Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Front fender mod on the X

Go down 
+6
little squirt
motokid
ZED
1moreroad
CA250x
sswrx
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sswrx

sswrx

Front fender mod on the X Empty
PostSubject: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Anybody got any creative mods done to their front fender on their X? Just wondered if trimming the front edge back a few inches would improve aerodynamics on the highway & reduce some drag? Anybody think the factory already took it into consideration? Hard to believe the duckbill front end on it would be aerodynamic. I'm thinking a shorter edge would reduce wind drag. Anyone got any solid proof on what will work best on the highway through personal experiences?
Back to top Go down
CA250x

CA250x

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:59 pm

im actually goona do this today or tomorrow i just dont know how many inches to cut lol
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:06 pm

There are a few posts on this over on SMJ and on TT. Most round it out right where the duck bill widens if they're just Dremeling the stock fender.

This works:
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/viewLargerImage.do?prodFamilyId=224&navType=type with some effort. See here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-665998.html

See here: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?p=880376

I was all ready to trim mine back until the rains started coming about 3 weeks ago. Then I realized just how much cr@p that the stock fender keeps down. Front fender mod on the X 61865
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks. I did see some of the SMJ thread before. I was really wanting info on what it does for the bike after the modification. It seems to me like the fender is fighting a bunch of air at highway speed which may reduce the bike's ability to easily cruise at higher speeds.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:33 am

Well, it definitely makes it look better. I think that was the first thing I did after removing the passenger pegs.

I think it may decrease buffeting and increase highway speed too, but that's only a subjective feeling as I didn't record before and after numbers.

The SMJ posts on the topic have some good tips. I used masking tape to mark mine, then a utility knife. wink
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 8:04 am

Front fender mod on the X 454776

A shorter front fender should certainly help on any highway riding, but after playing in some muddy water last weekend I can't help but think the longer front kept me quite a bit cleaner.

So I'd guess it's a trade-off depending on what you typically ride.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 9:31 am

Got a pic of your fender you can post ZED?
ZED wrote:
Well, it definitely makes it look better. I think that was the first thing I did after removing the passenger pegs.

I think it may decrease buffeting and increase highway speed too, but that's only a subjective feeling as I didn't record before and after numbers.

The SMJ posts on the topic have some good tips. I used masking tape to mark mine, then a utility knife. Front fender mod on the X 810411
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Front fender mod on the X 34Front fender mod on the X 33-2just did mine last night

Back to top Go down
tblumer

tblumer

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 6:42 pm

MagikSC has a vinyl overlay that you put on the front fender and works as a cutting guide, pretty much eliminates the duck bill portion.
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Here is my cut and dremeled beak.

Front fender mod on the X P_00115
Front fender mod on the X P_00113
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Looking good man. thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:12 pm

Can you get a picture looking down on the fender?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 9:36 pm

Hope you meant me.....Here are a couple of top pics.
Front fender mod on the X 1259631254
Front fender mod on the X 1259631253
Front fender mod on the X 1259631255
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks. I meant you. That last one was the shot I was looking for. Very nice.

How did you cut it? Your edge looks quite nice.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 am

I cut the original part straight across about 1 inch past the "point" that is left.
I then took the cut off piece and used it as a template with a permanent marker.
Used a Dremel to cut off the pieces.

Once everything was cut I used alchohol to remove the remaining marker lines and fine sandpaper to smooth everything out.

Hope that explains everything.

THanks for the compliments. I am pretty happy with the results.
Back to top Go down
mlacey56

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 4:19 am

I chopped my stock fender to about the length of superbee24's......and as i live in the northwest I sometimes regret doing this mod!....looks killer, but when it starts to get wet or muddy out.....watch out for flying debris lol. Almost unbearable to ride at highway/freeway speeds when it really starts to pour. Its actually very distracting to see a stream of water that looks like a hose shooting at your face going 70.........worth it........????? YES. Definitely. I'm young. And I wear gear. I should be able to take couple of rocks and jet stream of water in the face/chest once in a while. Not a big deal. Lil 250x looks sweet now.
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 11:11 am

I guess my in a little longer than yours Front fender mod on the X 851577 . Mine quits throwing water back at me at about 50 mph !
Back to top Go down
mlacey56

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 5:58 am

yeah i'll post some pics here soon
Back to top Go down
mlacey56

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 6:47 am

mlacey56 wrote:
yeah i'll post some pics here soon

so...found a pic. hmmmm. it looks like mine is a little longer, so Im not sure why I'm getting so much spray in the face at speed. mine does appear to look a little more squared, or duckbill shaped.....perhaps there's some extra turbulence? ahhhhh I don't know what I'm talking about. VERY happy to see someone cutoff more than I and achieved (somewhat) positive results, as I am definitely worried about chopping more off!!! (((((((sorry for the crappy pic, I'll try to take some more.)))))) If anyone sees a major (design) flaw in the cut.....PLEASE let me know what COULD work better. I need to do work on this.

Front fender mod on the X Dscf0011
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front fender mod on the X   Front fender mod on the X Empty

Back to top Go down

Front fender mod on the X
Page 1 of 1