Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
unoR

unoR

Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues Empty
PostSubject: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey fellow wrr/x forum memebers,

My wrx started to a weird "table saw" like noise when I accelerate. The noise is coming from the clutch side, in the video below you can hear it when I tilt my head down to the side.

Also shifting has been getting really rough... I'll try changing the oil back to synthetic and see if that makes it better cause I had cheapo oil when I put it into storage but that didn't last to long thanks to global warming lol.

As for the clutch issue, when I first got the bike I was able to just slip the clutch for it to engage but now it engages almost at the end of lever travel? Should I be adjusting the lock nuts by the lever?

Anyways here's the video of the noise

Any advice, input, help would be greatly appreciated... summer is around the corner and I would hate of it to be in the shop when the temperatures get better.

** EDIT MARCH 2013 **

Well I purchased a new clutch kit, replaced it with new oil, adjusted the cable, push rod, free play & pretty much anything that had to do with the clutch. Safe to say she's purring like a champ again !

Last edited by unoR on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

>"As for the clutch issue, when I first got the bike I was able to
just slip the clutch for it to engage but now it engages almost at
the end of lever travel?
Should I be adjusting the lock nuts by the lever?>"

IMHO: Probably need to replace the clutch. Unless the cable is ratted, most clutches
don't need adjustment... until they are pretty much done.

Clutch replacement is pretty easy, there are a couple videos online.

Back to top Go down
unoR

unoR

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 3:10 pm

TwilightZone wrote:
>"As for the clutch issue, when I first got the bike I was able to
just slip the clutch for it to engage but now it engages almost at
the end of lever travel?
Should I be adjusting the lock nuts by the lever?>"

IMHO: Probably need to replace the clutch. Unless the cable is ratted, most clutches
don't need adjustment... until they are pretty much done.

Clutch replacement is pretty easy, there are a couple videos online.

Appreciate the reply, I forgot to mention the clutch / shifting issues happened before I put the bike put into storage... so I actually opened the clutch to check if the plates were worn and the discs were warped but they were both in spec. What I did wrong was removing the middle nut and when I put it all back together the lever really had no play. Pulling the lever was so hard to pull I opened it back up and adjusted it to the closest feel from what I remember before touching the clutch parts.

Does there have to be a specific adjustment for that middle nut / bolt? I also dropped by a dealer ship that had a wr250r in stock, brand new and the clutch lever was so hard to pull / small amount of play... is that how it came stock?
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 7:23 pm

>"What I did wrong was removing the middle nut"

You're talking about the middle nut from the clutch cover? (locknut)
There is a specific instruction for adjusting that.

Paraphrased from Shop Manual.

The clutch cable end has a mark... an arrow on the cable arm and line on the base.
Move the lever... which pushes on the clutch (i.e. remove slack in the system)
Loosen the lock nut on the push rod
Return or tighten the push rod until the marks align on the cable holder.
Hold the push rod don't move it.
Tighten the push rod lock nut. 5.8 ft lbs.

The clutch went back together in proper order????

Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 pm

That's a pretty full on noise to be able to hear it so well over the exhaust in the vid.... I'd suspect that it's definately something that you have put back together incorrectly when you had the clutch cover off. Did you also dis-assemble the actual clutch basket ? ( As asked by TwilightZone - did clutch disc's and steels go back in proper order, facing same sides as per removal etc ).

I doupt that it is just a simple case of being a "budget" oil issue - but in saying this did the "el-cheapo" oil at least have the JASO rating ? ( As in motor cycle wet clutch additive / approval ).

Also obviously correct clutch adjustment is very important - but there doesn't seem to be any sign of excessive clutch slip on the video. And it would have to be some real major clutch disc wear to get to the point of that sort of noise level i would think - ie long term neglect with gradual increase of noise - not overnight. In any case regardless of possible clutch wear rates or minor adjustment issues - the fact is that the bad noise occured directly after you had worked at that clutch area.

I'd say that it would be a very good idea to obtain a proper Workshop manual relating to the clutch assembly if you are going to continue working on the bike. I mean it's great to be able to ask questions here on this forum, and as such you will get some good assistance & tips.....But at the end of the day you are in the position of being able to see the bike in front of you - and by having access to a proper manual on hand will allow you to look at the relevant components with the correct step by step instructions etc.

Anyway as i've already mentioned i believe that this issue may have been a self induced fault - no having a go at you mate - just merely stating my thoughts as a qualified Auto Mech....Also as the " table saw" noise is so evident then there may well be "easy to see" signs of this when removing the clutch cover for re-inspection.

Cheers, Gavin.
Back to top Go down
unoR

unoR

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 8:28 pm

TwilightZone wrote:
>"What I did wrong was removing the middle nut"

You're talking about the middle nut from the clutch cover? (locknut)
There is a specific instruction for adjusting that.

Paraphrased from Shop Manual.

The clutch cable end has a mark... an arrow on the cable arm and line on the base.
Move the lever... which pushes on the clutch (i.e. remove slack in the system)
Loosen the lock nut on the push rod
Return or tighten the push rod until the marks align on the cable holder.
Hold the push rod don't move it.
Tighten the push rod lock nut. 5.8 ft lbs.

The clutch went back together in proper order????

GT-250 wrote:
That's a pretty full on noise to be able to hear it so well over the exhaust in the vid.... I'd suspect that it's definately something that you have put back together incorrectly when you had the clutch cover off. Did you also dis-assemble the actual clutch basket ? ( As asked by TwilightZone - did clutch disc's and steels go back in proper order, facing same sides as per removal etc ).

I doupt that it is just a simple case of being a "budget" oil issue - but in saying this did the "el-cheapo" oil at least have the JASO rating ? ( As in motor cycle wet clutch additive / approval ).

Also obviously correct clutch adjustment is very important - but there doesn't seem to be any sign of excessive clutch slip on the video. And it would have to be some real major clutch disc wear to get to the point of that sort of noise level i would think - ie long term neglect with gradual increase of noise - not overnight. In any case regardless of possible clutch wear rates or minor adjustment issues - the fact is that the bad noise occured directly after you had worked at that clutch area.

I'd say that it would be a very good idea to obtain a proper Workshop manual relating to the clutch assembly if you are going to continue working on the bike. I mean it's great to be able to ask questions here on this forum, and as such you will get some good assistance & tips.....But at the end of the day you are in the position of being able to see the bike in front of you - and by having access to a proper manual on hand will allow you to look at the relevant components with the correct step by step instructions etc.

Anyway as i've already mentioned i believe that this issue may have been a self induced fault - no having a go at you mate - just merely stating my thoughts as a qualified Auto Mech....Also as the " table saw" noise is so evident then there may well be "easy to see" signs of this when removing the clutch cover for re-inspection.

Cheers, Gavin.

The middle nut I'm talking about is the one in the middle of the bolts that hold the springs down and it is attached to the pressure plate and the push rod.

Yup I put the friction plates first / last and the clutch plates with the sharper edges facing out. I didn't touch the clutch basket I only removed the pressure plate, bolts that hold the springs down and the friction plates / clutch plates.

As for the oil I did use a oil that was approved for 4 stroke wet clutch motorcycle.

After putting the clutch parts back together before storage I did take it for a ride to make sure everything was working fine and never had that noise, that was back in December.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:26 am

Hey mate i wouldn't be too confident to continue riding with that level & tone of noise.....I'd strongly recommend to pull that clutch cover again to re-inspect your previous work....you may well find something very obvious. Also check for correct fittment of any possible thrust washers if this bike has them in this area.

Also how many miles has the bike done ?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
unoR

unoR

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:19 pm

GT-250 wrote:
Hey mate i wouldn't be too confident to continue riding with that level & tone of noise.....I'd strongly recommend to pull that clutch cover again to re-inspect your previous work....you may well find something very obvious. Also check for correct fittment of any possible thrust washers if this bike has them in this area.

Also how many miles has the bike done ?

Cheers.

Yeah I'm going to take a look it today and not ride the bike till I inspect it.

The bike has about 10,500 km's. When I bought it about 5475 km's.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:12 pm

^^ No worries mate, report back with any findings once you've had a look.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
unoR

unoR

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 7:26 am

edit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues   Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Weird new noise / shifting & clutch issues
Page 1 of 1