack, it feels more balanced to me.

However, I never go for more than a day ride (I don't bring overnight gear with me, just water, food, survival gear, different gloves, etc.).

If I did, a side bag would work well, I've just never tried it. Love the tail bag, though. Gives me just that little bit extra room I need...
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:43 am

GusinCA wrote:
Part of it too is the desire to keep some wieght off the bike. When I have on a backpack, it feels more balanced to me.
There's no question (I don't think, anyways) that you do notice weight that you put on the bike. But, for me, I don't think that a bit of food and water, some gloves, and a survival kit makes all that much difference - how many pounds are we talking about?

At the end of the day, that weight is going to be carried somewhere. For me at least, I'd rather the weight was riding on the bike than riding on me. Usually I don't carry water as there's usually lots of glacier-fresh water available where I ride. But when there isn't, I do have a small military hydration pack (not "tactical", just free issue) that I wear that has just enough room as well for some elk jerky and some other nibbly bits. I don't even know it's there, so it's all good.

I doubt either option has any real advantage over the other until the weight you're talking about starts getting up there. I do like being able to simply reach into my tank bag for my DSLR to take pictures without having to shed a pack, get off the bike, etc. Ditto for my little binoculars, maps, spare goggles, sunglasses, etc. And my power lead runs into my tank bag, where it's recharging a spare GPS and/or battery charger. But you can carry that stuff in a backpack as well, except for the powered accessories option.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 pm

for day rides I always use a backpack. Everything I need fits in nicely and keeps the bike feeling great. I don't know if it's just me, but any weight I put on the bike can be felt in the handling. Maybe this effect is amplified by the fact that I am very light dunno but even with a 5 kg weight at the back the bike doesn't give me the confident feel and feedback it usually does.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Yes, I feel the same way. I can feel the difference the tail bag makes, so side bags in hard core off road riding wouldn't work for me personally.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:52 pm

I use a GIVI box for onroad stuff. I used to use a back back (still do but I put it inside the givi) but it makes my back uncomfortably hot.

For offroad trail riding I generally don't carry much so I stuff it into my camel back.

For dual sport riding I'm planning on a giant loop, but haven't bought anything yet.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 pm

I can't wear a backpack (two back surgeries). I had a Givi top box but I am short and had trouble mounting the bike with it on there. My last bike, BMW F650GS had hard side cases and top box and I loved it. It's nice being able to lock your stuff up. I think I might get some soft side bags for the WRR for day trips and commuting. Right now it only has a small pelican box mounted to carry my wallet, cell phone, etc., when on the bike and gloves, sun glasses, ect., when off it.
Back to top Go down
gofar

gofar

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I just got the Wolfman Enduro Tank bag on friday and put on almost 450 miles with it this weekend shooting some pictures of landscapes with my DSLR. AWESOME BAG! Very glad i bought this!!

I was able to fit my camera, 3 Cliff bars, wallet, and phone in the bag with some room to spare. It is amazing and so convenient having everything infront of you instead of taking off your back pack for everything. I just bought my camelbak along for the water. It does take up about 4" from the front of your seat which does take some getting used to but all in all i see it as a great buy. It was between this and saving for an exhaust.

Very glad i bought the tank bag. You can also unclip the bag and take it with you if you wish. It is very well made and seems very durable. I bought it from rockymountian.

Good luck! thumb
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Your DSLR can handle off roading? Or are you mostly on smooth surfaces?
Back to top Go down
gofar

gofar

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 12:37 pm

It seems to hold up quite well actually. I am mostly on the road but in some areas where I'm able to do some trail riding(over fallen trees/making my own path) I take advantage of it! I had taken a small "blanket" to help cushion the bottom of the tank. The camera seems to becushioned very well. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to take small jumps with this setup
Back to top Go down
kbike

kbike

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:07 am

I have a camelbak backpack for water, sport bars, and a place to put a liner or jacket. I have a wolfman toolbag on the rear fender with tools, a wolfman enduro tankbag for gloves, camera, and power for a GPS and phone. A front fender bag for a 21" tube and tire irons. I have a 4.7gal tank, so a little extra weight isn't a problem for me. I now have a 21" front wheel, therefore a 21" tube.
I used to carry my tools in a fanny pack, but I'd rather not have that weight on me while I'm standing.

I just bought the wolfman E-12 saddlebags and a medium drybag for multiple day trips, but haven't used them yet. With this setup I need to takeoff the rear toolbag and put some tools in the drybag.

Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? CIMG3406-M
Back to top Go down
jacekrsx

jacekrsx

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:05 am

I have a set of wolfman Day Tripper Saddle Bags, Peak Tail Bag, and sometime I wear Enduro Duffel bag. I really like this set, it's so convenient and you can fit a lot of stuff to this bags
Back to top Go down
YamahaTN

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Jäger wrote:
GusinCA wrote:
Three years of dragging around everything but the kitchen sink in my Giant Loop leads me to say I disagree with you on that score. In fact, I haven't even killed my DSLR yet, or any of the lenses in all that time bouncing around in my tank bag..

Part of the recipe for success is knowing how to pack properly (or going through the learning the hard way process). Another part is luggage that allows you to tighten everything up guitar string tight. And the third part is not crashing on your kit all the time (but that applies to a backpack as well as luggage).

What he said. I am carrying tools, etc. in my Giant Loop Mojave and it is on the WR no matter what sort of trails we are riding. I've ridden it on some rocky trails that only a goat would use and have had no problems. I also have a rear rack with a rotopax on it for extra fuel. I've had some minor drops and everything has held up fine. I am also wearing a back pack (Klim) with water and some other small supplies/tools. I tried the little Wolfman number plate bag and I was not impressed with it. Have never tried any sort of a tank bag and I am not sure that is a good idea. Your best dirtbike riders will tell you to sit as close to the tank as possible and then sit closer to the tank. Course.......I am standing most of the time when I am on the trails.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:51 am

GusinCA wrote:
Your DSLR can handle off roading? Or are you mostly on smooth surfaces?
My DSLR has survived not just traveling in my tank bag for many thousands of miles (all my pics here were taken with that camera), but more than a few hours bouncing around stuffed in my ruck in a LAV.

But... it's a Pentax, and they make a tough camera.
Back to top Go down
DragonNester

DragonNester

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am

A camel back and a Wolfman tank bag take care of my extended off roading needs.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 am

From a commuters stand point and one that used a backpack for about a year, i love my new tank/tail bag for 2 reasons. 1 its a lot cooler. FL this time of year is hot as balls (and humid as shit) and even though i have a mesh jacket, I wasn't getting enough air flow. 2nd is the rain. My backpack isnt waterproof and the new bag i got has a rain cover thats kept my stuff dry now on 2 pretty good down pours. It all comes down to what you need to carry and what works best for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??   Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Backpack versus tankbag or panniers for day trips??
Page 1 of 1