Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Things I hate about my WR250R

Go down 
+28
Cruiser_805
RimBenty
greer
john92
Dancamp
dc4stroke
adamoto
calico jack
Matty
xcel
yellowredlight
hughtwg
gatorfan
deerHater
M1A Rifleman
Medski
ArmyStrongMD
WRRSam
SheWolf
texascycle
gordo5
Twistagrip
flatboarder
skierd
MeefZah
dirtytrixx400
YZEtc
Jäger
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Matty

Matty

things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 6:04 pm

xcel wrote:

I wonder what we will see new in mid to late 2012 as that is not that far away?

Hopefully a big brother.... "fingers crossed"
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 pm

The 2011 Yamaha models are now up on the www.yamaha-motor.com website.
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:53 am

I love my bike but if I could change things it would have a better seat, bigger tank, tach, and gear indicator. Just my .02
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:36 pm

calico jack wrote:
I love my bike but if I could change things it would have a better seat, bigger tank, tach, and gear indicator. Just my .02

I love the fact that it doesn't have all those things. It's supposed to be as close to a dirtbike as possible except made for on-road use. It reminds me of riding my '78 YZ80. That thing didn't have any instrumentation. You just pulled it out of the garage, opened the fuel cap, looked down in to see if it had fuel/oil mix Very happy , kickstarted it, and rode it 'til it ran out of gas. It's about pure fun and adventure, not refinement and comfort. If I wanted to ride a lazyboy I would buy a Ultra Classic. To me, the WR250R/X is what it is. I knew what it had and didn't have when I bought it. I knew as soon as I sat on it and got that little kid feeling again, that it was coming home with me. I don't hate anything about my WR250X except getting off of it. Just my $0.02 thumb
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

baldy

I have enjoyed your trip down memory lane but we obviously did not buy our bikes for the same reason. While I do enjoy ringing its neck every once in a while, I also like to load it up and go for multi day camping trips. That is why I do not like the seat, the fuel tank, or not having a tach. When I was a kid I had a little Yamaha that I got for Christmas and I used it in exactly the way you described but not my R2. I would like to have it around for a long time.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 2:47 pm

texascycle wrote:
The only thing I hate about my wrr is that I don't get to ride it enough ... GAHHHH

Ditto. 100%

Does anybody here remember the DT175, CL350, XT500? Though we thought they were great at the time. They don't hold a candle to what we're riding today. I have no complaints.

Now see......If most of you were Harley riders, you would just embrace the fact that the factory can not produce a machine that fits/suits everybody. And wouldn't complain about this or that......You'ld just open that pocketbook and hand the man the card and move on...........

I've started modding mine fer sur. And won't have a problem if I wind up with a pile of barely used tires in the corner before I find the ones that I like. Or a barely used seat on the shelf. I've ridden long enough to know I'm gonna tinker with it till I get it the way I like. I'll probably get a set of X wheels and tires.......whether I use then enough to make it worthwile.................. who can tell. You wouldn't imagine the boxes of barely used Harley Crossbones parts I have. I thought the guy I sold my GB500 to was going to faint when he say all the boxes of stock parts I had kept, along with all the documentation.

NOPE NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL!
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm

calico jack wrote:
baldy

I have enjoyed your trip down memory lane but we obviously did not buy our bikes for the same reason. While I do enjoy ringing its neck every once in a while, I also like to load it up and go for multi day camping trips. That is why I do not like the seat, the fuel tank, or not having a tach. When I was a kid I had a little Yamaha that I got for Christmas and I used it in exactly the way you described but not my R2. I would like to have it around for a long time.

tough Let me get you a tissue. I wasn't trying to offend you, I was just stating my opinion like everyone else on this forum. And what does a tach have to do with multi-day camping trips. If you can't tell when you need to shift by the sound and feel of your engine, then you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle at all. If you researched this bike before you bought it, then you would have known it has a small fuel capacity, and if you wanted a bike that could do multi-day camping trips(which these bikes can still do) then maybe you bought the wrong bike. Like I said my intention was not too offend, but judging by your response, you came out on the offense.
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Let me remind you that this is the "Things I hate about my WR250R" thread and those are the things that I do hate about it. Dont make this personal! I responded to the forum question and you qouted me like I was wrong for not liking things about MY bike. Nobody asked you for your opinion about my likes or dislikes... if you want to take it to that level then I dont believe that doing it in a motorcycle forum is the way to go about it. Now if you wish to meet face to face one day then I would be happy to address my issues with you face to face. If not then I suggest you drop it.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:42 pm

calico jack wrote:
Let me remind you that this is the "Things I hate about my WR250R" thread and those are the things that I do hate about it. Dont make this personal! I responded to the forum question and you qouted me like I was wrong for not liking things about MY bike. Nobody asked you for your opinion about my likes or dislikes... if you want to take it to that level then I dont believe that doing it in a motorcycle forum is the way to go about it. Now if you wish to meet face to face one day then I would be happy to address my issues with you face to face. If not then I suggest you drop it.

topes
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Ahem...

I did specifically title the thread as being about the things I hated about my WR when I started it. Doesn't mean people won't talk about all the things they like about it, but it was specifically about the things people don't like. If the things others don't like aren't a problem for somebody else, then hey, you win there, but it is a stretch to tell people their thoughts toward their bike are wrong and they should be happy with it.

And I have no use for a tach either, but that's just me.

And if there is to be any mutually agreed upon discussions of sessions of wall to wall counselling, they need to go in the PM area.

It might just be me, but I suspect you have more in common than you disagree on regarding the bikes you have chosen.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm

What I dislike about he bike is only situational and is related to long distance travel.

The tank, on long sections without gas station. Where there are gas stations I like the small tank.

Beside that it fits exactly with what I expected when I bought it.
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Jäger wrote:
Ahem...

I did specifically title the thread as being about the things I hated about my WR when I started it. Doesn't mean people won't talk about all the things they like about it, but it was specifically about the things people don't like. If the things others don't like aren't a problem for somebody else, then hey, you win there, but it is a stretch to tell people their thoughts toward their bike are wrong and they should be happy with it.

And I have no use for a tach either, but that's just me.

And if there is to be any mutually agreed upon discussions of sessions of wall to wall counselling, they need to go in the PM area.

It might just be me, but I suspect you have more in common than you disagree on regarding the bikes you have chosen.

Jager, I did not mean any disrespect to the thread you started. I did state my 1 dislike in my post...... having to get off the bike. I also did not mean any disrespect to the poster. I think he just took it the wrong way. I never disrespected him personally in my post. I did state some things I LIKE about my WR, but is that ever a bad thing even in this thread? scratch Anyway, my 1 dislike for my WRX is when the ride comes to an end each day.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Overall, I love the damn thing.Although I've changed around half the shit that came on it. I guess in stock form there is alot of things we dislike a little bit. But then there are others who weren't bitten in the ass by the farkle-bug and simply enjoy the bike the way it is. Oh wait, the word was HATE not dislike. I think of anything that you hate on this bike, there is a solution to make it better if you don't mind dumping some more cash into it. While I've been ranting, I just can't think of anything I can put the word HATE onto for this bike. If there was something I truly hated, I would have sold the damn thing because it probably would have already gotten me hurt. horse

OK, I guess I hate the weight compared to a "real" (sarcastic) dirt bike or the non-Japanese dual sports/street legal enduros. But I usually only cuss about it when I'm picking it up, trying to get out from under it, or pulling the ass-end out of deep mud. I guess that's my biggest issue really because there's better seats,bigger gas tanks, new sprockets, big bore kits, suspension upgrades, etc, etc. but there is only so much you can do to reduce the weight and I've done all the reasonable methods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:11 pm

my biggest beef is the throttle response/jerky throttle. Never have I had so much trouble maintaining steady throttle on a bike, and I've been riding/racing bikes for years.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Jerky Throttle   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:13 am

A fuel programmer helped in my case, I think most folks say the same. Also be sure to take the extra slop out of the drive chain and the throttle cables. That'll help more than you expect.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:00 am

greer wrote:
A fuel programmer helped in my case, I think most folks say the same.
++ Completed cured it for me.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 10:34 pm

I was working on the bike this afternoon and realized the one thing that annoys me is how many different tools are needed for the fasteners. To remove the tank I need an 8mm socket for the seat and a hex key and Phillips screwdriver for the rest of it. The rear fender needs a 10mm socket and you need a hex key and a Phillips screwdriver just to change the air filter.

I also have a KTM and can strip off all of the bodywork including both fenders and tank with just an 8mm socket. No tools required for the air filter.

I'm think going to look into replacing as many fasteners as I can to a common type.
Back to top Go down
Cruiser_805

Cruiser_805

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 pm

the things i hate about my wrr is gotta be the gas light it come on about every 100 miles witch im barley starting to tear it up and i need some more horse power the air flapper is stuiped i topped my bike out at 86 mph and thats completly stock im going to add some aftermarkeyt parts not sure where to start i deffenitly gonna get ride of the air flapper on the intake i want it to sound louder too i like fmf brand? and do i need the header pipe before i add the exhaust?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 12:56 am

Hate that it's heavy.
Love that it has a smoother ride because it's a little heavy.
Hate that it has a small tank.
Love that it was a 10 minute job to put a bigger one on.
Hate the stock seat.
Love that Corbin makes an amazing seat.
Hate the stock tires.
Love that Michelin makes the "hard to believe it's street legal" AC10 knobby.
Hate the stock gearing.
Love that putting a bigger sprocket and chain turns it into a hill climbing machine.
Hate the stock seat height.
Love that a simple suspension adjustment and seat change lowers it to the perfect height.

What can I say, it's a 250cc, barely street legal motocycle. The only thing that can't be modified to one's exact preference is the wieght.

To me it's the perfect machine.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:53 am

Since this thread got resurrected, lemme add some too it Very happy

Those saying they wish the bike had a 7th gear, I am here to say it wouldn't pull it. I know it "feels" like the motor would be able to, but believe me it wouldn't. I had a 14 tooth sprocket, bike ran fine. Then, on top of that I increased tire size and my 5th gear had the same ratio as the stock geared 6th gear. At that point, my 6th was what a 7th gear could or would have been. Well... the bike didn't have enough power for it. Even at 70mph, the bike required close to full throttle to maintain speed and the mileage went to crap.
It is my opinion that the stock gearing is darn near perfect for the street. Any lower and the bike wouldn't be highway worthy. One tooth front higher is ok and you don't notice much loss of acceleration, but more than that and you've turned the bike into a 5 speed.

Now for what I don't like:

I don't like that there are no aftermarket cam options
I don't like that we can't move up the rev limiter
I would like the option to cam the bike, push the rev limit to 14k, and have it produce ~35hp at about 12500rpms instead of peaking around 9k. If an R1 can spin like that and make power like that reliably, why cant we?

Oh! I also don't like that on the stock WR250X, the neutral indicator wire is hanging on the bottom of the engine un-guarded. Destroyed mine offroading.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 9:25 am

oic0 wrote:
I would like the option to cam the bike, push the rev limit to 14k, and have it produce ~35hp at about 12500rpms instead of peaking around 9k. If an R1 can spin like that and make power like that reliably, why cant we?

I'd guess that much of that is because you wouldn't be stressing the R1 engine at max power at max RPM as often as you would the WR-250R.
I also believe if you did this to the WR-250R, the maintenance schedule wouldn't be as lax as it is in the Owner's Manual.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 3:21 pm

YZEtc wrote:
oic0 wrote:

I'd guess that much of that is because you wouldn't be stressing the R1 engine at max power at max RPM as often as you would the WR-250R.
I also believe if you did this to the WR-250R, the maintenance schedule wouldn't be as lax as it is in the Owner's Manual.

While true, if it were offered as an aftermarket option I would still do it. 25% more power would be darn nice. I also don't really think I would run it at much higher RPMs. If I shifted the same as I do now in all cirumstances it would still be faster. Say I run it up through the gears now, optimum power is between 7.8k and 11k. Problem is the power falls off after 9k. If it kept on going up instead of falling off there, and you still shifted at 11k, it would be a faster bke. Meanwile you would have the option for even more by letting it rev out some more... or you could take it easy and do less maintenance.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Give me the stock motor any day.
A stock Yamaha motor never dies, even when you're by yourself in the middle of nowhere.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:48 pm

thumb Can't beat that, so why mess with it?

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Yep. I have a stock Rhino too, and my buddies Rhino is always breaking down, since he modded the heck out of it.

And he can't even take it to half the off road parks here because he doen't pass the noise regulations.

Stock rocks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things I hate about my WR250R   things - Things I hate about my WR250R - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Things I hate about my WR250R
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next