Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

K&N or No Toil air filter?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CanadianWR250

CanadianWR250

K&N or No Toil air filter? Empty
PostSubject: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? EmptyWed May 04, 2016 11:33 pm

I am familiar with K&N filters but not the "No Toil" air filters, at least not until I joined this forum. Looks like more people here are leaning towards the no toil filters. Is 1 better than the other for the WR250's? What do you use? I primarily do city driving.
I am currently running with stock air filter with door removed.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? EmptyThu May 05, 2016 6:15 am

My advice is to use an oiled foam air filter, whether it be the stock one, No Toil brand, or another brand.
I also would use Maxima FFT foam filter oil and service the air filter often, not neglecting the air filter for months at a time, even if you stay on the street.

On my street motards, I'd service the air filter every 30 days.
If you ride off-road, service the air filter after each off-road ride.

Also, get used to saying or writing WR250X.
Make sure you include that X so nobody mistakes your bike for a WR250F, or even one of the 2-stroke WR250Z models from years ago, especially when ordering parts.
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? EmptyThu May 05, 2016 1:32 pm

YZEtc wrote:
My advice is to use an oiled foam air filter, whether it be the stock one, No Toil brand, or another brand.
I also would use Maxima FFT foam filter oil and service the air filter often, not neglecting the air filter for months at a time, even if you stay on the street.

On my street motards, I'd service the air filter every 30 days.
If you ride off-road, service the air filter after each off-road ride.

Also, get used to saying or writing WR250X.
Make sure you include that X so nobody mistakes your bike for a WR250F, or even one of the  2-stroke WR250Z models from years ago, especially when ordering parts.

I second this, particularly on a dirt bike.  K&Ns flow too much air (and thus dust and debris).  Dirt bikes are meant to breath through an oiled foam filter.  I've been using no-toil filters and oil for some time with no problems.  The no toil cleaner is hard on the glue on oem filters but no-toil will send you a free filter if their cleaner damages an oem filter.

-morgan
Back to top Go down
CanadianWR250

CanadianWR250

PostSubject: Re: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? EmptyFri May 06, 2016 1:20 am

morgan9283 wrote:
K&Ns flow too much air (and thus dust and debris).  Dirt bikes are meant to breath through an oiled foam filter.  I've been using no-toil filters and oil for some time with no problems.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't the air filter box door removal mod doing the same as an K&N filter would? making sure there's more air to breathe?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? EmptyFri May 06, 2016 5:29 am

What morgan9283 means is that the K&N filter will not filter-out fine dirt particles as well as an oiled foam air filter.
Back to top Go down
alansz400

PostSubject: Re: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? EmptyFri May 06, 2016 11:10 am

30K on the R and 11K on the x both with K&N filters. I ride in all plenty of dust and dirt. I have 3 filter and keep the spare washed and oiled so I can swap it out and clean the dirt filter when I want to. K&N filter on a KLX110 for 5+ years with more dust and dirt then you can imagine on MX tracks and no problems. Keep them clean and well oiled.
Back to top Go down
Jens Eskildsen

PostSubject: Re: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? EmptySun May 08, 2016 4:06 pm

KN filters are fine for dirt, no problem filtering out the dirt. My personal experience Shog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: K&N or No Toil air filter?   K&N or No Toil air filter? Empty

Back to top Go down

K&N or No Toil air filter?
Page 1 of 1