Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help finishing front fender mod

Go down 
+2
sswrx
jckid
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jckid

Help finishing front fender mod Empty
PostSubject: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Well I finally got the nerve to do the front fender mod this weekend. I went somewhat conservative in case I needed to take a second cut. eeek I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I could use some suggestions on smoothing out the edges though. It looks pretty good, but is there a way to make the edge look almost as nice as the factory edge? I cut the fender with a small hacksaw, then ran a file over the edges to smooth them, next ran a sander over it, then some fine sandpaper by hand, and then a pass with the dremmel with fine sandpaper. It came out pretty smooth, yet I still have a few "hairs" showing on the edges. I decided to stop there, so I didn't mess it up, and check with you guys on suggestions. Here's a pic...

Help finishing front fender mod IMG_20121021_105947_140
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 pm

You could try using a heat gun to lightly melt the fuzzy stuff so it is smooth.
Back to top Go down
jckid

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm

sswrx wrote:
You could try using a heat gun to lightly melt the fuzzy stuff so it is smooth.

I may try something like that. I still have the cut off piece, so I could practice on that first.
Back to top Go down
Bonehead

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Dig it!

thumb
Back to top Go down
Frank250X

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Looks nice! i'll probably do this mod as well on my bike
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Use a lighter to burn those fine hairs off for finished edge.
Back to top Go down
Frank250X

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Those little fine hairs should get off with a smooth file. After sanding with fine sandpaper (300 grit), try to polish the fender edge with some drill polish pads. Let's see how it turns out
Back to top Go down
leed

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 11:20 pm

It may be worth a shot to try using some cardboard to finish sanding it off. I've used it for PVC pipe before, worked surprisingly well. That said, I'm not sure how well it will work with the material of the fender. It is essentially a high grit paper.

EDIT: Just realized how old this thread is. Whoops!
Back to top Go down
Frank250X

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm

I just finished the mod and i'm quite happy with the result. Looks WAY better than original fender IMO. It's an easy mod if you take the time to cut it it properly. I used a smooth file to remove the plastic residue and 100, 150, then 220 sandpaper. The edge is now smooth.

First cut
Help finishing front fender mod IMG_0415
100 grit sanding, need a little bit more
Help finishing front fender mod IMG_0417
Final
Help finishing front fender mod IMG_0418
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help finishing front fender mod   Help finishing front fender mod Empty

Back to top Go down

Help finishing front fender mod
Page 1 of 1