Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 10:07 am

Front fender mod.

Should I just start cutting my stock one? Or spend less than $30.00 (American) for a replacement?

This seems like a relatively cheap mod that I can sneak under the radar....especially if I just cut my stock fender.

Cutting is pretty final though. Yes, I can buy a stock replacement if it's ever a problem.

Apply some "peer pressure" here folks. What should I do?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 1:43 pm

You could do it and then show us how its done. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 4:34 pm

I'm pretty sure my Yamaha dealer charged me closer to $60 for a new fender. dddog Where did you find one for $30?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 5:00 pm

derm75 wrote:
I'm pretty sure my Yamaha dealer charged me closer to $60 for a new fender. dddog Where did you find one for $30?

After-market fenders. Not Yamaha replacement.

http://www.motostrano.com/bodywork.html

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 pm

I vote for cutting the stocker. Save your $$ for something else. Just trim it a little at a time until you get the right look. If you hack off too much to begin with you're stuck with it. I trimmed mine back 2" for starters and then trimmed off another 2" to get it where it is now. Mask it off with some tape first so you get it looking the way you want, then go at it.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 7:51 pm

What did you use to cut it? A dremel tool?

Yeah...I was thinking of making a template based on the stock front profile and sliding it back until I found the appropriate place to stop.
Sharpie in a line and look at it. If I like it...tape it off and start cutting with a Dremel.

This could happen....but it'll be late August or early September. Too much going on over the next few weeks.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 9:40 am

Ya, I did the same thing. I made a template of the front of the fender and moved it back about 2" and taped it off. Then I used a Dremel tool with a small cut off wheel. Then take a utility knife and clean up the burrs on the edge. Finish it off with some fine sandpaper. It looked good but later I hacked off another 2" and changed the shape of the front a little. Making it tapered more on the sides than the stock pattern. This is the way it looks now...
Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement LatestFenderTrim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 11:38 pm

The easiest, most accurate and quickest way to cut plastic is by putting a utility knife blade in a pair of vise grips and heat the blade orange with a torch and start cutting. Repeat the heating back to orange often... Cuts clean and like butter...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement   Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Cut Stock or Buy After-Market Replacement
Page 1 of 1